2007 St.Kilda Report Card... C+

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:I take it youve never been involved ion a football club then. Not excuses there called reasons.
I am in involved in a club and injuries are excuses not reasons.

JG

REPORT CARD

FAIR ASSESSMENT.DEFINITELY NEED MIDFIELDERS.LAST QUARTER FADE OUTS WERE DUE TO NOT HAVING ENOUGH PLAYERS TO ROTATE THROUGH THE MIDDLE.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Two key players Hayes and Goose coming back from 12 month injuries a block of games were we had 25 to pick from what would you have done.

Oh thats right its the coaches fault. Please I get as peed off as anyone when we lose but this years effort was excellent if you look at the whole picture.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
poochy64

F for f**king useless and underperforming season

sammy its time to go

we will never achieve with lyon
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

welcome back poochy, this forum has turned to s*** without you.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

CURLY if i lack football knowledge in comparisin to you, then Barry Brooks was stiff to miss out on this years brownlow :roll: :roll:

if you seriously think that the garbage football we played this year was worthy of kudos your either ignorant or just plain stupid.

over half the competition had better years than us as owts said, the stats dont lie and i'm pretty sure the crows had just as bad an injury list and managed to make finals.

the fact is, we had our chanced and f***ed them up towards the end of the year (see west coast game).

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Look at the reasons why that happened dont just look at ladder position FFS I cant remember the crows having 24 players to choose from. The fact we were still a chance to make finals proves my point. Look at Melb our season without the effort we put in could of easily become theres. We ended up playing some very competitive football with blokes going at about 60% so basically I stand by what I said.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:Look at the reasons why that happened dont just look at ladder position FFS I cant remember the crows having 24 players to choose from. The fact we were still a chance to make finals proves my point. Look at Melb our season without the effort we put in could of easily become theres. We ended up playing some very competitive football with blokes going at about 60% so basically I stand by what I said.
the reason we finished where we did on the ladder is because WE WEREN'T f****** GOOD ENOUGH!!... the crows had a very thin list in the early to middle part of the season and they showed character to battle on.

We had 24 players to pick from against the hawks, yeah so what?? the team showed no passion, aggression, character that nightand it was the worst football game i have ever seen. even with only 24 fit players, that is still enough to field a team, and all the men that took the field that night were AFL footballers and thus should be able to play to the standards required to win a game of football.

you csan stand by what you said, but if you dont condone mediocrity you should be furious with the club.
Last edited by fonz_#15 on Wed 10 Oct 2007 11:14am, edited 1 time in total.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:Look at the reasons why that happened dont just look at ladder position FFS I cant remember the crows having 24 players to choose from. The fact we were still a chance to make finals proves my point. Look at Melb our season without the effort we put in could of easily become theres. We ended up playing some very competitive football with blokes going at about 60% so basically I stand by what I said.
OK, I get where you're coming from but let's look at this objectively - the four games where we had 24 players to choose from (or whetever it was) were hawthorn at the G, Freo at Subi, Geelong and Roos at the Dome - hawthorn at the G was where the injuries came into it and that game we had no chance of winning. Put it down to luck. The we played freo in Freo which we haven't won since 2004 - put that down as a loss before the season.

geelong in round ten who were on a four match winning streak coming off giving the power a shellacking at moron park - never gonna win that one regardless of injuries and the kangaroos - had the team to do it, we just didn't want it as much as they did. Appalling effort in the end.

So those four matches would proably have given us 1-3 had we had no injuries.

The rest of the season we had a lot more luck with injuries (apart from Goddard, that was a mighty blow) but still had a adecent team. We SHOULD have been able to cover these injuries and still make the finals but we didn't. had we finished 11th or lower, it was worthy of an F, but we just missed the finals so i think we barely scraped through the season, accorsding to most people's realistic expectations.

Disappointing year with few highlights. You have to be looking at this thorugh rose-coloured glasses to see anythign more.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

it was only the hawk game where we had 24 to pick from

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Just showed your lack of knowledge right there Fonz the fact you presume that players miss games and are right as soon as there back shows you know nothing. We had 4 players play every game how do you gain any rythem or cohetion in a team with a run like that you tell me? Our two key backs played what 15 games tops between them and probably far less at the same time. The Hawthorn game was a game that could and should have been a massive hiding but you cant see that and I will tell you why Its people like you with the rose coloured glasses on not me. Only someone like you would beleive we are so good that even though with our injuries you still expect a top 4 finish. You wouldnt expect any other side to do it so why us.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:it was only the hawk game where we had 24 to pick from
Whatever - my point still stands. It was only that four week span and the goddard injury that we can really point the finger at as far as injuries go. Injuries have been our excuse every year since 2004 and I don't like it anymore. Why can't we just admit we're not good enough to mix it with the big boys of the competition - we'll be back with them by 2010 i think but for now we need to fill gaping holes and build experience in our younger players

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:it was only the hawk game where we had 24 to pick from
Whatever - my point still stands. It was only that four week span and the goddard injury that we can really point the finger at as far as injuries go. Injuries have been our excuse every year since 2004 and I don't like it anymore.
Funny how the 3 year injury run gets pointed to for a team that can't seem to get it's best palyers on the park over a 3 year period.

The Saints have been fragile for some time now, and it's not the only problem they've got, but I'm starting to think that the group that would be most surprised by the results if St. Kilda were to manage a healthy season would be Saints fans.

Perhaps we ought be targetting durability as a key attribute over trade period rather than speed or more subjective skills.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:Just showed your lack of knowledge right there Fonz the fact you presume that players miss games and are right as soon as there back shows you know nothing. We had 4 players play every game how do you gain any rythem or cohetion in a team with a run like that you tell me? Our two key backs played what 15 games tops between them and probably far less at the same time. The Hawthorn game was a game that could and should have been a massive hiding but you cant see that and I will tell you why Its people like you with the rose coloured glasses on not me. Only someone like you would beleive we are so good that even though with our injuries you still expect a top 4 finish. You wouldnt expect any other side to do it so why us.
the fact that you can't construct an argument without paragraphs shows you know nothing also....about english :roll: :roll:

your right about the hawks game, it should have been a hiding OUR WAY!! Also my presumption that players are right as soon as they come back comes from the faith a supporter should show in training services and the coaching staff to not play players when under done. Last time i checked we had a reserves team to gain match fitness/practice so it should not be an issue.

Find a quote where i said we should have finished top 4, then talk to me..don't just make BS up. The fact is we should have made the top 8, even top 6 despite all our setbacks.

also i expected the eagles to make the top 4, and they did after the H&A season, they had games with no Judd, Cousins, kerr, embley, hansen etc, and they still had the depth and character to be competitive. It was a let down to their supporters that they didn't go on and play in a prelim, and i do believe that despite the quality they had missing they should have won the collingwood game.

with the amount of crap seasons we had to recruit players like riewoldt, kosi, BJ, Ball, Dal santo and hayes, i expect and demand better than the results that the side produced this year.

LennyBoy
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Just showed your lack of knowledge right there Fonz the fact you presume that players miss games and are right as soon as there back shows you know nothing. We had 4 players play every game how do you gain any rythem or cohetion in a team with a run like that you tell me? Our two key backs played what 15 games tops between them and probably far less at the same time. The Hawthorn game was a game that could and should have been a massive hiding but you cant see that and I will tell you why Its people like you with the rose coloured glasses on not me. Only someone like you would beleive we are so good that even though with our injuries you still expect a top 4 finish. You wouldnt expect any other side to do it so why us.
the fact that you can't construct an argument without paragraphs shows you know nothing also....about english :roll: :roll:

your right about the hawks game, it should have been a hiding OUR WAY!! Also my presumption that players are right as soon as they come back comes from the faith a supporter should show in training services and the coaching staff to not play players when under done. Last time i checked we had a reserves team to gain match fitness/practice so it should not be an issue.

Find a quote where i said we should have finished top 4, then talk to me..don't just make BS up. The fact is we should have made the top 8, even top 6 despite all our setbacks.

also i expected the eagles to make the top 4, and they did after the H&A season, they had games with no Judd, Cousins, kerr, embley, hansen etc, and they still had the depth and character to be competitive. It was a let down to their supporters that they didn't go on and play in a prelim, and i do believe that despite the quality they had missing they should have won the collingwood game.

with the amount of crap seasons we had to recruit players like riewoldt, kosi, BJ, Ball, Dal santo and hayes, i expect and demand better than the results that the side produced this year.
Fonz your spot on, I couldnt agree more with what you said. I also expect and demand more from the crop of players we have produced; just there are some people that take near enough as good enough, which IMO isnt acceptable.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

First thing Fonz why and how should the Hawthorn have beem a hiding I cant wait to hear this. Remember this isnt like the under 11s you play in were all the players are the same so it doesnt matter who plays. Second yes the injury has healed and may not go again but fitness and touch is lost and takes time to get back you will learn this when you grow up. Third thing the fact you say the Eagles should have won the Colling wood game well guess what they didnt! Why? Injuries nothing more nothing less.

Fonz, who cares about paragraphs Year 12 English exams were long ago. :roll:

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:First thing Fonz why and how should the Hawthorn have beem a hiding I cant wait to hear this. Remember this isnt like the under 11s you play in were all the players are the same so it doesnt matter who plays. Second yes the injury has healed and may not go again but fitness and touch is lost and takes time to get back you will learn this when you grow up. Third thing the fact you say the Eagles should have won the Colling wood game well guess what they didnt! Why? Injuries nothing more nothing less.

Fonz, who cares about paragraphs Year 12 English exams were long ago. :roll:
first thing Curly, the hawks really aren't that great, they have 6-7 players who i consider to be of real quality. When we played them back in round 8 they had not set the competition alight. We are a far better football team and that is why we should have won that game.

second thing. Do you actually read? i said in my previous post that this is why we have reserves, and that training services and coaching staff should not play players underdone.

3rd thing: West Coast lost because, Collingwood stood up and showed character and grit through the adversity of extra time, woul our side do that?? i think not. You can't pick and choose what you respond to..i also stated that the eagles still managed to play a very good season despite numerous injury losses throughout the year to excellent players.

was there a time where our marquee players such as Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Kosi, Hayes, Ball were out AT THE SAME TIME, such was the case with West Coast.. Fact is Roo missed the 1st 2 games, Dal didn't miss a game, Kosi only 3-4 and ball quite a few, however thet were not at the same time as each other which was the case with west coast.

Finally, despite laughing at the crap you write, paragraphs are a handy tool to making a little bit of sense, and for me year 12 exams were last year. Also when you are behind the 8 ball and not making a word of sense, please don't resort to calling me an 11 year old, it just screams immaturity.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Interesting discussion ... I sort of agree with both of you.

Clearly, our season wasn't a successful one, and the manner in which we missed the finals suggests we should have been playing football in September.

That said, there was not one person on here who thought we could make the finals after Round 11.

In Round 8 against the Hawks, we had only 1 player on our list not selected or injured, and that was Raymond.

We had 26 to pick from the following week in Round 9 ... we regained Montagna and Baker.

We had 28 to pick from in Round 10, and from then on our injury list was about normal.

Now that's bad enough ...... but at the same-time we were attempting to adapt to a new coach and gameplan, which was clearly taking some adjusting to.

For that process to be successful, you need to have continuity with your side, and we didn't.

It's all very well to carry on and say "You're just making excuses, we should have done better".

But that's an equally ignorant position as just blaming everything on injuries/the draw/coaching.

It's a bit of both ... there were clearly issues such as injuries that kept us from performing at our best.

At the same time, we had a good enough group of players on the park for enough matches to play finals, and we didn't. So in that aspect we failed.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:Interesting discussion ... I sort of agree with both of you.

Clearly, our season wasn't a successful one, and the manner in which we missed the finals suggests we should have been playing football in September.

That said, there was not one person on here who thought we could make the finals after Round 11.

In Round 8 against the Hawks, we had only 1 player on our list not selected or injured, and that was Raymond.

We had 26 to pick from the following week in Round 9 ... we regained Montagna and Baker.

We had 28 to pick from in Round 10, and from then on our injury list was about normal.

Now that's bad enough ...... but at the same-time we were attempting to adapt to a new coach and gameplan, which was clearly taking some adjusting to.

For that process to be successful, you need to have continuity with your side, and we didn't.

It's all very well to carry on and say "You're just making excuses, we should have done better".

But that's an equally ignorant position as just blaming everything on injuries/the draw/coaching.

It's a bit of both ... there were clearly issues such as injuries that kept us from performing at our best.

At the same time, we had a good enough group of players on the park for enough matches to play finals, and we didn't. So in that aspect we failed.

good post owts, its funny how some can have differing opinions yet still be reasonable and not tell the other person who disagrees with them that they know nothing about football.

regardless, our season was poor at best.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I thought the article was a very fair assessment of our season. We finished right around the middle and they gave us a very middling grade. We're all disappointed by what happened this year, but there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic for next season.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:I thought the article was a very fair assessment of our season. We finished right around the middle and they gave us a very middling grade. We're all disappointed by what happened this year, but there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic for next season.
CURLY isn't...he/she has a raging hardon over our season and rated it an A-. That same poster had the nerve to tell me i know nothing about football.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:I thought the article was a very fair assessment of our season. We finished right around the middle and they gave us a very middling grade. We're all disappointed by what happened this year, but there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic for next season.
CURLY isn't...he/she has a raging hardon over our season and rated it an A-. That same poster had the nerve to tell me i know nothing about football.
Fonz you make me laugh at your stupid remarks. When I judged our season yes I was dissapointed not to make the finals but looking at the season and the events that took place two things stood out our depth and Lyon can coach. If we went through the season with a majority of our best 22 playing 20 games and the result was the same I to would have given a mark far lower than C. But it was clear to see to all other than One eyed no nothings who beleive our 38th ranked player is of ALL AUSTRALIAN quality and that injuries have no effect on a team as we have back ups. HA HAAHAHAHAH

Do you know or understand how the salary cap works or the draft? I think not. Or are we the only side who can stockpile 6-7 gun players for each position wake up and have a look Fonz your in a dreamworld. Im sure at the start of the seaon Lyon wasnt planning on having Gwilt play on Hall Lloyd and Fevola. So please have a look at what goes on and take off the rose coloured galsses we are the same as every club our depth can only stretch so far.