Ruck Stocks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supersaints
Club Player

I really worry about Ken Sheldons input into recruiting and noe Tony Elshaws ability after making the comment "" We might go after King because we went after 34 year old Clark last year".. as if it was same brilliant coup - not the embarrassment it was. Cameron Woods has got so much more to offer than Blake or King as he also has potential to play as a ruck / forward.
Mark Blake is at best a potential reasonable ruckman, He kicks poorly (2 goals 6 points) Doesn't run hard around the ground. Lacks the footy smarts to block up holes by himself (watch the Geelong runner always coming out and telling him where to go) He never kicks the ball .... always waits for someone running past .... what a waste of a draft pick if we go for him
..and don't forget he is a handbagger. King is injury prone and with Gardiner and Clark last year you think we would have learned our lesson.... apparently not.....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

There's no problem taking King if his wages are cheap and the deal is dirt cheap.

Think about it - Phil Raymond occupied a spot on our list last year...I'm sure we could make room for King.

I understand it's a problem having both Gardiner and King on our list - they are both injury-prone - but I'd like to think one of them would come good for 2008, which would be worth so much to us, and excellent considering we'd given up so little.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
The Saints are in a crowded field vying for a ruckman, but they need to be — the club has had trouble filling the role since the lack of faith in ruckmen displayed by former coach Grant Thomas in the first half of the decade, the retirement of Matthew Clarke, the doubts about Michael Gardiner's ability to return to the game and the failure of Barry Brooks.
the gt ruck myth continues. what he said was he didn't rate ordinary ruckmen ... well neither do i.

for mine they need to be able to do a lot more than just win a few tapouts, otherwise they become a waste of space around the ground.

unfortunately, really good ones - who can win tapouts and dominate in general play - are rare ... probably because they take so long to develop.

Yes it is true...that is what GT said.

But also what GT DID was to trade away our only decent ruckman.....and never gained a replacement in the seniors for him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Blake wil leave the Cats...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:I really worry about Ken Sheldons input into recruiting and noe Tony Elshaws ability after making the comment "" We might go after King because we went after 34 year old Clark last year".. as if it was same brilliant coup - not the embarrassment it was. Cameron Woods has got so much more to offer than Blake or King as he also has potential to play as a ruck / forward.
Mark Blake is at best a potential reasonable ruckman, He kicks poorly (2 goals 6 points) Doesn't run hard around the ground. Lacks the footy smarts to block up holes by himself (watch the Geelong runner always coming out and telling him where to go) He never kicks the ball .... always waits for someone running past .... what a waste of a draft pick if we go for him
..and don't forget he is a handbagger. King is injury prone and with Gardiner and Clark last year you think we would have learned our lesson.... apparently not.....
just one nit pick on your post you say blake cant kick cause his 2 goal 6 points but again how many bags of goals did gardi kick last year ? or brooks heck even Rix ?? also you say he never kicks the ball always waits for someone running past . well most ppl would rate Sandilands a top quallity Ruckman and he does exactly the same its called playing to you strengths i would rather a player give it off to a bloke who can hit a target then a bloke who will blaze away a kick to no one

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

supersaints wrote:I really worry about Ken Sheldons input into recruiting and noe Tony Elshaws ability after making the comment "" We might go after King because we went after 34 year old Clark last year".. as if it was same brilliant coup - not the embarrassment it was.
Embarassment? The Saints gave up precisely 0 for Clarke, who was taken in the PSD. We got what we payed for.

What he said (that I've read) wasn't that we'd chase King, but that if we were approached regarding King, age wouldn't necessarily put us off. i.e. replacing a 34 y/o with a 28 y/o who can play a bit is an option since we're clearly targetting a ruckman.
Cameron Woods has got so much more to offer than Blake or King as he also has potential to play as a ruck / forward.
He also appears to cost a first rounder, dependant on Collingwood (from whose dilemma we can infer we've offered a 2nd for Wood)... assuming Brisbane's willing to deal of course, since Wood's under contract.

If the price is right, of course Wood's the preference, but if Collingwood ponies up a 1st rounder, he's not worth pick #9 IMO.
Last edited by BAM! (shhhh) on Tue 09 Oct 2007 3:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
maverick
Saintsational Legend

If we get a ruckman through trading we will be paying over the odds, because everyone wants one.

King would cost a 3rd rounder possibly 2nd
Blake, Wood, Meeson and Hudson would cost a 2nd rounder

This is why Clarke was worth a try last year...he was free.

If we don't trade for one with a 2nd rounder we must draft one with our 2nd pick.

Blake and Rix rucking next year is what we are looking at right now....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:But also what GT DID was to trade away our only decent ruckman.....and never gained a replacement in the seniors for him.
we're better off without that particular ruckman. not a team player

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think we should take a punt on draftinga ruckman. All those old enough to remember a certain fair haired 17 yr old ruckmans debut and the media frenzy he caused. A good ruckman does not necessarily have to be in the system for years before he earns his keep.

woooosaints
Club Player

id rather draft wood but really say to barry this is ur time to shine buddy

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:id rather draft wood but really say to barry this is ur time to shine buddy
from our departed springvale coach words would have indicated that brooks was ready this season but we persisted with rix and doc..

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

What's the deal with Wood? Is he off the table or what? Certainly worth looking into. Some flog on bigfooty thinks he is worth Armitage :roll:

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Go for Warnock!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:What's the deal with Wood? Is he off the table or what? Certainly worth looking into. Some flog on bigfooty thinks he is worth Armitage :roll:
Wood is still up for grabs.

As as you imply...there is is no way we would give up Armo......he is our ONLY emerging young midfielder art from the Rookies.

If we traded him we would havea huge gap .

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

What about - don't shoot me down, i don't usually do trade ideas, they're no my forte - Someone like Leigh Fisher for Wood? If we're going a straight swap. Most of our midfielders and defenders are interchangable so i think that's a good area to go for. It's not the worst we could do is it?
I don't mean Leigh Fisher necessarily, but someone in the same mould as him - or should we be developing him/these players more too?

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:Go for Warnock!
How old is he?

Saint 58
Club Player

What about - Pick 9 - for Schneider and Pick 11 (Syd)
then - Pick 11 - for Wood and Pick 25 (Bris)

We lose Pick 9 but gain Wood, Schneider and Pick 25,
and as an added bonus we trump the Pies for Wood.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I like that last one but I don't think the swans will go for that first one.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Robert Warnock
Fast Facts
Jumper No: 34

Height: 205

Weight: 95

DOB: 1987-01-19

Recruited From: Old Brighton/Sandringham U18

2007 Home & Away Totals
Matches: 12

Goals: 4

Marks: 39

Disposals: 117

Kicks: 63

Very mobile & skilful for his height... was excellent when Sandilands got injured although had a bad game against St.Kilda.

Is under contract for 2008 but has made noises about coming home & the Dockers may move him on for the right deal.

Would be our ruckman for the next 8-10 years

woooosaints
Club Player

yeah warnock would be a great pick up