Quick question about membership

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Raven
Club Player

Quick question about membership

So I'll be becoming a member for the 2008 season. Just had a couple of questions, maybe this is the wrong place to ask but I'm a long time Saintsational reader, first time poster.

I've been reading about club membership vs AFL membership with club support. It seems the AFL membership is more expensive but it has much greater benefits.

My main question is, what's the etiquette here, how is this viewed in the community? i.e. are AFL members considered traitors because they didn't give 100% of the money to the club? Or are most people AFL members anyway? AFL members still count towards the club membership numbers, right?

I guess my point is, I wanna support the club, but I want the option with the most benefits. I just don't wanna become an AFL member only to find I'm outcast by the club members because it's considered the bad option, if you get my drift.

Or am I making a huge deal out of nothing?

Cheers.
Last edited by Raven on Mon 08 Oct 2007 10:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

A lot of people who post on saintsational aren't even members so it's a start atleast, I don't really think anyone would care which one you go far because it seems either way that the club get money, but just to be safe make sure you buy a new jumper from the club before next season...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Quick question about membership

Raven wrote:So I'll be becoming a member for the 2008 season. Just had a couple of questions, maybe this is the wrong place to ask but I'm a long time Satinsational reader, first time poster.

I've been reading about club membership vs AFL membership with club support. It seems the AFL membership is more expensive but it has much greater benefits.

My main question is, what's the etiquette here, how is this viewed in the community? i.e. are AFL members considered traitors because they didn't give 100% of the money to the club? Or are most people AFL members anyway? AFL members still count towards the club membership numbers, right?

I guess my point is, I wanna support the club, but I want the option with the main benefits. I just don't wanna become an AFL member only to find I'm outcast by the club members, if you get my drift.

Cheers.
I am an AFL member with Saints package. Unless you like throwing away $400 I would become a Saints member with social club package if you think we can make the Grand Final. The only reason I would get AFL now if I didnt already have it is if I like watching footy games or finals that the Saints are not in which I dont. The only other benifit is the chance of seeing the Grand Final if the Saints arent in it. I have been lucky to get a ticket the last few years because of interstae teams. Not sure id get one if there was 2 Vic teams in it.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Raven wrote:So I'll be becoming a member for the 2008 season. Just had a couple of questions, maybe this is the wrong place to ask but I'm a long time Satinsational reader, first time poster.

I guess my point is, I wanna support the club, but I want the option with the most benefits. I just don't wanna become an AFL member only to find I'm outcast by the club members because it's considered the bad option, if you get my drift.

Cheers.
Hi mate, and welcome.

I'm both a St Kilda member and Full AFL Member with St Kilda club support.

If you are looking to do just one of them, the best way to do it will be to maybe get the AFL membership, with club support, and add a social club membership.

This will get you the full package. As well as a guaranteed Grand Final ticket if we make it, you can also get one if we don't. GF tickets, and other finals tickets are much cheaper than just through a club membership or general admin.

The AFL is well worth the dollars. 40 matches a year access (walk up and pre-booked) and cheaper finals tickets, aswell as adding another member to the Saints tally.

Good to have you on board the bus in 2008!

They walk amongst us...

The Peanut
Club Player

Cheers.
Welcome to Saintsational - you should just ask yourself - 'Who do I support, the AFL or St Kilda. Why give the AFL your money if its St Kilda you follow - the club needs members to keep up with the rich clubs - dah dah dah

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

The Peanut wrote:

Cheers.
Welcome to Saintsational - you should just ask yourself - 'Who do I support, the AFL or St Kilda. Why give the AFL your money if its St Kilda you follow - the club needs members to keep up with the rich clubs - dah dah dah
agreed! Screw the AFL!! big time. I friggin hate the AFL and their ridiculous ideas/rule changes/policies....I Support and give my money to the saints solely. Just worry about our club and join up, let the AFL run their own dictatorship/competition.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
The Peanut wrote:

Cheers.
agreed! Screw the AFL!! big time. I friggin hate the AFL and their ridiculous ideas/rule changes/policies....I Support and give my money to the saints solely. Just worry about our club and join up, let the AFL run their own dictatorship/competition.

I agree lets get rid of the AFL. Go back to the VFL where all clubs had no money. Why follow a competition that is the biggest and best in the country. Lets get back to 12 Victorian sides. I say lets do it now.

linz
Club Player

No, that's not what it's about. Support your club (whowever it is) and buy a club (not afl) membership. Simple really. If you want to see the Saints win the flag in 2008 buy a Social Club Membership. If you want to guarantee a seat for next years GF you may have to pay a little more BUT AT LEAST YOU SUPPORTED THE CLUB> After all you are not a true supporter unless you are a member.
plugger66 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:
The Peanut wrote:

Cheers.

I agree lets get rid of the AFL. Go back to the VFL where all clubs had no money. Why follow a competition that is the biggest and best in the country. Lets get back to 12 Victorian sides. I say lets do it now.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

JUst a note on AFL Membership

The $400-odd gets you Silver Membership..there is a waiting list for Full Membership..and that Silver level does NOT garauntee you a GF seat.

THis year Silver Members could not get access to grand OR Preliminary Final tickets due to demand from Full Members.

Welcome to SS.....the ride of your life ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
jk23
Club Player

"Ride of your life" I think this would make a fantastic slogan for the 2008 season.....

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:JUst a note on AFL Membership

The $400-odd gets you Silver Membership..there is a waiting list for Full Membership..and that Silver level does NOT garauntee you a GF seat.

THis year Silver Members could not get access to grand OR Preliminary Final tickets due to demand from Full Members.

Welcome to SS.....the ride of your life ;-)
Is that AFL or MCC saint66au
what is the current waiting list for MCC membership

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Raven
Club Player

Cheers for the responses, guys.

I've got a lot to think about. I'm all for supporting the club and I'll go to every Victorian Saints game next year (transport allowing of course), but I do enjoy going to games with mates who support other clubs if that week the Saints are playing interstate. So, I guess the AFL membership does suit me better.

I'll have to sit down and work out the percentage that is given to the club from an AFL membership fee, vs the full amount from a club fee, and see how the amounts compare. If there's a major difference, I guess I'll think about it a bit more. :wink:

The way I see it, if I'm a Silver AFL member, I'm still joining the Saints numbers and giving the club money etc, but at the same time I'm working towards a full AFL membership 5-10 years down the track. Can't hurt, right? It's win-win.

And yeah, a social club membership is definitely on the cards for me. I'll just have to find out how to join that, as right now I have no idea and haven't really researched it.

Good to be posting finally, GO SAINTS in '08!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Our daughters full MCC membership came through this year. She is 19 and we put her name down at birth.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Raven wrote:Cheers for the responses, guys.

And yeah, a social club membership is definitely on the cards for me. I'll just have to find out how to join that, as right now I have no idea and haven't really researched it.

Good to be posting finally, GO SAINTS in '08!
just grab a saints membership form and fill out social club area only

I know of someone who has AFL But who was also gettting saints reserved seating at TD. to ensure good seats.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Our daughters full MCC membership came through this year. She is 19 and we put her name down at birth.
I have mates who I nonimated for MCC membership in 1996 who aren't even restricted members yet!

They should be restricted in a year or two.

I'd guess the waiting list if you're nominated now would be about 15 years to be a restricted member and at least 25 years perhaps 30 for full membership.

The waiting list is huge and growing - the oldies are living longer also....

Anyway, I wouldn't touch an AFL membership - get a Saints one instead, screw Demetriou!!