What's Archie's role in Trade Week?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

carn_sainter
Club Player

What's Archie's role in Trade Week?

Seeing Greg Swann heavily involved in Carlton's dealings got me wondering about Archie's role in trade week.

Presumably, all CEOs are used because of their negotiation skills.

So, do they have a say in who we pursue or are they simply given instructions such as we want player X and are willing to give up the following?

What is Archie doing for his pay this week?

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

i thought sheldon was in charge last year

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Some clubs do it differently, and play to their strengths of whoever is involved.

For instance, at the Swans Andrew Ireland is in charge, and Graeme Allen is in charge at Brisbane.

Sheldon and Lyon handle things for us, and I suppose consult with Archie re: payments/contracts and that sort of thing.

I believe Swan would be involved because of Judd - Pratt probably wants him there to keep an eye on things.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Greg Swann is the type of bloke you could sit in a coaches box on match day and he'd be very handy.

Brian Waldron was much the same.

Both understand the mechanics of the game, trading, drafting, recruiting, player development, tactics, etc., as well as the off-field things that matter in keeping a club running smoothly and efficiently.

Admin with high degrees of FI are worth their weight in gold. Off-field men who aren't at one with football often get lost with the volatility of the game.

Campbell Rose is an exception - he knows squat about footy - but he committed to bringing in people around him who did, and putting trust in them to deliver. He's concentrated on what he can do fiscally, and has really tightened their ship. He's also put so much energy in the Whitten Oval redevelopment; a truly magnificent effort.

It's hard to know what Archie offers, because to be brutally honest, he hasn't shown us. All we see/hear are negatives about things that have happened under his tenure as CEO...and anything that's been positive seems to have been a knee-jerk rather than being proactive.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote: Brian Waldron was much the same.
This guy was a big loss to our club, at least he has sucess now with the Storm

Before Im 85
supersaints
Club Player

Hope Archie stays in the bar... he showed how good his negotiating was with Moorabin City Council and with the number of staff who left the club because of his abrupt management style !!!
As for Ken Sheldon although I love him as an ex player and coach his performances with tribunals and recruiting negotiations are at best average (ask Stephen Baker why they didnt bother to get legal advise from thier own board member before he was crucified?)

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saintm
Club Player

supersaints wrote:Hope Archie stays in the bar... he showed how good his negotiating was with Moorabin City Council and with the number of staff who left the club because of his abrupt management style !!!
This was the impression I had gained too but the word from the new board is that he will most likely be kept on as CEO. Perhaps we have read it wrong???

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I got the impression Archie was at loggerheads with Rod Butterss and was limited in what he could do.

That being said, I havent been the biggest fan of Archie so far. Lets hope if he does keep the job he can show us something.

The Craw
Club Player

AF comes with fantastic credentials. Was initially brought over from Scotland to play elite level soccer in Aus, can’t recall what it was called then but has had exposure to team sport, also a very successful businessman. Has strong ties with Jim Watts hence why I rate him.

Very hard to judge when he came on board mid season 2006 and had to work under a clearly unstable board.

Should be given a chance IMO.

Not Craw, CRAW!
The Peanut
Club Player

supersaints wrote:Hope Archie stays in the bar... he showed how good his negotiating was with Moorabin City Council and with the number of staff who left the club because of his abrupt management style !!!
As for Ken Sheldon although I love him as an ex player and coach his performances with tribunals and recruiting negotiations are at best average (ask Stephen Baker why they didnt bother to get legal advise from thier own board member before he was crucified?)
hmmm I wouldn't mind if you flesh this info out a bit please, if you will - Have you any information that we don't know about with your accusations re Archie? - if so, fill us in. There have been rumours around that there were some staff issues at the club last year but as far as I know it was never made clear that AF was in the wrong. Perhaps I have missed something - and I must have missed a fair bit re the Moorabbin/Kingston fiasco - cause from what I have heard it was 'someone else' that stuffed that up. :?:

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

saintsrus wrote:
Which is precisely why we need to move heaven and earth to get him back to Linton St. Can't have the Storm winning on and off field it just isn't fair. :wink:

Go the Broncos

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Maybe it's guilt by association with Archie...

A lot of bad things have happened during his tenure, and anything good seems to have been either knee-jerk or well overdue.

Whether he is to blame or not is another matter, I suppose.

Clearly you rate him, The Craw, I'd be interested to know why and how you've viewed his progress in the role of CEO post-Watts and Waldron.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Archie hasn't exactly had an easy time.

He's walked into an organisation that was turned upside down 3 months after he got there with the sacking of a major executive (not his fault)

As well as having to deal with the fallout from that, he has walked into the club as it's on-field performance has started to decline (not his fault), and rising discontentment amongst the fans (not his fault)

Then around six months into his tenure, he has had to deal with the negotiations surrounding Moorabbin, which were interrupted by RB when he came back from O/S (not his fault)

On top of that, there have been discussions about a board challenge from early in the '07 season, and these have unsettled the club a lot (not his fault)

Finally, he has had to manage a staff that is increasingly over-worked and performing far too much for the resources they are given (not his fault per se)

IMO Archie has performed admirably under the circumstances. The next 12-24 months are where we will find out whether or not he is a capable CEO.

Compare his tenure to Jim Watts, who had 0 instability, successful on-field performance and a stable major sponsor. Plus more talented people (i.e. David Friend) at the club.

Makes things a bit easier, doesn't it?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Brian Collis
Club Player

saintsrus wrote:

If he kept his dick in his pants he'd still be with us

supersaints
Club Player

The Peanut wrote:
hmmm I wouldn't mind if you flesh this info out a bit please, if you will - Have you any information that we don't know about with your accusations re Archie? - if so, fill us in. There have been rumours around that there were some staff issues at the club last year but as far as I know it was never made clear that AF was in the wrong. Perhaps I have missed something - and I must have missed a fair bit re the Moorabbin/Kingston fiasco - cause from what I have heard it was 'someone else' that stuffed that up. :?:
Archie had to front the AFL HR department for treatment of his staff, there is enogh info in this age article http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 21057.html

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Brian Collis
Club Player

F*** off Caro, go dig some dirt on your club

The Peanut
Club Player

supersaints wrote:Archie had to front the AFL HR department for treatment of his staff, there is enogh info in this age article http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 21057.html
... In the meantime, the president, Rod Butterss — a likeable but unpredictable leader who destabilised the club with his ill-timed attack on former coach and ex-best friend Grant Thomas back in June — fell out with chief executive Archie Fraser, who in turn appeared to have issues with the football manager. The two couldn't seem to agree on anything.

Early in the season, Fraser fell foul of the AFL's new human resources set-up because he had been too tough on several staff members — all of whom seemed stressed and overworked because there were so few of them. Fraser also fell out with his deputy James van Beek, who had some issues of his own with staff members.

Van Beek departed to work for Concept Sports — a company several St Kilda directors own shares in. And still the Saints kept getting injured. Despite their bad injury record for most of Thomas' tenure, only a year ago did the club get serious about tackling it. The latest in a long list of fitness and conditioning managers, Craig Starcevich, departed over summer for personal reasons. Meanwhile, the club's vice-president, Ross Levin, fell out with Butterss and his inner sanctum of Glenn Casey, who used to employ Sheldon at Nylex, and football director Mark Kellett. Seasoned board campaigner Ray King also fell out with the rebel directors.

I genuinely would like to get to the bottom of this but you would think that Caro would have fleshed it out further than the above if there was any more than AF fronting the AFL after a complaint was made by a long term staff member. If the above Caro opiniated piece is all you have, you are easier to please than me. It has been made very clear by Greg Westaway, the media and some insiders that staff have been overworked and on the edge.

I think that the Westaway board will be willing to give Archie a go and sort out what he is really worth - if he ain't good enough he will be moved on - but I reckon he and the other senior staff members need a break right now - before the board split and during it must have been hell for them.

asiu

He's walked into an organisation that was turned upside down 3 months after he got there with the sacking of a major executive
given that rb reckoned gt's head was on the block for six months ....one would assume the scotsman, from day dot, knew exactly what his role was !!