government about to get tough on afl over drugs.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Most of the guys who have been caught using drugs in the AFL have been alcohol impaired. I dont think when use they will be thinking about being named. As for the notion that drugs kill brain cells so you play better in pain well so does grog so we better ban that. i really think that is a low bow to say you will feel pain because you have an eccy 2 weeks earlier. Also didnt you say they can use what they like out of season. Well that means they can wreck their brain out of season as well.
The effects of alcohol has been studied a lot more than the effects of recreational drugs (aswell as the fact that every pill is different) and it has been deemed that alcohol is acceptable. As well as that alcohol is a very big part of our society and it would be far too hard to stop the players from doing. So what I am trying to say is that everytime you drink alcohol there are no surprises you know what will happen and what wont, whereas with drugs it is more of a lucky dip and seeing as there is no way that they can all be tested to make sure that none are performance enhancing they must all be banned.
But they are out of your system in 24 hours so how can they help your performance on match day apart from not feeling pain because part of your brain is dead which I really doubt.
Most are out of your system, again it comes down to what can be considered performance enhancing and what can't be, for all we know there could be drugs that can stay in your system for weeks. Because there are so many different types of drugs that have so many different effects they should all be banned, and for something to be banned it can't be optional there have to be tough consequences.
Can I say if they are in your system for weeks then if you are tested on match day you get 2 years what ever drug it is so they are tough on recreational drugs on match day because the evidence suggests that is the only time they are performance enhancing.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tampa 2 in the year of election!

Megamaguire wrote:More grandstanding from the little dictator and his cronies. This is pure mindless searching for an issue that is not climate change related and preferably an issue that acts as a red herring to take attention of the despicable IR laws introduced by his dictatorship (Howard). The afl does a better job than just about any other sporting body on this issue. I can't even write the d word as i'm sick of hearing it. There are a stack of more important issues our 'representative ' federal government should be tackling but wont (climate change; mistreatment and fleecing of workers; independence of the media; iraq; democratic sensibilities; health; education; bank regulation; mortage crisis etc. The Howard government is drunk on its own notion that it has to control EVERYTHING. Dont get sucked in to their very questionable motivations.

Back to footy - Saw in the herald bum that Xavier Clarke was highlighted as a player the club could and maybe would trade in the persuit of C.Wood. Xavier has been in the frustrating category for a few years now as most of us feel he hasn't actualised his potential but i'd like to see him get another chance. I thought he showed a lot of good form at times this year especially with winning the ball and with his delivery into the forward line. Consistency is the thing though. I really hope the Clarkes come on.

G O S A I N T S !
I would still rather that little dictator over that pompous prick Rudd.
As for Xavier I wouldn't want to see him go, he just seems like the sort of player that we would let go that would go on to dominate at his new club. He has also been around for a long time now and it could upset the team. As for Wood there is no way he would be worth that much anyway, St.Kilda don't really need another average ruckman anyway and Brisbane would probably want to take the best that they could get for him rather than let him rot in the 2s. With Lewie and Charman in the side Wood becomes worthless to them so lets give them an equivalent offer, if they take it, great, if they don't it's no big issue we probably aren't missing out on much.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!