roo lays down a challenge

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

roo lays down a challenge

NICK Riewoldt last night made an impassioned plea to his teammates to get honest with each other and raise their standards generally so St Kilda finally could break its premiership drought.

And, after equalling a club record by winning a fourth best and fairest award, the 24-year-old co-captain admitted that even he had not been doing everything he could to achieve ultimate success.

"To the players, it's obvious we're all great mates and we all love each other and we all get along really well, but I think too often we often let our mateship get in the way of the truth and it gets in the way of us doing and saying the things we need to do and say to get a premiership," Riewoldt said as he accepted his fourth Trevor Barker Medal.

"We need to go away and ask ourselves honestly . . . 'Am I doing everything I can to win St Kilda a premiership?'. Because I know I'm not.

"When we get back on November 5 and we walk through that door, we're getting on a bus together and we're going down a road towards a premiership."

After acknowledging the former board led by Rod Butterss, who did not attend last night, Riewoldt extended his plea for improvement to the incoming board, to be led by Greg Westaway.

"To the incoming board — you've talked the talk, now it's time for you to deliver on what you've said in the media," Riewoldt said.

Riewoldt's win equalled the club record set by St Kilda stars Robert Harvey and Bill Cubbins.

In only seven seasons, Riewoldt, a Saints co-captain, has received as many club gongs as 36-year-old Harvey has over 20 years. Cubbins, also a former skipper who played for St Kilda between 1915-30, was regarded as the finest full-back of his era.

The winner of the same accolade last year, in 2002 and 2004, Riewoldt finished ahead of defender Sam Fisher — who bettered his third placing of 2006 and is now the side's leading backman — and the much improved Leigh Montagna.

Sam Gilbert was voted the most promising new player, while retirees Fraser Gehrig, Andrew Thompson, Aaron Hamill, Brett Voss and Matthew Clarke were recognised at the dinner that was attended by 900 people and held at Docklands.

noreason41
Club Player

Re: roo lays down a challenge

bigcarl wrote:"We need to go away and ask ourselves honestly . . . 'Am I doing everything I can to win St Kilda a premiership?'. Because I know I'm not.
:?
And why not?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend