Another Board Challenge!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

my les foote
Club Player

Another Board Challenge!

http://news.realfooty.com.au/riewoldt-i ... -12ry.html

Riewoldt issues challenge to board

October 6, 2007 - 12:15AM

St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt has challenged his club's incoming board to deliver on its promises, and his teammates to deliver on their potential.

Riewoldt, who won his fourth Trevor Barker Award as the Saints' best and fairest player, used his acceptance speech to call for action at board level and a player-driven revolution to improve the club's on-field performance.

St Kilda president-elect Greg Westaway, who was handed power when president Rod Butterss and four of his board members resigned this week, decided not to use the best and fairest function as a political platform.

He said his group's plan would be outlined later.

Instead, Riewoldt played political force.

He challenged transport company boss Westaway and his incoming board, which will include former Saints players Nathan Burke and Andrew Thompson, to make good on their promise of change.

Among their promises are more funds to ensure a better resourced football department.

"You've talked the talk, now it's time to deliver on what you've said," Riewoldt said in his acceptance speech.

In a stirring speech, Riewoldt also demanded more of his teammates, urging them to take a leaf out of Geelong's book and springboard from finals hasbeens to premiership winners in 2008.

"We've really come to a fork in the road. The way I see it we were a competitive team this year, and that's about it," Riewoldt said.

"We can go one of two ways - we can be a competitive football team and hover around the mark, or we can go down the road to a premiership.

"Too often we let our mateship get in the way of the truth and it gets in the way of us doing and saying the things we need to do and say to win a premiership.

"Until we have everyone asking themselves honestly the question 'am I doing enough' and challenging each other on it, then we're not going to achieve what we want to achieve." Saints coach Ross Lyon said the players had held a meeting to outline their objectives for 2008, following on from a mid-2007 meeting in which they attempted to put right their second half of the season.

He also signalled a huge pre-season effort from the club when they return to training on November 5.

"We've recommitted to that aim of being a great team today, and we've acknowledged that premierships are won through November, December, January and February," Lyon said.

Riewoldt comfortably won the Trevor Barker Award, beating defender Sam Fisher and onballer Leigh Montagna.

The club also paid tribute to retiring players including Thompson, Fraser Gehrig, Brett Voss and Aaron Hamill.

Veteran Robert Harvey, who was sporting a cast on his left arm following post-season hand surgery, was also honoured for becoming the first Saints player to reach 350 AFL games.

Win it for HIM!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

lol...got me :lol:

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i think its about time that roo has become the outspoken leader of this football club that it needs

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

all excellent signs for our future

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

This is the first thing that has really made it clear that Riewoldt should be Captain of the St. Kilda Footy Team. Good on him, it's a cutthroat business, and things need to be said.

Players need to be accountable to each other, first and foremost. If Barry Brooks sucks, tell it to his face. If Goose needs to pull his head in, tell it to his face. It's this sort of accountability within the group that breeds a winning culture.

Shades
Club Player

Good on ya roo

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I never knew Robert Harvey had surgery on his hand - did anyone else know that? It hasn't been discussed on this website, that I've seen. What happened? How long is the recovery?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

iv seen him a few times with plaster on his hand (when he announced he would play on and at brownlow) so i guessed

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Based on that speech from Roo, I'm tipping he just might be the sole captain next season.

MarkinUSA, Harves had a ligament reattached in his wrist a few weeks back. Was discussed when he had his press release announcing he was playing on next season.

buzfromgronggrong

C'mon Les - does there need to be any more evidence that this guy is the natural leader of the club?

He simply HAS to be made sole captain next season.

He is so far ahead of the pack it aint funny.

Nick as skipper + Lenny as vice = Saints Premiers 2008!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I was speaking to some players after his speach and they were not as impressed about his speach as the fans were. They said it was more done for the supportors than players.

quidnunc
Club Player

Nah, Plugger - I reckon he was challenging the players for the teams benefit not the supporters.

Of the players you spoke to and who suggested the speech was for the supporters - can you tell me how many of them could honestly say they gave it 100% throughout the year?

If they did give a 100%, and if you spoke to alot of the players - we're in a bit of trouble!

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

quidnunc wrote:Nah, Plugger - I reckon he was challenging the players for the teams benefit not the supporters.

Of the players you spoke to and who suggested the speech was for the supporters - can you tell me how many of them could honestly say they gave it 100% throughout the year?

If they did give a 100%, and if you spoke to alot of the players - we're in a bit of trouble!
They werent saying they gave 100% but on nights like that speeches mean bugger all to players but a lot more to supportors at the function and that came from 2 players I spoke to.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
quidnunc wrote:Nah, Plugger - I reckon he was challenging the players for the teams benefit not the supporters.

They werent saying they gave 100% but on nights like that speeches mean bugger all to players but a lot more to supportors at the function and that came from 2 players I spoke to.
Ive gone from all tingly to disappointed :cry:

Bloody typical

Reminds me when I was down at Moorabbin when Gt was in his playing days. We were lining up for finals tickets (to watch other teams of course) and Gt walked past and asked "what are you kids doing here" I said lining up for finals tickets and we will be doing the same next year for the saints.
He replied "Im glad someone thinks so"

Before Im 85
Dal'sGal26
Club Player

It was a very good speech, he was definitely talking with the most passion i've seen him talk in any speech.

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Plugger I hope that you asked those two players why they feel Nick's speech was not aimed at them.. They should then go & tell Ross Lyon how they feel & nominate themselves to be traded. As Nick said "you're either on the bus or you will get run over by it".

Attitudes like that should be booted out of the club asap because they are cancerous. No matter who it was I hope the powers that be are aware of their attitude.

1eyedNever
Club Player

Have

Have the guts to name the players not just write this crap about 2 players I spoke to were not impressed with Roos speech
These 2 players should put up or shut up OR just piss OFF

SKFC has now been confirmed as the AFLs BITCH
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

No plugger is correct. The speech, although very stirring was for the supporters and not the players.

They have had and will have their meetings. They will know what is expected of them. They will see players delisted and know they are next if they continue not to contribute.

reiwoldt has every right to demand 100% from everyone and not let mateship get in the way. He is a four time B&F winner at 24. He is one of the best players ever to pull on a Saints jumper.

I am actually more inteested in his challenge to the board. Great to hear it put on the table. You have talked the talk, now walk the walk. Great stuff.

Much impressed by Roo. Sounds like he has pondered the past year, the sacking of Thomas, his reaction to it, the wasted year, the removal of the board.
A new day, a new board, a new season. Lets all do what Roo is doing and look forward and not back.

Another era has commenced.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:I never knew Robert Harvey had surgery on his hand - did anyone else know that? It hasn't been discussed on this website, that I've seen. What happened? How long is the recovery?

a detached tendon.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: A new day, a new board, a new season. Lets all do what Roo is doing and look forward and not back.

and we can all say amen to that...... :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dal'sGal26
Club Player

Even if the speech wasn't aimed at the players if they go in next season with the passion Roo has anything is possible next year! SAINTS 08!

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
karnaby
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:I was speaking to some players after his speach and they were not as impressed about his speach as the fans were. They said it was more done for the supportors than players.
To view this in a different light; maybe the players had already heard (& hopefully agreed to) this message.

A quote from RL in the article says:
"We've recommitted to that aim of being a great team today, and we've acknowledged that premierships are won through November, December, January and February," Lyon said.
Regardless of whether they did actually agree yesterday I'd be pretty confident that it is a message they'll hear more than once in the coming months.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Solar
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:No plugger is correct. The speech, although very stirring was for the supporters and not the players.

They have had and will have their meetings. They will know what is expected of them. They will see players delisted and know they are next if they continue not to contribute.

reiwoldt has every right to demand 100% from everyone and not let mateship get in the way. He is a four time B&F winner at 24. He is one of the best players ever to pull on a Saints jumper.

I am actually more inteested in his challenge to the board. Great to hear it put on the table. You have talked the talk, now walk the walk. Great stuff.

Much impressed by Roo. Sounds like he has pondered the past year, the sacking of Thomas, his reaction to it, the wasted year, the removal of the board.
A new day, a new board, a new season. Lets all do what Roo is doing and look forward and not back.

agree with this whole post. The challenge to the board sounded like a call to arms to the club to work their butts off next year to win the only thing that matters, a flag.

Also agree that roo needs to be sole captain. lenny to be vice captain.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

karnaby wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I was speaking to some players after his speach and they were not as impressed about his speach as the fans were. They said it was more done for the supportors than players.
To view this in a different light; maybe the players had already heard (& hopefully agreed to) this message.

A quote from RL in the article says:
Regardless of whether they did actually agree yesterday I'd be pretty confident that it is a message they'll hear more than once in the coming months.
Maybe people misunderstood what i meant. The players I spoke to said what Roo said will be told to them without everyone hearing it and they will commit to it then but they cant on a night where there is a huge crowd and they also have had a few drinks. That is why I said it was for the supportors at the function.

karnaby
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: Maybe people misunderstood what i meant. The players I spoke to said what Roo said will be told to them without everyone hearing it and they will commit to it then but they cant on a night where there is a huge crowd and they also have had a few drinks. That is why I said it was for the supportors at the function.
Thanks for clearing that up, it is similar to the interpretation I was prepared to give your comments.

Just for the record I think it is a shame some of us are so ready to think the worst of our players on the basis of what, in this case, was some well intentioned hearsay.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful