Another Board Challenge!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Another Board Challenge!

Riewoldt said wrote:

"You've talked the talk, now it's time to deliver on what you've said," Riewoldt said in his acceptance speech.

In a stirring speech, Riewoldt also demanded more of his teammates, urging them to take a leaf out of Geelong's book and springboard from finals hasbeens to premiership winners in 2008.

"We've really come to a fork in the road. The way I see it we were a competitive team this year, and that's about it," Riewoldt said.

"We can go one of two ways - we can be a competitive football team and hover around the mark, or we can go down the road to a premiership.

"Too often we let our mateship get in the way of the truth and it gets in the way of us doing and saying the things we need to do and say to win a premiership.

"Until we have everyone asking themselves honestly the question 'am I doing enough' and challenging each other on it, then we're not going to achieve what we want to achieve."

And so say all of us.....

Good stuff Roo....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

good stuff Rooey you absolute legend of our club.

He should be made sole captain indefinetly (ie. until his retirement).

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Also this article.....

11:05 PM Fri 5 October, 2007 | Back

By Russell Holmesby

for saints.com.au
News

CLUB champion Nick Riewoldt’s mind was firmly on the future at St Kilda’s best and fairest awards on Friday night.

Rather than dwell on his record equalling fourth Trevor Barker Award, he gave a firm and passionate speech that challenged every person at the club.

“I thought if I got the opportunity to speak I wanted to make a bit of an impact and make sure we’ve got a focus fresh in our mind when we get back training for pre-season.

“I don’t really like to mention them all the time, but Geelong is such a great exampleâ€

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Fair enough Plugger but I suppose we all saw some of the efforts from certain players this year & the 'less than 100%' comment was like a red rag to a bull.

Good on Roo for stating it in front of the members though... that's what we want to hear...that the players are united with a single goal.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how much watching Geelong win the flag hurt some of our boys?

I hope it hurt alot.

They must be embarrassed.

yipper
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:I wonder how much watching Geelong win the flag hurt some of our boys?

I hope it hurt alot.

They must be embarrassed.
It did hurt em' Rodg. It hurt them badly by the sounds of what they all were saying on Friday Night. Make no mistake - the speech from N.Riewoldt was a call to arms for the players. He really laid it on the line and in front of all us nuffy members at that!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Roo was acting very much like a cpatain there.....I think that he will have a BIG 2008 (not that his 2007 was in any way shabby...).

I just hope that the rest of the team does as well...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Well Roo is about to enter that age where players are supposed to be in their prime so who knows maybe if he becomes captain and has some luck with injuries he could take his game to a whole other level.... scary

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

With a full uninterupted totally committed preseason under the management of Misson, the likes of Roo, Goose, Lenny, Bally. BJ, Dal, Sam Fisher, Leigh Fisher, Montagna, Maxy, Gram, Kosi, Harves, Gardiner, Blake, Milne, Xav and Raph Clarke, Bakes, Fiora, Gilbert, Armitage,Brookes, Gwilt and proberbly a few others, IF ALL OF THEM have given the commitment that Roo talked about at the T.B.Medal night, then guys, we are in for a really good year - good being premiership stuff, mark my words :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

And I'm not BULLTISHING :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: And the commitment starts from November 5.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Go Sretnias Go wrote:With a full uninterupted totally committed preseason under the management of Misson, the likes of Roo, Goose, Lenny, Bally. BJ, Dal, Sam Fisher, Leigh Fisher, Montagna, Maxy, Gram, Kosi, Harves, Gardiner, Blake, Milne, Xav and Raph Clarke, Bakes, Fiora, Gilbert, Armitage,Brookes, Gwilt and proberbly a few others, IF ALL OF THEM have given the commitment that Roo talked about at the T.B.Medal night, then guys, we are in for a really good year - good being premiership stuff, mark my words :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

And I'm not BULLTISHING :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: And the commitment starts from November 5.
What do they do from the 29th of October?

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

You are in charge Plugger - you seem to be better informed than most!

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
yipper
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Go Sretnias Go wrote:With a full uninterupted totally committed preseason under the management of Misson, the likes of Roo, Goose, Lenny, Bally. BJ, Dal, Sam Fisher, Leigh Fisher, Montagna, Maxy, Gram, Kosi, Harves, Gardiner, Blake, Milne, Xav and Raph Clarke, Bakes, Fiora, Gilbert, Armitage,Brookes, Gwilt and proberbly a few others, IF ALL OF THEM have given the commitment that Roo talked about at the T.B.Medal night, then guys, we are in for a really good year - good being premiership stuff, mark my words :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Rooey mentioned Nov 5th as the start date for pre-season during his stirring speech at the B&F!!??

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Rooey mentioned Nov 5th as the start date for pre-season during his stirring speech at the B&F!!??
He starts on the 5th but I believe the club start on the 29th. Could be wrong but that is what I heard.

Saint Mik
Club Player

Mabey they could go to a movie marathon for a few days :wink:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
yipper wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He starts on the 5th but I believe the club start on the 29th. Could be wrong but that is what I heard.
I heard the same thing, but if Roo was really commited I would be hoping he would lead by example and go to the training on his own free will... unless he has been advised not to by doctors or fitness "gurus" in which case I would expect him to be there pumping up the balls and helping with the drills.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
yipper wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I heard the same thing, but if Roo was really commited I would be hoping he would lead by example and go to the training on his own free will... unless he has been advised not to by doctors or fitness "gurus" in which case I would expect him to be there pumping up the balls and helping with the drills.

He gets an extra week off due to 5 years service as per AFLPA agreement.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He gets an extra week off due to 5 years service as per AFLPA agreement.
I see, I would still like to see him make that sacrafice for the sake of the club, if he doesn't want to train I would still like to see him make an appearence, it would be great to see him help out Watts, Allen and Brooks etc.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He gets an extra week off due to 5 years service as per AFLPA agreement.
I see, I would still like to see him make that sacrafice for the sake of the club, if he doesn't want to train I would still like to see him make an appearence, it would be great to see him help out Watts, Allen and Brooks etc.
Brooks has been at the club that long he will get the rest of his career off.