Trade week, 2008 thoughts (not a trade thread)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fisher_fan
Club Player

Trade week, 2008 thoughts (not a trade thread)

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't make any trades next week. I know people love this time of year, i do to, but it is all rumours, unfounded speculation etc... a great example is Paul Haselby, people had it on good note he was keen to be a Saint, a week later he signed with the Dockers for 2 years.

The only things that WILL happen next week are -

* Chris Judd will be at Carlton (for pick 3, 20 and Josh Kennedy)

* Ben Hudson will be a Bulldog (don't know what Dogs are offering)

* T Johnstone will get delisted if teams continue to show no interest, may nominate for pre season draft

* Fevola will stay at Carlton, Whitnall won't, King will stay at Geelong, Robertson has signed with Dees, Fraser...Didak....all the Pies that people have been suggesting wont be going anywhere.

* A part from that don't get your hopes up, we won't get Adcock, Jolly or anything of the sort. We may trade a later pick for an untried player but that will be as far as it goes. Look at our trading history since 2000....haven't received much....Gram has turned out good, as has Fiora...I am not a Birss or Brooks fan though so scratch that.

I was originally hoping we would get a good couple of players with some of our core retiring this year. I don't think we need it, we may have more room in the cap but I would prefer to develop young kids. Armitage & Jones must stay...we do still have a chance of a premiership as much as this year didn't show it.

I am more than ever confident in the new St Kilda board, Ross Lyon and our leadership group. Look back 10 years and see how far we have come as a club. Everything is there, lets not stuff around to much. I just wanna sit back and enjoy watching Harvey, Riedwolt and co playing as a team without bringing in 25-30 year old players from other clubs.

such is life
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If we let Johnstone fall through to the pre season draft I will be pissed. Should definitely offer pick 26 for him. Is probably the best midfielder available.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:If we let Johnstone fall through to the pre season draft I will be pissed. Should definitely offer pick 26 for him. Is probably the best midfielder available.
wouldnt be surprised if he is the 'midfielder' the saints are after

Shades
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:If we let Johnstone fall through to the pre season draft I will be pissed. Should definitely offer pick 26 for him. Is probably the best midfielder available.

agreed

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

do we need him though??

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:do we need him though??
Yes. We are in desperate need of any quality midfielders. Especially ones as skillful as Johnstone.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:do we need him though??
Yes. We are in desperate need of any quality midfielders. Especially ones as skillful as Johnstone.
i thought that we would be looking at inside mid's rather than soft outside mid's

although we do have cj on our list now...so yes i think johnstone will fit well :shock:

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
noreason41
Club Player

Not a spectacular player, but definitely a viable alternative for our 'second string' midfielders.

Good kick of the footy as well. Would be a travesty to let him slip.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Johnstone would be a nice acquisition but has baggage & will go missing when we need him the most.

While this draft is not considered a 'super draft', there is still potential 200 game players to be had into the 2nd round. Some super athletic key position players that are still learning the game may still be available at pick 26 too.

We may be able to pick up Johnstone for quite cheap if Bailey has deemed him to be expendable.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Johnstone would be a nice acquisition but has baggage & will go missing when we need him the most.

While this draft is not considered a 'super draft', there is still potential 200 game players to be had into the 2nd round. Some super athletic key position players that are still learning the game may still be available at pick 26 too.
true...if you could promise me that Scott Selwood or someone similar would still be available by pick 26 id take them over Johnston.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

How old is he?

Would prefer to secure the future rather than the now.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:How old is he?

Would prefer to secure the future rather than the now.
17/7/80

Just turned 27 by my calculations

cazper66

Good post Fisher fan!!

I agree....don't see the saints doing too much in the trade period. We have a really strong core of 23-25 year olds with around 100 games experience which will hold us in good stead for the future. I honestly think we need to start bringing some more young kids on to our list. Last year was a good statrt with Armitage, Howard and Allen. Rather than see us waste our picks on 27/28 y.o from other clubs, let's retain all our picks and go for youth in the draft.
If we were on the verge of playing in a GF next year, then I would say yes, let's go for a 27 yo, but the reality is, we are probably another 2 seasons off from having another crack at a flag, so we may as well inject some more youth into the squad.
In the last 2 years we have lost Thompson, Gehrig, Voss, Peckett, Powell (and you could almost include Aussie in that group). These departures have left a serious void of talent/experience on our list.

woooosaints
Club Player

i dont know how you say that mad saint guy was looking at his stats for the last game of the season sure he had 40 possessions but only 60 percent were effective to say in your own words its like recruiting an older CJ. MOdern day footy turnovers and contests are so costly

battye
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:...his stats for the last game of the season sure he had 40 possessions but only 60 percent were effective to say in your own words its like recruiting an older CJ...
Hahaha! I doubt Clint Jones has racked up 40 possessions in his life!

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabi ... wsId=52247

Great article - thoughts from all the recruiting managers.

Sounds like Melbourne want to try and gain extra 2nd/3rd round draft picks, so I reckon you could pick up Travis Johnstone pretty cheaply.

Port Adelaide are "really looking to trade" according to MW ... dont' envisage having too many picks.
John Peake wrote:With regard to the draft, it's no secret that the St Kilda Football Club is looking for a bit of run so we're paying particular interest to them, but we've got to keep a general view too because with pick nine you can't be 100 per cent sure [who's going to be available]. You can't target a couple of players because they might not be there."
Sounds good ... also says we are happy not to be active in trade week, which suits me.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.