2 rookies elevated - Attard and Jones official?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
wildgoose wrote:Wasn't Cox a rookie initially, and Priddis has been a successful rookie this year, as has Marty Clark from Collingwood, better than not having rookies.
That's 3.

Sure, no harm in having them but they're hardly the white knight people make them out to be.
Davey, Milne, and I think Rivers.

Hurn?
Pick 13, 2005.

However, anyone who undersells the value of rookies well out of touch with how football lists need to be managed, IMO.

I view them as six free hits; what a fantastic gamble you're able to take with them, for virtually no risk.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Off the top of my head the following playes are rookies:

Nathan Bassett
Nick Gill
Ben Rutten
Robert Shirley

Marcus Allen
Robbie Copeland
Josh Drummond

Scott Harding
Joel MacDonald
Jason Roe
Cheynee Stiller

Adam Bentick
Criag Flint
Setanta O'Hailpin
David Teague
Bret Thorton

Shannon Cox
Ben Davies
Nick Maxwell
Harry O'Brien

Alan Toovey
Marty Clarke

Courtney Johns
Mark Johnson
Andrew Lovett
Nathan Lovett-Murray
Mal Michael
Damien Peverill

Aaron Sandilands
Luke Webster

Shannon Byrnes
Max Rooke

Robert Campbell
Stephen Gilham
Ben McGlynn
Michael Osborn
Brad Sewell

Josh Thurgood
Clinton Young

Michael Firrito
Josh Gibson

Kasey Green
Leigh Harding
Scott McMahon

Djaran Whyman

Nathan Carroll
Aaron Davey
Mark Jamar
James McDonald
Daniel Ward

Greg Bentley
Dean Brogan
Danyle Pearce
Tom Logan

Nathan Foley
Kent Kingsley
Trent Knoble
Kelvin Moore
Will Thursfield
Greg Tivendale

Stephen Milne

Paul Bevan
Heath Grundy
Darren Jolly
Tadgh Kennelly
Brett Kirk

Simon Phillips
Jonathan Simpkin
Luke Vogels

Steven Armstrong
Dean Cox
Chad Fletcher

Jaymie Graham
Brett Jones
Quinten Lynch
Mark Nicoski
Matthew Priddis

Dale Morris

Thats all i can remember for now :wink:

Who have i left out?
Last edited by SaintBot on Thu 04 Oct 2007 1:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

That's about 10% of the number of players on AFL senior lists who are elevated rookies.

So on your list of 38 players, you would be hoping for at least 3 to be elevated rookies if you were operating at the AFL average.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
iceman
Club Player

Jones showed more than geary, howard, eddy, simple as that, yes he may be 23 now, but reward for hard work. I think he will make most eat sweet warm humble pie, Attard is fair anough too, now he's on the long term injury list we can promote 1 more, if Attard can get his knee ready in time say by mid-season we have done the right thing, if not we're using someone anyway. Perfect logic if you ask me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Burkey confirmed that both players have been elevated which still gives us one more position left if we need to elevate another player. I dont think they will but as others have suggested they may put Attard on LTI list and see how the other rookies go in pre season.

saintm
Club Player

Saint Bot, Harry O'Brien at Collingwood was also a rookie.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:Saint Bot, Harry O'Brien at Collingwood was also a rookie.
he is too...from brazil i believe?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Rookies elevated during 2007 include

Jayden Attard - 20 games
Cameron Howat - 20
Jake King - 19
Matt Campbell - 13
Martin Clarke - 12
Jarrod Harbrow - 11
Clinton Jones - 6
Ross Young - 6
Michael Jamison - 5
Adam Ramanauskas - 5
Luke Brennan - 5
Chad Jones - 4
Jace Bode - 4
Ed Barlow - 4
Djaran Whyman - 3
Andrew Foster - 3
Will Hamill - 3
Angus Graham - 3
Kieran Jack - 2
Leigh Adams - 2
Anthony Corrie - 2
Jamie McNamara - 2
Daniel Dzufer - 1
Heath Hocking - 1

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

On topic, I think they are both crap decisions.

Carlton encountered a very similar player to Jones in Ross Young. Was a mature rookie who could get a bit of the footy and had a bit of mongrel, but he just couldn't kick. So they delisted him. For some reason we have seen some value in keeping a player who is incapable of disposing of the ball either quickly or accurately. Stupid decision.

Attard should have just been kept on the rookie list. He should have stayed there, not taking up any extra room or money so we can re-evaluate his worth to the team after he recovers. That said, the rookies will be training the house down to try and get that elevation. Hopefully we don't just recruit some recycled hack and elevate him ahead of Geary and Eddy.

If I was in charge I would have had the rookies this

Elevated - Geary, Eddy
Retained - Van Rheenen, Attard
Delisted - Jones, Wall

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Rookies elevated during 2007 include

Jayden Attard - 20 games
Cameron Howat - 20
Jake King - 19
Matt Campbell - 13
Martin Clarke - 12
Jarrod Harbrow - 11
Clinton Jones - 6
Ross Young - 6
Michael Jamison - 5
Adam Ramanauskas - 5
Luke Brennan - 5
Chad Jones - 4
Jace Bode - 4
Ed Barlow - 4
Djaran Whyman - 3
Andrew Foster - 3
Will Hamill - 3
Angus Graham - 3
Kieran Jack - 2
Leigh Adams - 2
Anthony Corrie - 2
Jamie McNamara - 2
Daniel Dzufer - 1
Heath Hocking - 1
the bolded players are the ones i believe could make a career in the afl
Last edited by SaintBot on Thu 04 Oct 2007 2:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

woooosaints
Club Player

its just called loyalty attard played 21 games for us so we can pay him standard wages not rookie wages and elevate geary or eddy then pay them x ammount attard deserves it because i think a rookie salary is only 40k+ match payments

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I think Attard deserves to be put on the senior list despite the injury. He worked extremely hard and played all but 1 game or what ever it was. I think it's unfair to the player and not really treating him best to leave him on rookie list. We don't loose anything as obviously he is on the LTI and some other rookie can play.

Carpe Diem
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:the bolded players are the ones i believe could make a career in the afl
I would add

Jarrod Harbrow - 11
Anthony Corrie - 2
Jamie McNamara - 2

Guys like Jack, Adams, Hocking, Foster, Bode and Brennan aren't total write-offs yet either.

Richter
SS Life Member

woooosaints wrote:its just called loyalty attard played 21 games for us so we can pay him standard wages not rookie wages and elevate geary or eddy then pay them x ammount attard deserves it because i think a rookie salary is only 40k+ match payments
Correct. Perhaps he'll get an extra ?$40k by being a listed player. Would you quibble $40k either way on Nick Riewoldt's several hundred dollar contract (fully deserved btw), or what about Aaron Hamill's?

He played exactly the same number of games than as Nick this last season by the way. For considerably less financial reward. And just a few more than Aaron.

The loyalty the players show by not leaving for more money (Kosi, Roo, Dal to name but 3) is paid back via players in the situation that Attard currently finds himself in. It sends a hugely positive message to the players about how they are valued IMO. Perform and put your team first and the club will look after you.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What about Hack Brookes???

Why wasn't he delisted?

Is the plan for him to play FF next year?

Considering Clarke was always an option ahead of Brookes, I've got no idea what Lyon or the Footy Dept are planning/thinking.

Anyway, if Brookes is on the list for next year, I hope he is still on base payments....

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i find it odd that ppl are so quick to say we have made a mistake elevating jones because hes no good when he mannaged to force his way into the seniors ahead of hacks like brooks who in 5 years produced less i reckon promote those who can get into the seniors cut the deadwood that cant at worse we carry CJ for a year playing in the scorps heck weve done that with players like murray brooks ect ect for years at best CJ improves and makes the top 22

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

4 National Draft Picks
1 PSD Pick
3 Rookie Picks

OR

Put Harvs and Max on Veterans List.

6 National Draft Picks
1 PSD Pick
1 Rookie Pick

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Considering Clarke was always an option ahead of Brookes, I've got no idea what Lyon or the Footy Dept are planning/thinking.
Lyon obviously thinks Brooks is a forward. He was played forward in his two games this year and said that he wasn't playing because Riewoldt, Gehrig and Koschitzke were in front of him.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Why are people even talking about Brooks in this thread? The two elevations aren't guys who are going to be competing with Brooks for gametime. If Brooks stays, he'll be competing with Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Watts, Rix and Allen for game time.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Good for both of them.

Jones - I started out as a fan, but he lost me after the collarbone with his disposal. While I hope an extra year to adapt to the pace of the game will see him relax a bit more and think it through rather than just bang and hope ala park footy, I don't hold much hope. However, he's good enough to challenge for selection, so he improves the depth over a Raymond. Really in competition with Armitage, McQualter, and possibly the next draftee's and rookies (thx to Attard) for gametime, so he's got to keep working. Solid move if not inspiring.

Attard - Feelgood story. Shown enough to make one think it's worth putting the resources and income at his disposal to let him come back from what was a very unfortunate injury. Likely never more that a GOP and tagger, but again, worth having on the list. I'm really pleased for him.

This is what the rookie list is really for - folks trot out Cox, Kirk, or Sandilands often, but given the high turnover of players, what the rookie list really does is increase the competition for spots at the bottom end of the list. If Jones can't keep his spot and is gone 12 months from now, no big loss, and Attard at the least provides hope to others trying to make the AFL the hard way at St. Kilda. Development's an art, and drafting is like throwing **** at a wall - the more you throw, the more likely some is to stick... and maybe produce a Cox along the way ;)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Quixote
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:
woooosaints wrote:its just called loyalty attard played 21 games for us so we can pay him standard wages not rookie wages and elevate geary or eddy then pay them x ammount attard deserves it because i think a rookie salary is only 40k+ match payments
Correct. Perhaps he'll get an extra ?$40k by being a listed player. Would you quibble $40k either way on Nick Riewoldt's several hundred dollar contract (fully deserved btw), or what about Aaron Hamill's?

He played exactly the same number of games than as Nick this last season by the way. For considerably less financial reward. And just a few more than Aaron.

The loyalty the players show by not leaving for more money (Kosi, Roo, Dal to name but 3) is paid back via players in the situation that Attard currently finds himself in. It sends a hugely positive message to the players about how they are valued IMO. Perform and put your team first and the club will look after you.

Agreed

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Russle Robinson from Melbourne was also a Rookie.

I'm very happy that we are taking advantage of our Rookie List for once.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Why are people even talking about Brooks in this thread? The two elevations aren't guys who are going to be competing with Brooks for gametime. If Brooks stays, he'll be competing with Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Watts, Rix and Allen for game time.
i think the point is brooks takes up a spot on the team list and does nothing where as attard played more games this year then he has in his carreer so on that alone attard is more deserving of a spot over Brooks and as for CJ well we cut sweeney and raymond and he is mor deserving of their spot then them so be it

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
villasaint
Club Player

i cannot believe we have signed up Jones. He did not show anything in any of his games, other than pace. he butchered the ball. it really worries me that we have signed him up and fiora for another two years. Simply becuase we lack pace. They are not up to premiership team standard

sax
Club Player

Hang On!!! Jones has played, what, 4 games of AFL footy? And you wanna get rid of him already! Seems to be the St. Kilda way doesn't it?
Fiora was easily in our best 22 this year. What can we get instead?