2 rookies elevated - Attard and Jones official?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

2 rookies elevated - Attard and Jones official?

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/h ... 93775.html
Hamill joins the long list of retired Saints
October 4, 2007

ST KILDA'S Aaron Hamill has confirmed his retirement, saying it was in the club's best interest for him to end his 190-game career.

St Kilda has reached a financial settlement with the forward, who did not manage a single senior game this year due to a chronic knee injury.

"The decision to retire has been one of the hardest to make in my football career," Hamill said. "However, I felt it was in the best interest of the club moving forward. This will now allow a younger player to step up and cement themselves in the St Kilda side."

Under the terms of his long-term contract — he signed a four-year extension in 2004 — Hamill was owed about $400,000 next year but some will be paid up front this year to ease the burden on their 2008 salary cap. Hamill was an aggressive forward who played above his 184 centimetres and, at his pre-injury peak in the early 2000s, was among the best defensive forwards in the game, valued for leadership as much as on-field output.

His decision to leave Carlton after the 2000 season was contentious, as the Saints, then in the throes of a recruiting drive, signed him on a four-year deal worth about $2 million.

Hamill, who captained the Saints in 2003 said: "I am grateful to the Carlton Football Club for providing me with the opportunity to play and develop as a footballer … I would also like to express my gratitude to Grant Thomas, whose efforts did not go unnoticed by the playing group during his six years as coach."

Drafted from ACT club Tuggeranong in 1994, he booted 239 goals in his 190 games — 92 were played for Carlton.

He is the fifth Saint to retire, along with Andrew Thompson, Fraser Gehrig, Brett Voss and Matthew Clarke. Justin Sweeney and Phillip Raymond have been delisted, while rookies Jayden Attard and Clinton Jones have been elevated.
Last edited by saintly on Thu 04 Oct 2007 12:26pm, edited 2 times in total.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The wrong two in my opinion. Attard will go straight onto the long-term injured list and remain there for most of the season. Jones, well I believe that Howard will be able to play the role he filled this year, and hopefully do a better job of it. That is if we dont recruit a really fast kid in the draft who is more skilled. Geary and Eddy should have been elevated for mine.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

attard is fair enough...geary shouldve been the other one

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Attard has been elevated and should be put straight on the long-term injury list.

That will give us a spot to elevate another rookie ..... Geary is my bet.

Jones - mmm, I would think he is on a one-year contract. I hope he can show some improvement.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

That's pretty dissapointing list management if true.

I'll wait for confirmation and just hope it isn't so. Both had a fair crack; Attard should have been retained as a rookie at best, especially given his injury, and Jones was a fairly obvious candidate for delisting.

Reminds me of midfielder-sized Nick Stone. Hard to see him improving as a 24-year old who can't kick and win the footy. Hope I'm wrong.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

wildgoose
Club Player

From all the positive reports on Geary I would of hoped he would of been elevated. Attard yes I agree with, but should be placed on the Long Term Injury List. On Jones was pretty disappointing last season apart from one match against Sydney, I would hope he is not promoted.

And hack pup is out again, bowled without troubling the scorers.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

If true they sticking to their word with Attard he was told he was going to be elevated before he did his knee.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:That's pretty dissapointing list management if true.

I'll wait for confirmation and just hope it isn't so. Both had a fair crack; Attard should have been retained as a rookie at best, especially given his injury, and Jones was a fairly obvious candidate for delisting.

Reminds me of midfielder-sized Nick Stone. Hard to see him improving as a 24-year old who can't kick and win the footy. Hope I'm wrong.
I can understand on Jones, but why are you upset re: Attard?

He played 21 of 22 games and will probably finish top 15 in our B&F.

Like him or not, that's a better effort than 25 other blokes on our senior list.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Feel for Attard but he should have been left on Rookie List and looked after by club and Geary given his spot as he'll be more valuable.

Cannot understand the Jones decision other than they wish to look at him for another year and could not keep him on the Rookie List. He will need to vastly improve his disposal otherwise he'll need his pace to haul ass to get the ball back.

Interesting to see whether they retain Eddy on Rookie List or draft him with a late pick or let him go completely.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Feel for Attard but he should have been left on Rookie List and looked after by club and Geary given his spot as he'll be more valuable.

Cannot understand the Jones decision other than they wish to look at him for another year and could not keep him on the Rookie List. He will need to vastly improve his disposal otherwise he'll need his pace to haul ass to get the ball back.

Interesting to see whether they retain Eddy on Rookie List or draft him with a late pick or let him go completely.

Draft him?

They can just place him on the list why would they draft him?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:If true they sticking to their word with Attard he was told he was going to be elevated before he did his knee.
If that's the case fair enough, like I said I feel for him and he was very good value this sesaon.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Geary will be elevated.

Think about it ... Attard is elevated and then put straight on the Long-Term Injury List.

That allows us to elevate a rookie in his place.

So Geary gets elevated.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I thought they had a limit and it sounds like they've chosen their players. If they can place him on the list great.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Geary will be elevated.

Think about it ... Attard is elevated and then put straight on the Long-Term Injury List.

That allows us to elevate a rookie in his place.

So Geary gets elevated.

or rather ONE of the rokies get eklevated If they are good enough.

Attard had already demonstrated that he was good enough.

This way....whoever is playing the best out of Geary or Edde can be elevated if required....not to meantion any of the new rookies. This gives the club more choice....and puts the onus on Geary, Eddie, VR and the new rookies to perform. They all have the incentive of knowing that they can be elevated immediately if they are good enough.....and that is a real incentive.

Much better than being a rookie and knowing that you CANNOT play unless someone gets injured.

Remember that Attard impressed early......so who knows what some of the new rookies will do.

Jones as I understand it had to be elevated if the club wanted to keep him....whereas Geary, Eddie and Van Reehan can all just be reatained as rookies....and all are young still.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I still don't understand the fuss about rookies.

All it means, is that you get a couple of extra guys on your list who aren't good enough to be on your list - or anyone else's.

One in about 900 might turn out to be any good.

The rest weren't on a list for a reason.

wildgoose
Club Player

Wasn't Cox a rookie initially, and Priddis has been a successful rookie this year, as has Marty Clark from Collingwood, better than not having rookies.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
evertonfc wrote:That's pretty dissapointing list management if true.

I can understand on Jones, but why are you upset re: Attard?

He played 21 of 22 games and will probably finish top 15 in our B&F.

Like him or not, that's a better effort than 25 other blokes on our senior list.
He's an average player - on of your favourites, granted - and has done his knee and will miss 12 months of footy.

I don't see the need to put him on the list full time just yet, when you take everything into account. Keep him as a rookie and re-assess this time next year. What do we lose? Nothing.

I'm rather a clean elevation for Geary.
Last edited by evertonfc on Thu 04 Oct 2007 11:56am, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

But I don't see how we lose out by elevating Attard?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I liken a rookie to finding change down the back of the couch. It's that hidden bit of coin that could become valuable down the track, especially when you've ordered that late night pizza and you're trying to pay for it!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

wildgoose wrote:Wasn't Cox a rookie initially, and Priddis has been a successful rookie this year, as has Marty Clark from Collingwood, better than not having rookies.
That's 3.

Sure, no harm in having them but they're hardly the white knight people make them out to be.

wildgoose
Club Player

Yes they are not. But there are ones that come good, and they can improve your list, wasn't Sam Mitchell one as well?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

makes sense because it is a weak draft

I would assume that geary, eddy and VR will be kept on and we will draft 3 rookies.

But say our drafting or trading ends us up with a space for one of the rookies, there is still time to bring one up.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
busso mick
Club Player

There have been quite a few notable rookie elevations. I found a list from a few years back including

Nathan Foley, Danyle Pearce, Josh Gibson, Clinton Young, Andrew Lovett, Nathan Lovett-Murray, Will Thursfield, Setanta OHailpin, Ryan Crowley, Cheyne Stiller, Harry OBrien, Sam Hunt, Stephen Gilham, Scott McMahon, Tom Logan, Matthew Priddis.

All of these blokes are reasonable players, some of whom I wouldn't mind on our list.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
wildgoose wrote:Wasn't Cox a rookie initially, and Priddis has been a successful rookie this year, as has Marty Clark from Collingwood, better than not having rookies.
That's 3.

Sure, no harm in having them but they're hardly the white knight people make them out to be.
Davey, Milne, and I think Rivers.

Hurn?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes you need every little edge you can get....if you do not nmake the most of rookies then you have to do EXTREMELY well in other areas....and now that we are not on the bottom there are no priorty picks for us.....and no Blighlotto players........

With the Cats I have not gone through their GF in detail..but I think Rooke came thru as a rookie....

Ignore the 1 in 900 comment by Rodger..

WC had SEVEN guys from the Rookie system in their last Premiership. Go thru most best 22's and you will find rookies

Most teams have some rookies in their best 22....so that is automatically a ratio of less than 1 :20...so 1 in 900 is just rubbish.

If you ignore the rookie list.....then you are just conceding an advanatge to the other 15 clubs....and you cannot afford to do that.

But yes it is only one factor....bit it is a factor that you cannot ignore.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....