Love the draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rexy
SS Life Member

Love the draft

Must say as talk around the lunch room turns to trades the draft and next season it really makes me realise how much I love the draft and Salary cap etc. Whilst we have seen clubs win only 2 or 3 games in a season in recent years right now you could make a real good argument that the team that finished 4th last (Kangaroos) has a worse list than the team that finished 16th (Richmond). The difference in their seasons was remarkable however if you went through player by player it was not talent or available funds that seperated them, this means to me that next year we could see the tigers shoot up the ladder and the Roos plummet. This goes for nearly all the clubs in the league.
What did seperate them was beleif, confidence, a well sorted and suited game plan, luck, maybe injuries etc. All these things are completely in control of the players, the coaching staff, the football operations dept and ultimately the administration who appoint them.
This is exactly what the draft and salary cap were created for, to give every team an equal opportunity at success.

Maybe this year?
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Fair post actually.
I'm a firm believer in the Salary Cap and draft system. I genuinely think it makes for a far more even competition, as financially stronger clubs such as Collingwood, WCE, Adelaide etc. are not able to fully flex their financial might and power. Any club can slip or slide according to several factors that are either in the hands of the coaches and players (game plan, implementation of etc.) or out of their hands (e.g. improvement in competitors' lists, injuries etc.).

The Saints are coming!
Sun Ra
Club Player

I really can't see why there can't be, within the salary cap, be a salary cap for the upper limit that any individual player can be paid - the max - eg. $500K. Way more than the PM earns and 10x what the average Joe gets. Surely that would be enough and if the player wants more then they can get it through sponsors. I reckon this would keep a lid on things a lot more than the current deal. As much s I would like to see Judd get 20% of Carlton's salary cap over the next 5 years, it begs the question, why should one guy get so much ? Remember the Kouta deal. Maybe if the AFL put this up it would stop these sort of deals which eventually wreck clubs and cause other players to be ripped off and leave. Discuss....

rexy
SS Life Member

Sun Ra wrote:I really can't see why there can't be, within the salary cap, be a salary cap for the upper limit that any individual player can be paid - the max - eg. $500K. Way more than the PM earns and 10x what the average Joe gets. Surely that would be enough and if the player wants more then they can get it through sponsors. I reckon this would keep a lid on things a lot more than the current deal. As much s I would like to see Judd get 20% of Carlton's salary cap over the next 5 years, it begs the question, why should one guy get so much ? Remember the Kouta deal. Maybe if the AFL put this up it would stop these sort of deals which eventually wreck clubs and cause other players to be ripped off and leave. Discuss....
I see where your coming from, but I think it may be over controlling, bit like work giving you your pay and then telling you how much you can spend on what. Leave it up to the clubs to over pay or under value their players as they see fit IMO, its all part of managing your list and administering your club well.

Maybe this year?
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Well said.

I think this year we finally saw what effect a decade of draft and salary cap has produced.

Really, there were 12 teams in the premiership race until Round 20. That's sensational.

And on their day, I reckon about 8-9 of those teams could have won the flag.

Hopefully it continues next year.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.