Carlton throwing $$$$$$$$ at Bakes !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:straight swap for Murphy/Fev and the deals done for mine....
Yep I'd be happy for that deal.........

Or one of the above and a 3rd round pick

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Not sure I'd be throwing that much money at Baker. Good ordinary tagger who is more valuable to us than to anyone else. Strange recruiting target for mine.
I couldn't disagree more on Bakes.

Much more than a tagger - and when he is a straight out 'stopper' he is exceptional at it.

He can play in the defensive 50, and can play in the midfield. When he doesn't have a huge stopping task, he gets the ball himself and uses it well.

He looks awkward in his disposal, but his skills are fantastic - both sides.

Not to mention he's a B&F winner with a top 4 club.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

in the absence of powell, voss, hamill and baker we will start to look like watsons saints.

plenty of skill, not a single bit of grunt in the side.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Definately need the grunt factor in our forward line and midfield, though I thought Bakes didn't have his best year in 2007, we still need to recruit some tough bodies.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Not sure I'd be throwing that much money at Baker. Good ordinary tagger who is more valuable to us than to anyone else. Strange recruiting target for mine.
Nah, It makes total sense if you think laterally.

They are down to the last 2 to secure Judd and this is the 'sweetener' in their offer to him.

Theu are guaranteeing Judd will never have to suffer the indignity of facing Bakes again.

What would Bakes cost them 200-300 p.a.? Peanuts in the total scheme of getting Judd.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Definately need the grunt factor in our forward line and midfield, though I thought Bakes didn't have his best year in 2007, we still need to recruit some tough bodies.
yep

ppl look at positions, and frankly every team has missing slots from the 'perfect 22'.

I noticed we dropped off dramatically when keogh left the saints, same when dean grieg left, and IMO the absence of powell and hamill have hurt the saints badly.

powell and burke were heavily criticised for their 'stats' but folks look at stats and not how they play the game.

ball and hayes are expected to be creative and do the hard work in the guts.

in the past we have had one protector at least in the midfield rotation.

IMO banishing baker to the HBF or tagging a forward or wingman have left us exposed in the guts. bakers best work has been 'stepping in front' of taggers

using him on farmer and other 'dangerous' forwards is wasting his talent which was basically protecting ball carrier and cleaning up one of their offensive midfielders.

i raised in mid season when WCE destroyed blake in the second half, and pointed out we used this strat to great effect in 04 and 05 with powell and baker as the 'step in front and drop the shoulder' person, clearing a path for the midfielder before it was umpired out.

SHUT UP KRIME!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:Why the hell would Carlton want him?

He will be long retired by the time they are half-decent, he would stall the development of their number one draft picks and he'll miss the first 5 (?) weeks of 2008.
Well, FWIW, if Carlton land Judd, then the rebuilding program's just about out the window - Judd's not a developing player, he's a gamebreaker. You'd think they're looking at a 5 year window of Judd-Stevens-Murphy leading their midfield group. One of the elements generally considered necessary at the top of the table is a good shutdown player, preferably on that hurts the opposition if they don't remain accountable.

Baker would fit that bill.

I think a lot of us forget about Stevens when sizing up the Blues, adding a Judd along with Stevens return is going to have a big impact.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Why the hell would Carlton want him?

He will be long retired by the time they are half-decent, he would stall the development of their number one draft picks and he'll miss the first 5 (?) weeks of 2008.
Well, FWIW, if Carlton land Judd, then the rebuilding program's just about out the window - Judd's not a developing player, he's a gamebreaker. You'd think they're looking at a 5 year window of Judd-Stevens-Murphy leading their midfield group. One of the elements generally considered necessary at the top of the table is a good shutdown player, preferably on that hurts the opposition if they don't remain accountable.

Baker would fit that bill.

I think a lot of us forget about Stevens when sizing up the Blues, adding a Judd along with Stevens return is going to have a big impact.
baker stops judd, if they ninja baker off us....HE WILL BE LIKE A GOD :lol: :roll:

SHUT UP KRIME!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Not a bad point BAM!

Murphy, Stevens, Judd, Scotland, Simpson, Carazzo, Walker

That's a ripping good midfield ... better than most.

Add in Fevola, Betts and Fisher who will kick you 130 goals for the year.

Waite is a potential AA CHB, and between Thornton and O'Halpin you have most key forwards covered.

Really, all they are missing is a hard-nosed defensive mid and a ripping key defender.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
clobba
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
I couldn't disagree more on Bakes.

Much more than a tagger - and when he is a straight out 'stopper' he is exceptional at it.

He can play in the defensive 50, and can play in the midfield. When he doesn't have a huge stopping task, he gets the ball himself and uses it well.

He looks awkward in his disposal, but his skills are fantastic - both sides.

Not to mention he's a B&F winner with a top 4 club.
well said :!:

clobba
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Nah, It makes total sense if you think laterally.

They are down to the last 2 to secure Judd and this is the 'sweetener' in their offer to him.

Theu are guaranteeing Judd will never have to suffer the indignity of facing Bakes again.

What would Bakes cost them 200-300 p.a.? Peanuts in the total scheme of getting Judd.
lmfao :lol:

rexy
SS Life Member

Cant beleie so many on here rate the man so poorly, Players like Baker are the heart and sole of a footy club, If you cannot understand or appreciate how hard he runs, how many times he puts his body on the line, how often he covers a team mate or how many elite mid fielders and dangerous forwards he closes down in a year then you are a ball watcher not a game watcher and you should follow sydney or melbourne. In fact you probably just had to look at a picture and his player profile to know which one he is. Baker is a former club champion and one of the first selected, he has probably the most mentally tiring lob on the list every week and does it all for no doubt a lot less than many of his team mates. He also has to deal with the media, ex players and it would appear some on here suggesting that his craft as a stopper is unimportant and that he is a thug.

PERSONALLY I LOVE THE MAN

Maybe this year?
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Cant beleie so many on here rate the man so poorly, Players like Baker are the heart and sole of a footy club, If you cannot understand or appreciate how hard he runs, how many times he puts his body on the line, how often he covers a team mate or how many elite mid fielders and dangerous forwards he closes down in a year then you are a ball watcher not a game watcher and you should follow sydney or melbourne. In fact you probably just had to look at a picture and his player profile to know which one he is. Baker is a former club champion and one of the first selected, he has probably the most mentally tiring lob on the list every week and does it all for no doubt a lot less than many of his team mates. He also has to deal with the media, ex players and it would appear some on here suggesting that his craft as a stopper is unimportant and that he is a thug.

PERSONALLY I LOVE THE MAN
Yup, just ask his team mates what they think of him. Would be a huge loss.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Unless we draft some body-ready bug eyed kid who can play up during the post-match song I think we need him desperately.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:Unless we draft some body-ready bug eyed kid who can play up during the post-match song I think we need him desperately.

omg, it's St Rambo !

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/post ... ly&t=36785
All key players have been re-signed for the 2008 season after intense competition from other clubs.
stated today- to me Bakes is key But to others not- I guess we await further confirmation.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Simon Templar
Club Player

Hang your heads, you mugs who are baking Bakes....!!

Didn't he win our B&F last year?

Not his fault he's played as a tagger.....I noticed that GL was playing him without a tagging role in last half of season, so he obviously believes the little champ goes allright in midfield role.

He reminds me of Scott West who used be a tagger. Bakes might have to learn how to shake a tag himself.

Go you good things....!!!
Simon Templar
Club Player

Whoops! I didn't realise there was a 2nd page of posts before I made my small contribution above.

Some excellent posts there, too.

Go you good things....!!!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Some posters on here should hang their heads in shame... MSG, you're usually on the money but I think you've lost the plot here.

Bakes is a vital cog in the midfield... he is still the best tagger going around & still gets the ball himself. You do not give up your best defensive midfielder when your game plan is all about accountability!

Did I hear someone compare Bakes to Blake???? Another say they'd trade him for a 'Jason Winderlich' type (what a chronic underachiever who still hasn't achieved anything).

I guess I picked the wrong week to give up sniffing glue! You lot must be on the real good stuff!