?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigmicka
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:im not sure where the anti-baker sentiment is coming from

is it because of his countless suspensions? (yes people it is him doing the deed, not 'the man/system/conspiracy theory' doing bakes)

a few posters have said the game has passed him by...im not sure how or why...i would like to know however to see if my train of thought is correct or completely off the mark...
He has a bad record, because of dodgy decisions.

Alessio
Kayne Johnson
Stafford
Murphy and the other Carlton kid
Farmer.

The only one out of all those decisions that is really his deed and he payed the price for was Kayne Johnson.

If he had received the proper decisions in the rest of the cases, when he came up upon the Farmer charge he would have only received a 10% loading instead of the 50% loading he received.

If Alessio was standing on me, i'd kick him too.

If one bloke is 179cm and another is 203cm which is about 10 inches difference in the old and the 179cm guy gets rubbed out for attempted striking, please give me a break. Did he bring a step ladder out onto the ground?

Then the AFL get ants in there pants thinking kids (i'm sorry but when you cross that line you are a man) are being pushed around by the big scary Steven Baker. So he pushed around a couple of kids, no striking, no attempted striking, But it still adds loading to his record.

Then you have the finale, the no evidence case against Farmer. When was he given a chance to plead guilty and get a 25% reduction, oh thats right he wasn't

The next charge he will have 60% loading added to his charge.

Without all the dodgy decision he would have been on 10% loading. if it wasn't for all the crap he would be nearly in good behaviour territory, as the Kayne Johnson incident was more than 3 years ago.

I'm not talking about a conspiracy within the AFL, hell Anderson and Dimitriou are not smart enough to pull something like that off. It is purely the incompetence and ineptitude of the AFL that has brought this situation to where it is now.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
35...LEGEND
Club Player

I just feel for the man.
He must be made of stern stuff,cause if all this happened to me I think I'd say to hell with it and just chuck it all in.

Be very disappointed if the club let him go.

He'd be my first picked.

Love the way you play mate....hang tough.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:I just feel for the man.
He must be made of stern stuff,cause if all this happened to me I think I'd say to hell with it and just chuck it all in.

Be very disappointed if the club let him go.

He'd be my first picked.

Love the way you play mate....hang tough.
What has actually happened to Baker?

All I am aware of is that he is still in negotaions with the Club over his contract....which at the end of season is not that unusual a situation......

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

He's a role player, and a very good one. He'll never single handedly win you a game, but he'll stop someone else from doing so, and on his day, will outplay a gun.

I'm not sure there's even an issue re:salary. for Matches missed, he won't get match payments, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to learn that there are rules taking away payments from suspended players altogether.

He's suspended, has been before, and will be again. While on the merits of '07 he's a bit lower down on the "best taggers" list, he's still head and soulders above anyone else the Saints have to do the job... his job will always be under some threat, because tagging is one way less skilled players break into the league, however his own skill level protects him a lot from that happening... nobody else the Saints have given the role to has come close to doing it as well as Baker.

To summarise, 100% required player. Of course you sign him up. Only way you don't is if he wants to leave.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Iratedebate
Club Player

Should Baker be kept? Definitely yes
Should he take a pay cut? Who knows
I dont see how anyone can argue that Baker needs to be given the same money as his last contract UNLESS you know exactly how much he was on.
Didn't we play with 2 short on our list a few years ago to try and keep the list together?
Surely if you are playing with a shorter list then every other AFL club yet you still dont win the flag then it is fair to say that we were overpaying quite a few players.
Baker no doubt is a very important player to our club, but at the end of the day he is a tagger, (one of the best no doubt) and should be paid accordingly. If he signed his last contract at the end of 2005 when he won his B&F, then obviously his stocks were high and probably signed for big dollars.
I dont know how much Baker's last contract was worth, but at the end of the day the club is in charge of not only satisfying the players on the list but also having some room in the cap to attract others to make our club stronger. I certainly hope the club can come to terms with Bakes for a new contract, but unfortunately like it or not, with 5 weeks hanging over his head and possible future reports weighted very heavily due to his poor tribunal record it puts both him and the club in a tough position

35...LEGEND
Club Player

was referring to the tribunal decisions that have come his way and the resulting reputation that seems to have come with it.

undeserved and frustrating for him i'm sure.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:was referring to the tribunal decisions that have come his way and the resulting reputation that seems to have come with it.

undeserved and frustrating for him i'm sure.
Yes...fully agree...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i have already posted what i was told about baker on another thread......do i believe it...of course i don't believe the bit about the tribunal and dimwit...was baker deliberately given wrong advice....again i don't believe it was done deliberately...more a case of incompetence, really...although the two lawyers on the board were not consulted...much to their horror and annoyance.......don't believe me...ask them...you can post a message on the sff site....you will get an answer....

does baker's relationship with the former coach sit uncomfortably with rod butterss.....you betcha......

...i'm not trying to force my opinions on anyone here....nor was i in the original thread ...for which i was roundly abused and called a pedophile......pple can take it or leave it....and that's what i originally posted.....

sheldon is so far up butterss bum he will need surgery to remove him when sff take over the place.....if rod wants baker gone...the guy doing the dirty work would be little kenny......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Steven Baker will play at the saints next year whoever is president. No doubt about that.

St.Kenny
Club Player

This thread is a waste of time. Lets try and be more creative during the off season and raise a topic of interest.....not just for the sake of a blog !

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Steven Baker will play at the saints next year whoever is president. No doubt about that.
hope you are right.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.