?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

?

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Bakes should definately be kept, he is a very important part of our team

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

F*** gt

F*** rb

its all their fault!!

but seriously...bakes must be kept, pehaps on a one year contract for slightly less money - because he is going to miss at least the first 6 games

then next year resign him for 2

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Attempt at a civil Bakes thread

aussierules0k wrote:OK!

So, what's the current feeling... should he stay, stay with a pay cut or go?

My view is Bakes was baked by his employer and deserves no less than his current contract - and quite possibly more. I believe he's an important player and is required.

However, like everything... I'm all ears. .....could stingers "believe it or not" hear-say have some merit? On the face of it, it sounds plausible.

Or, I'm sure someone will explain why Bakes is no longer required for A,B,C reasons. I'm all ears.

Note: This has nothing to do with pro/anti - GT/RB. We don't support individuals here, we support the club - so let's keep the abuse down to a bare minimum :)
Of course he should stay, doesn't even require the question imo.
what hear say?
Last edited by The Fireman on Mon 01 Oct 2007 1:37am, edited 1 time in total.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

im not sure where the anti-baker sentiment is coming from

is it because of his countless suspensions? (yes people it is him doing the deed, not 'the man/system/conspiracy theory' doing bakes)

a few posters have said the game has passed him by...im not sure how or why...i would like to know however to see if my train of thought is correct or completely off the mark...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:im not sure where the anti-baker sentiment is coming from

is it because of his countless suspensions? (yes people it is him doing the deed, not 'the man/system/conspiracy theory' doing bakes)

a few posters have said the game has passed him by...im not sure how or why...i would like to know however to see if my train of thought is correct or completely off the mark...
spot on, he is invaluable, ask any supporter outside the club, they would have him in a heartbeat.
Will take out the best every game, and doesn't mind having a bit of the ball himself.
I am a big fan.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Re: Attempt at a civil Bakes thread

aussierules0k wrote:OK!

So, what's the current feeling... should he stay, stay with a pay cut or go?

My view is Bakes was baked by his employer and deserves no less than his current contract - and quite possibly more. I believe he's an important player and is required.

However, like everything... I'm all ears. .....could stingers "believe it or not" hear-say have some merit? On the face of it, it sounds plausible.

Or, I'm sure someone will explain why Bakes is no longer required for A,B,C reasons. I'm all ears.

Note: This has nothing to do with pro/anti - GT/RB. We don't support individuals here, we support the club - so let's keep the abuse down to a bare minimum :)
agree with everything here.
baker is a required player without a doubt, would be in my first few players picked every week.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Question. Do we agree the Bakes case was botched? If Yes, then the games out shouldn't come into pay calculations. However, if Bakes was to blame, a serial thug and wouldn't have gotten off no matter what, then there's merit in a pay cut.

I feel he was stitched up. He's not a thug like Hocking or the Scott bros. He's tough but fair..ish... and most probably just carrying out orders. If you stuff your back at work, you expect to get paid while you recover.
either he takes the pay cut or sheldon...

Saint Mik
Club Player

You will definatley want baker come september MUST be kept

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

The case was rubbish. Anyone can see that.

Only reason hes out for so many is because of the advice given BY THE CLUB.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I am still struggling with the thread AOK, Baker was crucified and there is no doubt about that, the tribunal has it out for him but that shouldn't detract him from his role or the clubs dedication to his services.
He is a required player and i am having trouble getting my head around that being questionable .

The Peanut
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:Question. Do we agree the Bakes case was botched? If Yes, then the games out shouldn't come into pay calculations. However, if Bakes was to blame, a serial thug and wouldn't have gotten off no matter what, then there's merit in a pay cut.

I feel he was stitched up. He's not a thug like Hocking or the Scott bros. He's tough but fair..ish... and most probably just carrying out orders. If you stuff your back at work, you expect to get paid while you recover.
Bakes should not lose a red cent in his contract; in fact he should get at least the normal contract increments. I have seen a supporter write on this board that Bakes should get less because he won't be playing all the games for the season - unbelievable - if the club shows this kind of protection to a player that does our 'difficult' jobs on the paddock for us, we really are in the poo. Because of the 'tribunal' dangers that Bakes happily and skilfully undertakes on behalf of the club should be recognised, and his loss of matches should be an element considered in his favour in the way his contract reads, no matter how much pressure it puts on the 'cap'.

Its bad enough we blundered his tribunal case. The message that would give Bakes and the other players would be the beginning of the end of their faith in the club. I am aware that there are other factors regarding team development when preparing contracts, but surely he is a required player next year, at least.

I will be pushing hard for the new boardroom to have an immediate post-mortem on the Bakes tribunal case, if just to ensure that procedures are put in place to guarantee this doesn’t happen in the future. If it is found that we acted incompetently Bakes should get an official apology from the club. IMHO

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:I have seen a supporter write on this board that Bakes should get less because he won't be playing all the games for the season - unbelievable

if it means the difference between keeping Montagna (who i dont believe has signed yet) or not then yes i dont think it would hurt to lose a small amount...money he can make back if he can keep himself out of the umpires book

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

B&F Winner, 150 games for the club, bleeds red white and black.

Give him a performance-based 2 year deal.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Anyone who doubts Bakes value to our team and its performance doesn't watch football. They should also seek an immediate medical opinion regarding the surgical removal of their hand from their reproductive regions.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Tough nuts like Bakes are not exactly our strong suit atm...

I'll be shattered if we lose him and any thoughts of him taking a pay cut because the AFL screwed him over are, IMHO, laughable

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

I feel baker must be kept.
he is one of the few who puts body on the line, tackles hard and tries to win the hard footy.
He's invaluable, and will be sorely missed if he's going to be delisted, traded etc.

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
aussiejones
Club Player

Tough nuts like Bakes are not exactly our strong suit atm...

We need him .....end of discussion

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote: Fireman... I'd seen a few posts re Bakes should go, the games changed etc... I just wondered how many felt that way.
Fair enough :)

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

No question about it. Should be kept.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

If we get a new administration and they have the cojones to do this (the current one doesn't and I'm not sure about the new one) I think they should confront the Baker issue head on in about February/March next year.

They should formally approach Demetriou for talks about Baker and his playing style and then announce the fact to the media. The point of this is not to get any concessions for the AFL but to make all of the incidents in his "record" into a public talking point for the media, footy shows: "is there a future in the game for a player like Baker?", etc. There is no question that he has been treated unfairly: not just this time but in past years. If the PR for this is handled correctly, the AFL might be shamed into giving him a fair go: I would ask for the current suspension to stand, but - given that it is based on specious reasoning - it be struck from his record for future tribunal considerations.

Otherwise, I'm afraid that he is close to being finished. He now has a record that means that -under the current system - the next minor indiscretion he makes on field will see him go for another 6+ weeks. He has become a liability, and - leaving aside the various rumours that have appeared on this forum in recent days - I wouldn't blame RB for questioning his future worth to the club.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lets look at it logically...

*Is Baker still a valuable player for us? = Yes... however there is also no doubt that umpires and match reviewers are going to watch him closely.

*Is he in our top few? = No. He does his role very well...and adds toughness as we lack this as a team. He is valauble to us, but not asa star. But for his grnt and abilyty to perform sht-down roles. As tagger he is far superior to attard as he wins alott more ball.

*Was Baker guilty of some form of offence the last time he went up? = Yes in his own words as AFL Rules stand he was.... Due to his prior record he was then heavily penalised.

*Was his defence botched? = Yes it appears to have been because Baker volunteered that he had initiated the contact therefore dobbing himself in. In Tribunals it is accepted practice to lie and in hindsight he should have been advised to just say that he was running and suddenlt felt Farmer run into him.

*Is RB actively try and ensure that Baker was poorly represented and is now seeking him to be paid less that he is worth so that he will walk just so RB has less links with GT? = How can anyone take this seriously??

For this to be accurate it would mean that Sheldon, Lyon and Fraser as a minimum (and others besides) would all have to completely unethical and weak willed.

I mean can anyone seriously imagine that RB has said to Lyon I want you to get rid of Baker as he is going out with GT's daughter and that Ross would actually go along with it??? Ditto to archie and Ken.

Now if I was to speculate.....Ross would obviously view the playing list in different light than GT did. This is only natural and logical. This would also flow through to salary negotations for the players. It may well be that Ross does not value Baker as much as GT did, or he may value him more highly......or it could also be that Baker was after a pay rise and is not going to get one...

The sticking point could also bea swag of other things such as length of contract etc.........

Though somebody has to be the last to re-sign.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 01 Oct 2007 12:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Where has anyone read anything OFFICIAL that Bakes may leave. I am not convinced about rumours.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM