In our lifetime..Please!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

In our lifetime..Please!!!!

Got to thinking looking around the crowd yesterday at the older people there who had probably given up hope of seeing a flag in their lifetime..

The thought of not realising a premiership in my lifetime just chilled me to the bone....

The upside yesterday is how quickly sides can rebound...and the average age of Geelong about 23-24 which is similar to ours.

But you need so much luck to get to the GF let alone win the damn thing... :x

Almost an aligning of the planets as was the case with cats...

Hope springs eternal but the alternitive is mind boggling :shock:

May,be I am just feeling morose on the Sunday after the GF but God I hope I can cry like Billy oneday before I depart this mortal coil :roll:
Last edited by saint patrick on Mon 01 Oct 2007 12:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Juggernaut
Club Player

My sentiments exactly St Pat
I would like to add I would like a WEG poster the day after before he drops off the perch as well, not a back dated replica
Yesterday couln't be bothered watching the GF this year at all
As the years pass by with not a premiership in sight I am getting more and more morose about our chances.

The strength behind you is always greater than the challenge in front of you
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

In the grand final the average age of Geelong was 25yrs 5 months, in round 22 the average age of St.Kilda was 25 years 6 months...
The only thing that kept St.Kilda from winning a flag this year was fitness, it wasn't skills, injuries, gameplan, lack of speed or a decent ruckman it was that the players weren't fit enough to play out a whole game.

If we have a big pre season and the players work on their aerobic capacity and we get a bit of luck with injuries we can be contenders next year...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Same

Was bitter watching yesterday.

Really should not be like that but just so jealous...........

selfish actually

late this afternoon made contact with a Geelong friend....

happy for him .......must have cooled down a bit today.

saint4life
Baldock Rules
Club Player

Must admit to similar thoughts Patrick.Was there in 66 and babbled like Billy at the siren.Would love to do it again.

There are freaks and freaks and Baldock was both of those.
yipper
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:Same

Was bitter watching yesterday.

Really should not be like that but just so jealous...........

selfish actually

late this afternoon made contact with a Geelong friend....

happy for him .......must have cooled down a bit today.
Same with me. Felt very down - dispirited about the whole thing. Kept thinking 3 years ago we were slightly ahead of the Cats, but we took a wrong turn. We kept getting injured whilst they had just 1 key player injured all year!! I'm 49 this year - I want a flag!! I still think we have an opportunity - don't believe this window closed nonsense. We have all our stars coming into their prime years, just need luck, some clever recruiting and no injuries. I want to feel what those Geelong ppl felt yesterday.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Armoooo wrote:In the grand final the average age of Geelong was 25yrs 5 months, in round 22 the average age of St.Kilda was 25 years 6 months...
And our average age will decrease as Thommo, M. Clarke, Vossy and Gehrig have retired.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

It is very sad to think that there is a possibility we may never see a St Kilda premiership. I envy anyone who was around in 66.

The way the game is structured today though with salary caps and draft picks to even out the competition you would think that we'd have to be extremely unlucky not to see our boys lift the cup.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
Armoooo wrote:In the grand final the average age of Geelong was 25yrs 5 months, in round 22 the average age of St.Kilda was 25 years 6 months...
And our average age will decrease as Thommo, M. Clarke, Vossy and Gehrig have retired.
Assuming Hamill, Voss, Thompson, M. Clarke and Gehrig retired, and Sweeney and Raymond delisted
Assuming Jones, Geary and Attard are promoted (I know this might be wrong)
Assuming we then draft 4 players in the draft, all 19 years old
= 38 players on the list

The average age of that 2008 list would be 23 years and 4 months, which is lower than the 23 years and 8 months that our list was in 2004.

So basically next year our list will be younger than it was in '04 ...

We will have 2 players >30
We will have 7 players 27-30
We will have 21 players 22-27 (18 players <26)
We will have 8 players <22

Note this is a rough guide, and does not include players we draft/trade for being older/younger, and excludes rookies.

Has to be good for the future ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Oh When the Saints wrote:
The average age of that 2008 list would be 23 years and 4 months, which is lower than the 23 years and 8 months that our list was in 2004.

So basically next year our list will be younger than it was in '04 ...

We will have 2 players >30
We will have 7 players 27-30
We will have 21 players 22-27 (18 players <26)
We will have 8 players <22

Note this is a rough guide, and does not include players we draft/trade for being older/younger, and excludes rookies.

Has to be good for the future ...
Very much indeed...........!