peter banfield....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

peter banfield....

really dumped on the saints ..said that he got the chop for standing up to the saints in favour of casey players...and that the saints were tossing in the extra cash for a full time coach so that they had more say...rumours are getting stronger that aussie will be the new coach.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well froma Casey point of view I can understand Banfields comments...

But from a Saints point of view it is good that Saints players are being favoured...as we need to DEVELOP our players.

The Cats had their own reserves team and so for example were able to play King in the ruck 80% of the time to build his fitnes so that he could step straight intoa inals performance.

If we the Saints say want to play Howard say asa ruck rover to improve him then we should , despite say caseys best interest being say to play him in Casey seconds.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

its the tale of another coach being harshly delt with by st kilda...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Brian Collis
Club Player

Just a bitter prick looking after his own interests

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Gee, i didn't know it was in Banfield's job description to stand up to the Saints in favour of Casey players.

This explains Armitage getting about 20 minutes game time for the first 10 weeks of the season.

Good riddance.

These VFL clubs want the AFL teams associated with them so that people can come to the games and for them to have some kind of profile, but they then play the "We're a club in our own right" crap when it comes to player selection. You can't have it all your way. The AFL is scratching your back, so you need to scratch theirs.

Thes best thing that can happen is for all Victorian clubs to have complete contol of the development of their players, rather than putting up with VFL clubs and their coaches playing political games all the time.

luckysaint
Club Player

While the alignment exists a strong St Kilda means a strong Casey. However if Casey tries to favor their players too much there will be a situation where saints players won't develop. Through that Casey will ultimately be stuffed in the long term, being stuck with our poor and undeveloped players in their starting senior 22. A lose/lose situation.
If a VFL club wants a free hand these days they need to be totally independent.
Looks like Casey have finally made a decision.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B grader and showing it more so now.

Bye Pete. Please bring in Aussie.

“Yeah….nah””
GrumpyOne

He'd be a lot more believable if he could actually coach. Totally dependent on his assistants to suggest positional changes, and regularly forgot who was on the interchange bench.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i will be happy if aussie gets the gig.......really happy....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
barneyboyz
Club Player

Teflon wrote:B grader and showing it more so now.

Bye Pete. Please bring in Aussie.
It might have something to do with the unprofessional way that he dealt with players (poor talker at times)

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Banfield obviously has no idea on the structure of football clubs. You go to any football side no matter the level and the senior coach is the main man and if he wants players to play in a certain spot in the ressies thats what is done and has to be done. The ressies are there primarily there for this reason.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
iceman
Club Player

CURLY wrote:Banfield obviously has no idea on the structure of football clubs. You go to any football side no matter the level and the senior coach is the main man and if he wants players to play in a certain spot in the ressies thats what is done and has to be done. The ressies are there primarily there for this reason.
The difference being that Casey is a senior football club.

The saints can't afford to standalone, and the Saints/Scorps relationship is one of the better in the league, why can't people respect that.

ben_fff
Club Player

Scorps need a coach who will respect St Kilda enough to give the kids a shot in the positions the club wants them to be trialled in, blokes like Armitage need more game time, Brooks needs to actually be used in the ruck.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I raised this earlier in the year.

ppl were lauding the season turn around at casey, and those that went to see as well as local newspaper reports suggested their style was completely at odds with st kilda's senior team.

IMO casey should be treated as an extension of teh st kilda football club, their style of play should be brought into our line of style.

if our senior strategies are superior, then it should be equally applicable at the reserves side and players will be able to walk into the senior side knowing the drills and tactics.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
ben_fff
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:I raised this earlier in the year.

ppl were lauding the season turn around at casey, and those that went to see as well as local newspaper reports suggested their style was completely at odds with st kilda's senior team.

IMO casey should be treated as an extension of teh st kilda football club, their style of play should be brought into our line of style.

if our senior strategies are superior, then it should be equally applicable at the reserves side and players will be able to walk into the senior side knowing the drills and tactics.
Exactly.

Brian Collis
Club Player

F*** off Banfield

Sh!t Footballer

Sh!t coach

Sh!t stirrer

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote: IMO casey should be treated as an extension of teh st kilda football club, their style of play should be brought into our line of style.

I agree in part, I think it's also important for the club to do what it can to make it a successful partnership so that the benefits of being out at Cranbourne flow on to the saints.

With not having anything specific to say, I'd guess that clubs like Casey will always have a nucleus of individuals who make sacrifices as volunteers/supporters to help keep the club going. There's also a history that we should acknowledge and support. I'd hope our club didn't respect those sorts of things that keep smaller outfits like Casey running.

Integrating coaching and management of the teams would be a terrific start - if it costs us $ so be it. The tangible benefits of simply developing one or two extra "best 22" players would make it worth it. As would the knowledge that players dropped from the seniors had a reasonable expectation to be able to perform in an environment where they could showcase their skills.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
Dan Warna wrote: IMO casey should be treated as an extension of teh st kilda football club, their style of play should be brought into our line of style.

I agree in part, I think it's also important for the club to do what it can to make it a successful partnership so that the benefits of being out at Cranbourne flow on to the saints.

With not having anything specific to say, I'd guess that clubs like Casey will always have a nucleus of individuals who make sacrifices as volunteers/supporters to help keep the club going. There's also a history that we should acknowledge and support. I'd hope our club didn't respect those sorts of things that keep smaller outfits like Casey running.

Integrating coaching and management of the teams would be a terrific start - if it costs us $ so be it. The tangible benefits of simply developing one or two extra "best 22" players would make it worth it. As would the knowledge that players dropped from the seniors had a reasonable expectation to be able to perform in an environment where they could showcase their skills.
cowboy agree with the pumping money into casey thought. Just having the full compliment of rookies adds depth to the casey squad already. I think the who springvale move has meant that some are a little dirty about the whole situation. Imagine us getting moved to tassie and being called the tassie saints. I would be dirty too. Just cause they kept the scorpian name still doesn't make up for springvale losing their team.

Banfield is old school from that point of view IMO

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith