Butterss interviewed by KB on SEN 11;30 Tues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Looks like we're throwing the baby out with the bathwater again.

No Jokes People....That line was said up to eight times.

JeffDunne

So Rod's now endorsing Burke & Thompson? Bizarre.

Strange given his comments a few weeks ago. Strange also when both men have clearly stated that they think Rod has to go. Strange that he thinks they should be elected un-opposed. Again trying to take the decision away from members.

It is a disgrace that Rod's best defence is an attempt to link the club's viability to him maintaining office. Sad indictment in fact on his management over the past 7-8 years if the club's viability is dependent on one person. God help us if he ever got hit by a bus. :roll:

Must make discussions with potential sponsors and financiers interesting too.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Rod: "Look at Geelong - they went for stability, they kept Bomber and the kept the board, and now they are playing for a flag".
Did Rod really say this? Did he really refer to how well Geelong has done because they kept their coach?

Bless him!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Up until now, I had chosen not to believe the nastier rumours about Rod that were flying around this forum a few weeks ago.

But, after this comment, I'm starting to wonder.................... :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Otiman wrote:Looks like we're throwing the baby out with the bathwater again.

No Jokes People....That line was said up to eight times.
That's an old GT special that one.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:i would rather have folks be more appreciative of what RB has done for st kilda :(

he'll probably lose the election be it in October or November however he has led us to financial success, and given us a crack at the flag for a few years.

IMO the club is a better place now than when he arrived.

he is acting poorly now, however a bit of respect :(

its not like he's the enemy, he's one of ours IMO.
fat chance of that Dan Warna. The baying mob smells blood and will do anything to insult and disrespect Rod Butters and the efforts he has put in on behalf of them.

I agree, RB is gone, will get voted out and Westaway and his cronies will get their hands on the members money to spend like crazy.

To think the small minded here would give the president of 7 years any respect is laughable Dan.
:roll:

He deserves respect for what he has done but would have received more if he bowed out gracefully and not tried to hold on.

As i have always said, even if he did hold on and the majority voted for him, the agitators would be baying for blood and destablising the joint until Butters is gone. :roll:

No respect for Butters is so typical. Hope Greg and Burkie know what they are getting themselves into. Hopefully a couple of years down the track the same "supporters" aren't disrespecting them the same way they are vilifying Butters.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

yep

same thing happened when GT left, 1/3 were telling us he was the messiah (probably me among them) and 1/3 were telling us he was the anti christ and 1/3 just wanted to move on (probably where I am now)

i can see the same thing happening in 12 months time.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
JeffDunne

Not sure why everyone wants to attribute whatever 'success' over the past 8 years to Rod Butterss. Financial management is a board responsibility not that of one man. Or does Rod run the board as a dictator running his own agenda and making his own decisions? Given his background, I doubt he's actually brought much in the way of financial management skills to the board.

Rod's performance as president has been average to poor and getting worse by the day. He's done the AFL's bidding in President meetings against our interests, he's made public comments that embarrass the club and has failed to establish any effective communication with members.

I can accept he's been part of an effective board but really what has he brought to the club in his role as president?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

lets face it if GT hadnt been sacked RB would be safe today.
RB has said he wants burkey and thommo on board regardless of who wins as a ploy to get the fans who are only voting for SFF cause burkie and AT are on it. if it becomes a choice between Westaway and RB he at least stands a chance but against Burkie and Thommo he knows he doesnt so by taking them out by saying they will be on the board who ever wins makes it a RB vs Westaway fight for power and lets face it how many of those proxies were sent with westaways name ticked and not Burkies ???

RB is clutching at straws but serioulsy did anyone expect anything less then him to fight this to the death ?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
To the top
SS Life Member

Overtrading, Kaos and others

That is, overtrading on your capital base. In other words you are overly reliant on external creditors and you are at risk from market movements which impact on your business model and interest cover covenants. Simply, you do not actually own enough of the savaloy and as soon as there is pressure from revenue reductions or cost over-runs, the creditors move in to protect their interests.

So, how does St Kilda grow its revenue?

To the $30 Million to $35 Million canvassed?

Double its 30,000 membership?

Obtain sponsorship arrangements with major sponsors, who are going to kick in an extra $10 Million or so a year?

Well, do not kid yourself that business conditions in Australia are so bouyant that such expenditure can be contemplated - even by our major international companies.

Some of you people really must live in la la land, with St Kilda FC your only contact with the outside world.

I have never met Butterss, and I would suggest most of you are in the same boat as me - so where does the critical analysis of his business acumen come from?

Reeks of the famous Australian "tall poppy" complex to me.

IF the guy is worth $50 Million NET he has done pretty well.

As I have read he built a successful business and sold out. Much the same as Packer selling to Bond (and then buying back again at a fraction of the original price).

No doubt those passing comment can buy and sell Butterss, hence their critique.

And Thomas is again mentioned by certain of the anti-Butterrs group of ferals.

And you know the industry which is most prone to over-trading?

Transport.

Everything that moves is on lease - and the costs of human resourse, fuel, rent, repairs and maintenance etc. etc. are constants, along with the monthly lease payments and the RV payouts (if not refinanced).

Then you have a Trade Debtor ledger to manage.

There are reasons some survive (long established including the real estate owned by the retired generation, receiving rental income, being the pre-requisite and because of the appreciation in freehold wealth able to be mortgaged) and there are reasons why far more fail (overtrading).

I would suggest that you refrain from commenting on individuals monetary worth unless you are in the position "Tiny"Rowlings was in regards Bond, when Bond had "Tiny's" yacht moved from the Number 1 mooring in Monarco and the Lonhro owner did not like it - immediately commissioned a forensic analysis and handed over 100,000- Sterling for the exercise, which wobbled Bond's bankers.

THAT was the end of Bond.

And that is the way they play their games.

So never jump to conclusions, about anyone.

Some are most obviously so blinded by their negative opinions of Butterss that the comment they make is quite alarming.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:lets face it if GT hadnt been sacked RB would be safe today?
perhaps, perhaps not, RB + GT and everyone else has said what the said and moved on. If david friend was still at st kilda, if RB never split from his wife, etc etc etc. no use looking backwards and what ifs.
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
RB has said he wants burkey and thommo on board regardless of who wins as a ploy to get the fans who are only voting for SFF cause burkie and AT are on it. if it becomes a choice between Westaway and RB he at least stands a chance but against Burkie and Thommo he knows he doesnt so by taking them out by saying they will be on the board who ever wins makes it a RB vs Westaway fight for power and lets face it how many of those proxies were sent with westaways name ticked and not Burkies ???

?
people forget that RB, GT amongst others played for st kilda themselves once. Danny Frawley was a much loved legend of st kilda when he retired, now many youngsters just know him as a failed richmond coach and a slow speaking but pleasant comentator from TV, they forget the adulation he had. GT knows the love for burke is still strong
st_Trav_ofWA wrote: RB is clutching at straws but serioulsy did anyone expect anything less then him to fight this to the death ?
perhaps but SFF to some degree ambushed him.

IMO he is gone, but the manner of his going is up to him. SFF will get my vote but some of their tactics I find questionable.

RB played for st kilda, came to st kilda when they needed a white knight, threw some of his own money in, threw a lot of his own time in, and gave an interest free loan to st kilda if my memory serves me right a few years ago.

i think RB's time has come but a little respect and a little less hate, or it will be GT all over again, and RB is this years satan.

SHUT UP KRIME!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:
As I have read he built a successful business and sold out. Much the same as Packer selling to Bond (and then buying back again at a fraction of the original price).
I thought he inherited the business.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:actually I believe his personel management business had a 50m turnover.

RB is not a stupid man.
And most of it was sheer luck.

Understands very little himself about business principles ... but that's alright as long as he surrounds himself with people who do.
On what facts do you base this assumption?

I’ll give you a clue, you don’t build a $50 million dollar company with sheer luck.

And surrounding yourself with suitably qualified people for their specific roles is good business management and practice.

Build yourself a $50 million dollar company then back on line and let us know if it achievable with pure luck.
Last edited by Joffa Burns on Tue 25 Sep 2007 5:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

thats my point this whole challange has become a popularity contest and RB is losing it big time cause as you said most ppl dont know RB played for the saints and most ppl think of NB and see a club legend .. but his efforts on the feild dont account for him being a good board member

if GT was not fired then the greater population of saints fans would not have had the grudge on RB he would of still prob lost cause ite burkey and thommo...... and some guy named westaway :roll:

my point is the popular choice isnt always the right choice

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
To the top wrote:
I thought his father was involved in Property development!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
if GT was not fired then the greater population of saints fans would not have had the grudge on RB he would of still prob lost cause ite burkey and thommo...... and some guy named westaway :roll:
If GT wasn't sacked, then RB wouldn't have spent the following 3 months embarrassing the club publicly.

I doubt the sacking bothers anyone anymore - Butterss behaviour afterwards is what concerned plenty.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
To the top wrote:
You may well be right.

It was just what I heard.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
To the top wrote:
You may well be right.

I've heard his father was involved in something else, but I'm confident you'll find his did indeed inherit a lot of money/investments.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
To the top wrote:
You may well be right.

I've heard his father was involved in something else, but I'm confident you'll find his did indeed inherit a lot of money/investments.
He started his business from nothing. He didnt inherit money to start the business but lets knock RB anyway we can.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:thats my point this whole challange has become a popularity contest and RB is losing it big time cause as you said most ppl dont know RB played for the saints and most ppl think of NB and see a club legend .. but his efforts on the feild dont account for him being a good board member

my point is the popular choice isnt always the right choice
actually did have a look at gregorys transport, and googled most of other directors as well.

greg westaway is an impressive businessman, and it seems usually a private one, not one to grandstand or do the circuit.

SHUT UP KRIME!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: He started his business from nothing. He didnt inherit money to start the business but lets knock RB anyway we can.
I'm in no way intending to knock Butterss here at all.

I'll knock his presidency, but don't care about anything else.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
To the top wrote:
You may well be right.

He started his business from nothing. He didnt inherit money to start the business but lets knock RB anyway we can.
whatever plugger.

You are always right aren't you?

I'm just saying what I've heard.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
To the top wrote:
You may well be right.

whatever plugger.

I am not always right but in this case i am. Was it a rumour you heard or from someone who would know.

jill
Club Player

:evil: :twisted: R B no longer has the best interests of the Club at heart. We the Cub Members need to email, write, phone Club & demand an early election so the matter is resolved quickly & who ever is elected can then begin implementing their plans for the future!!!
The longer this drags on, the more damage done!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
To the top wrote:
You may well be right.

whatever plugger.

I am not always right but in this case i am. Was it a rumour you heard or from someone who would know.
it was from someone very close to RB/GT/St.Kilda etc, but it may be off the mark a little - I didn't here anything from the horses mouth.......I wasn't intended to knock RB on this post (sure I have on plenty of others!), just passing on info.....cheers....

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

Thanks " To the Top" for the lesson on Corporate Finance and Management.
To be basic, can you answer the following questions for me, and for the benefit of others, without Corporate spin:

>Butterss and Co have lost BOTH major sponsors allegedly because the Club failed to honour the sponsorship Contracts. With that reputation, where will the replacements come from and would they be at a level sufficient to contribute to an increase in revenue for next year.

>Is the damaging fued between Butterss and Thomas all settled, dead and buried and is the Court action by Thomas against the Club ($250,000 or so) still proceeding.

>Why is the Butterss Board split - and how long has it been this way?

> What steps has the Board taken to replace senior personnel who have left the Club in the last year or so. What's the reason for the mass exodus?

>Now is the time for Butterss and Co to release their Business Plan - I can't recall seeing one in the past either. Are you aware of what their plans are for 2008 - it's all very well just announcing a $500,000 spend on football only days after the SKFF reared it's head.

>What are the Butterss plans for stopping the decline in memdership numbers - the numbers should be increasing not decreasing.

These are the points that concern me most, all to do with getting the house back in order.

Your answers or answers from others would be appreciated.

GO SAINTERS.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.