VFL, time to go it alone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jaz
Club Player

VFL, time to go it alone?

Just thinking how much better it would be for all if we fielded our own team in the vfl. Just a senior team that plays at moorabbin, It would be great to see footy played there again. The main advantage is developing players in there positions, such as brooks he plays FF for scorps but is never going to play FF in AFL. But there are many other advantages, they would get biggger crowds if we only had to go to moorabin and there would be 12 -15 saints listed players playing, our own coaches can work with the senior coaches on game plans for both teams and another would be that we can recruit players to our vfl side. Players such as Jones and Sweeney and Gwilt. All these ones we got from obscurity we could at least get them to the club training with us and playing vfl and see how they handle themselves. I am sure we wouldnt have drafted sweeney if we had done this for a year first. Then this gives us more room to draft young kids, which is what we havnt done the last 2 years.

Im not sure about finances but i persume we could put a lot of money into the vfl team and be able to pay players well to get some good talent to complement our listed players.

And if we stay at moorabin with the redevelopment then we could have an amazing setup for developing players.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

We barely put any money into the club, let alone would think about fielding out own team in the VFL. I like the alignment with casey, but we wont have a stand along VFL team for a fair while even if we choose to go down that path

Carpe Diem
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We should focus on getting facilities/staff for the senior team before worrying about our own reserves team.

The Casey partnership seems to be going pretty well at the moment. The team is going well and our players are playing where they should be.

Jaz
Club Player

The Casey partnership seems to be going pretty well at the moment. The team is going well and our players are playing where they should be.
I dont think so, crowds are poor and as i said players arnt playing in the right possition such a brooks. and others like raymond and allen were playing reserves and the last game of the year howard, sweeney and van reehnan played reserves aswell. There is a massive difference in coaching style, game plan and that contributes to players not fitting straight into the senior side when they are promoted

I think you will find many clubs doing this in the future, just look at sydney and geelong two teams that have this setup atm
We should focus on getting facilities/staff for the senior team before worrying about our own reserves team.
There is an old saying you are only as good as your worst player. So improving our depth should be of extreme importance for us. I would be much happier recruiting older players from country/metro leagues to our vfl side with a view for a position on the senior list. than wasting our draft picks on these players like we have the last 3 years.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I put up a thread a few weeks ago on this very topic, Jaz.

I hope you garner a better response than I did...

(How I wish we had a search function and a thread-merge function on this site...:( )

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

casey scorp
Club Player

Jaz wrote:
I dont think so, crowds are poor
Crowds might be "poor"compared to AFL matches, but the "reserves" no longer play as curtain raisers. Casey Fields has the highest attendances of any ground (including Skilled Stadium for stand-alone Geelong VFL matches). Given that Geelong can't muster a larger crowd in its home city for its VFL matches, what makes you think that Moorabbin could pull a bigger crowd?

Casey Fields has the advantage of being right in a major growth area which, if St Kilda plays its cards right, can be tapped into via the Casey Scorpions.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Just a thought: maybe if footy is played at Moorabbin again, even VFL footy, it may prompt the kingstpn council to be more accomodating in terms of upgrading our facilities at the ground.

But I reckon its a top idea to go it alone, always thought so. Springvale/Casey aren't a great fit geographically or history-wise for our club (should have got Sandy), and I find myself having little to no interest in the Scorps at all, whereas I reckon I'd definately get along to as many St Kilda VFL games as possible.