Just out of left field

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Just out of left field

Brad Smith kick I think six in the WAFL Granny on the weekend and ended up with 114 for the year.

Built like David Swartz in his prime and has plenty of talent.

Downside is that he is 29 has had two knee reco's.

WCE filled a hole with Troy Wilson a couple of years back, but apparently Smith has twice the talent.

Now i dont know if it is worth the risk, and obviously his age and knees are against him (also has indicated that he probably wouldn't want another crack at AFL.

I only raise it as a talking point. He could be around for mabye 3 years, is built like a brick whatsit, and can kick goals

Mabye be the "enforcer" we have lost now Sammy is gone.

Would cost a lot less than Fevola and we would keep #9.

Has dodgey knees but they stood up this year for him to kick 114 goals.

Is he worth looking at?

Discuss.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I dont know anything about this guy but based on your report, age, injuries are 2 issues you've already raised.

also WAFL is behind SANFL in quality IMO and possibly lower in depth than VFL although thats arguable.

another arguement is the WCE are very good at hiding talent and scanning the WAFL and other leagues for hidden talent and they have passed over this guy.

and will he help us have a shot at the flag in 08 or 09?

a lot of negatives.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
GrumpyOne

We should only recruit players who are willing to, and can give 5 years plus to the club.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:We should only recruit players who are willing to, and can give 5 years plus to the club.
which was a policy introduced by thomas...and now followed by the clubs climbing the ladder to success......apart from the roos...but i think even they have now learned their lesson......

...no hacks wanted.......sff should hang that sign outside moorabbin when they take over in due course.... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:We should only recruit players who are willing to, and can give 5 years plus to the club.
Average career of an AFL footballer is 3 years. That means we would never have a full list under this rule.

Oh and Smith was on WCE list but was let go once he had the knee reco's.

For a bargain basement price he may well be worth a couple of seasons.

Could suprise.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
busso mick
Club Player

Well done Subi, 3 flags in 4 years :D . Smith is not the enforcer type of player, his knees aren't too flash and can only run in straight lines. He is good on a lead and not too bad in a pack but useless when the ball hits the ground. His kicking is great (a bit like Heatley), he got 7 yesterday and over 120 for the year. His AFL career is past him, he has even hinted at retirement from WAFL after the game yesterday. If he didn't have his knee troubles he would have been a 50-60 goal forward for the Eagles.

Saint Mik
Club Player

No one over 25 unless they are a proven AFL outfit that will play come round one next year.

Our forward line is not our problem its the other key positions on the ground that we need.

If we get the right players to our club Kossi at FF and ROO at CHF would be a hard forward set up to match up on.

We need to throw some decent money at a quality Ruckmen and midfeilder with alot of pace.

Geez Judd would be handy :( wish we were in the hunt really

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Solar
Saintsational Legend

sounds like a larger jason heatley.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
GrumpyOne

joffaboy wrote:
Average career of an AFL footballer is 3 years. That means we would never have a full list under this rule.
Joffa, the phrase "willing to" was in that post.

Perlease!!!!!!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i have always been a fan and followed his career as i always thought he was going to be a gun...

however at 29 with battle-weary knees he is never going to amount to anything...its a real shame too he could have been a star at full-forward

heart says yes romantically...

head says no...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Is too much of a risk. Even at a bargain basement price, I question the philosophy of trying to plug gaps with guys who are tapering off rather than on the up.
Heard Ken Judge, Glenn Mitchell and Kim Hughes talking about him a few weeks back and they were raising the issue of his viability as an AFL returnee.
Consensus amongst commentators and a couple of callers who follow WAFL was that he would have been a good contributor at WCE if he hadn't done his knees, but that his time as an AFL player is past.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Yeh too risky. I like the idea. Though I'd rather use that pick on a bean pole ruckman and give him time to develop, or a young indigenous speedster and develop him.

If this guy could make an instant impact or has what it takes. WCE would've seriously considered him in recent years especially.

Carpe Diem
SaintHomer
Club Player

no from me.

too risky, not knowing if he can step up in levels from WAFL to the big time. can't afford to give him the time needed.

knee reco's x2 seal the deal.

much rather we put time into Watts up forward or even brooks. surely he has to get game time this year, or delist him.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I like the way you think - there are some gems to be found. Not sure this guy is worth the risk - knees bad - but not wanting a crack at AFL worries me as much.

Would be interesting to see if there was someone else to take a punt on - I would dearly love to replace Sammy's onfield agression. Fev can kick but his head worries me. Sweeney was meant to be a bit of a smokey for us and that didn't work.

I'm not sure this approach works anymore.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:I like the way you think - there are some gems to be found. Not sure this guy is worth the risk - knees bad - but not wanting a crack at AFL worries me as much.

Would be interesting to see if there was someone else to take a punt on - I would dearly love to replace Sammy's onfield agression. Fev can kick but his head worries me. Sweeney was meant to be a bit of a smokey for us and that didn't work.

I'm not sure this approach works anymore.
yeah well it is just a bit of a discussion. Would agree it would be a big risk, but if we got him what would we lose?

Certainly not #9, he would be a 5th rounder. Certainly not much in SC.

the points about stopgaps may be correct. But we did have a stopgap in Heatley who nearly won us a GF. Carlton had a stopgap in Pierce who was only about a couple of year but they won a GF with him.

bussomicks view were especially interesting. Cant turn and runs on rails due to his knees. May well be found out in AFL.

Anyways, we need to keep looking for someone overlooked which doesn't cost much and can be a real find.

Another Andy Thompson could be around the corner somewhere.

Lance or James??

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i think we found with CJ how far behind the AFL the WAFL is.

CJ was reputedly a gun at the WAFL, 3rd best in teh competition on form.

at AFL level he looks lost and skillless.

by all accounts CJ is earning his keep in the VFL. with the retirements will get a second year and we all hope he improves.

at 29 if you summation is accurate (and I know nothing about him) i would rather we fished a smokey at the end of the draft than this guy.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ive seen brad smith a fair ammount and he sadly has missed the boat the poor bloke had 2 years on westcoasts list where he was going to be their saviour the first real full forward since sumich but he did his first knee in training and the second in a practice match

at this stage hes too old WC tryed to get the AFL to let them keep him on as an overage rookie but that was shot down hes accepted that his AFL dream has gone past him and is happy to just play footy for "fun" with his beloved subiaco so i really dont think he would want to go around again in all honesty

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't want to play AFL anymore. His knees apparently are stuffed and he is likely to retire from the WAFL this year so he will still be able to walk in 5 years.

quidnunc
Club Player

We picked up a guy who kicked 10 goals in a SAFL grand final winning team but unfortunately he hasn't set the world on fire with us. Just shows the enormous gap between AFL and feeder competitions.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:i think we found with CJ how far behind the AFL the WAFL is.
CJ was reputedly a gun at the WAFL, 3rd best in teh competition on form.
at AFL level he looks lost and skillless.
by all accounts CJ is earning his keep in the VFL. with the retirements will get a second year and we all hope he improves.
at 29 if you summation is accurate (and I know nothing about him) i would rather we fished a smokey at the end of the draft than this guy.

Agree Dan, certainly with regard to CJ. Also, the added physical pressure of the top level may find out injury prone guys who can physically function at WAFL level. There is some ready to go talent in that comp though. CJ came third behind Priddis who was the Sandover medallist last year and had a gun 2007 for a first year player. It's just a matter of picking 'em. A fifth round for Smith? I'd still rather take a younger player than have a punt on a guy with Smith's history. There have been some very worthwhile stopgaps as other posters have pointed out, but IMO, this fella is too risky.