pick 9 as a weapon.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

pick 9 as a weapon.

Essendon, carlton, melbourne, Collingwood amongst others are chasing Judd. IMO judd at 1m to 1.2 m p/a is a massive risk given his unavailability for early next year and the possibility of limited return on his recovery. however the bidding war is on.

Pick 9 IMO can be used as a weapon when trading picks is like futures tradeing in the scramble for clubs trying to get Judd and adcock. IMO we might even be able to ninja adcock for pick 9, in a judd multiparty trade if he wants to come to st kilda.

WCE will want players and draft picks to the winning side, whoever wins judd will have to give WCE a fair price, or they might 'nick stevens' him to Carlton or richmond.

IMO we are in a position to extort a price for our pick 9.

so the rumour goes we are chasing f.ebola...well carlton want to keep their priority pick so to get our pick 9, they will have to pay the piper, (pick 9 and pick 3 is a healthy price for judd)

essendon, collingwood with higher picks may pay us more for our pick 9.

i don't think we own anyone any favours.

in the past we've treated teams fairly, we've gone for young talent and paid the appropriate price for potential guns.

IMO this time we should either 1. invest in pick 9 in a young talent, or 2. sell our pick 9 to the highest bidder for established young talent.

picks 7 to 12 IMO will be worth a fortune to teams aiming for judd.

Also IMO I can't see why pick 9 can't be used for two players given the vacancies in our list.

IMO Pick 9 for jared Rivers and GOP from melbourne. they get Judd with their first 2 picks.

essendon will try and off load rubbish onto us for our pick 9, but their young talent is very light IMO.

Collingwood, I dont want dudak, and thomas, cloke, and pendlebury will be off limits, I think thomas or pendlebury for pick 9 would be great, i would love to roll collingwood over a barrel for one of their kids, and h.eddie is desperate for a big signing. If they want Judd they will have to lose 2 players IMO given their finish in the ladder.

Fattleby, IMO he is probably worth pick 9, but if he's walking from Freo, I can't see why we can't do a 'heath black on them' and offer the rubbish like our second round pick for him, or if we trade our pick 9, i can't see why we can't get round 2 pick as well as a good player, which we can ontrade to freo for fattleby.

Freo barrelled us over heath black twice, I wouldn't mind barrelling them over fattleby in return, definately not worth our pick 9, in a year when pick trading will be worth more than their potential players as teams move to placate brisbane and WCE for two young guns.

of the ruckmen up for trade, really they are generally a bunch of knobels and hacklands in the market in 07/08, but there are a fair few very talented midfielders that could be up for grabs.

I think we have to look internally for developing ruckman in 07, I wouldn't think given whats available in the meat market there was much worth whetting our lips over and given the price that second stringers like jolly and hudson would be commanding, id be worried.

if we play our cards right, the chase for judd and adcock could deliver quality to st kiilda if we are willing to be brutal.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

on the other hand pick 9 should get the saints a 200 game player....maybe a selwood even.....

...that why clubs scramble for top 10 picks.........any we have had, we have wasted the past 5 years.....don't let it happen again st kilda.....

... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:on the other hand pick 9 should get the saints a 200 game player....maybe a selwood even.....

...that why clubs scramble for top 10 picks.........any we have had, we have wasted the past 5 years.....don't let it happen again st kilda.....

... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
It's an interesting one, isn't it.

Who are the players in the comp that you'd instantly want on your list?

And how many of them were top 10 picks?

How many of our guns were top 10 picks?

One Carlton supporter was asking the question "Why would we trade Fevola for draft picks, when we would be hoping that that draft pick turns out to be a gun key forward - which is what Fevola already is!"

I tend to agree.

If a player is out there who is at a level that you'd hope to get a draft pick to, why trade them, or trade for them?

Like the Goose. If we could get our pick 9 to be a tough, running, goal kicking CHB we'd all be stoked. So why trade one that we already have?

Then there is the other side. Getting a bunch of young guys int the club at the same time and building a 'team' together. As opposed to getting individuals with talent into the club from other clubs.

Interesting discussion, and one that I see both sides to.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think Richter first suggested this....gaining advantage for Pick off Judd...rather than for Judd

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=36089

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
wildgoose
Club Player

Trading away our picks, that's worked well in the past. I hope we keep it.

And hack pup is out again, bowled without troubling the scorers.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think we are in a bit of a possition of power as we have no chance in getting judd but we can also help the eagles to decide where he go's if we trade pick no. 9
but saying that pick no. 9 could net us a decent pick up in the draft as there was a few good players in this years draft but not many superstar players if we trade pick 9 and Chris Masten go's at pick nine or after i will be annoyed

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i think we can get 2 players of quality for pick 9 for a team desperate for Judd.

am i being greedy? hell yeah.

do I care if we violate a collingwood or carlton? hell no.

SHUT UP KRIME!
wildgoose
Club Player

If they are quality, but not if they are Jarred Rivers and a GOP. Please no.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

wildgoose wrote:If they are quality, but not if they are Jarred Rivers and a GOP. Please no.
you dont rate jared rivers? he's maguire 2 years younger IMO

SHUT UP KRIME!
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Rivers would be a good pickup indeed.

Carpe Diem
wildgoose
Club Player

Not quite, he hasn't got the body of Maguire, not as big, plus we dont really need to CHB's, not one of them would be quick enough to play full back.

I think if we are gonna trade pick 9, we have to look at our weakness, midfield, or ruck.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

miller and rivers for pick 9?

miller isn't a KPP but as a replacement for hamill and he's been on the nose at melbourne for sometime, not good enough for CHF but as the 3rd tall behind kosi and reiwolt he's certainly young enough.

rivers, 3rd tall defender a replacement for kosi, can mark can run can kick?

again not saying do it, but as an idea?

SHUT UP KRIME!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

wildgoose wrote:I think if we are gonna trade pick 9, we have to look at our weakness, midfield, or ruck.
Agreed. I rate Rivers very highly but after a year on the sidelines he has a massive question mark hanging over him.

Hudson would be quite the coup but midfield-run has to be key.

For WC to be missing Kerr, Cousins and Judd, an unfit Embley and an out of form Fletcher yet still be extremely competitive speaks volumes about their depth in that area.

Imagine having Ball, Dal and Hayes missing from our line-up, we would get battered.

wildgoose
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:miller and rivers for pick 9?

miller isn't a KPP but as a replacement for hamill and he's been on the nose at melbourne for sometime, not good enough for CHF but as the 3rd tall behind kosi and reiwolt he's certainly young enough.

There is your GOP, Miller :lol: If we were to trade pick 9 for those 2, we would be the loser out of that deal.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

wildgoose wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:miller and rivers for pick 9?

There is your GOP, Miller :lol: If we were to trade pick 9 for those 2, we would be the loser out of that deal.
mebbe I was really impressed with rivers he has all the ability to be a 10 year defender of quality. he's a top 10 draft pick I think and a rising star winner, not many rising star winners have backfired.

while IMO Miller was given too much responsibility too early, melbourne fans were calling him their riewoldt, the reality is he isn't in that class, but he can mark and he can run and he can kick goals. as a third tall, taking the third defender imo it would stretch most defences, not good enough to take the first defender.

IMO I rate miller + Rivers as better for st kilda than pick 9 plus a gop for f.ebola. two 10 year players for 1 pick vs 1 4 year player.

SHUT UP KRIME!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

There is no way in hell we would get Rivers for pick 9. He is rated very, very highly at Melbourne and is set to be their CHB for the next 10 years.

The only players we should consider trading pick 9 for are midfielders. Maybe Hasleby, maybe a Bruce/Johnstone if Melbourne threw something else in.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:There is no way in hell we would get Rivers for pick 9. He is rated very, very highly at Melbourne and is set to be their CHB for the next 10 years.

The only players we should consider trading pick 9 for are midfielders. Maybe Hasleby, maybe a Bruce/Johnstone if Melbourne threw something else in.
fattleby is talented but I read somewhere he is struggling with OP? Im impressed by the little I've seen of him, but he lacks pace. reminds me a lot of adrian fletcher I've said in the past.

I've been bagging a couple of dees supporters for what seems like an eternity calling him bong boy...the irony if he comes to the saints :D Travis johnstone is 27 will be 28 next year and has played soem 160 games, tackles well, attacks hard but gets abotu 20 to 21 possessions a game, he's ok without being elite,

Bruce is going to be 28 or 29 next year, he's a bit like gilbert or troy shwartz as a light tall who can mark, kick goals and run with player.

both short term prospects IMO, bruce especially.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:There is no way in hell we would get Rivers for pick 9. He is rated very, very highly at Melbourne and is set to be their CHB for the next 10 years.

Pick 9 for Cameron Bruce AND Melbourne threw something else in!?! Come on.

Bruce is their best player imo. Turns 28 late next year.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

if they want judd they gonna have to bleed for him IMO.

that said bruce hasn't achieved his heights of some years ago.

SHUT UP KRIME!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

if pick nine goes anywhere near the dockers then there are real problems
haselby is not worth a first round pick no way at all hes slow fat and often looks dissinterested plus his off feild antics are not great

when our critics say pace in our midfeild is our weakness im suprised we would want a slow midfeilder

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:if they want judd they gonna have to bleed for him IMO.

that said bruce hasn't achieved his heights of some years ago.
Probably hasn't but he's still a brilliant footballer.

He was the early Brownlow favourite in 2005 until Guerra decided he needed a new shoulder so helped him take the old one out at the opening bounce round 4 or 5. :lol:

Never really recovered that season but his first month of football was incredible. I remember it well.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Yeah he's shoulder injury won us that game. He was gone in the opening 5 mins and that just set us up. He was the inform player of the comp

Carpe Diem
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

An excellent original post Dan.

It's really a matter of playing the waiting game at the moment. When Judd nominates his club then we can get involved & play hard ball.

At worst we keep our #9 pick, draft Rance, Rioli of whoever & rejuvenate through the kids.

If we do get an offer we can't refuse, then go for it.

The key is to keep our nerve & not trade away pick 9 & help another club get one of the best ever without making them hurt a little. If Carlton want pick 9 then they will need to look at trading Hampson and their 2nd pick or something similar.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Would we take Sylvia for pick 9?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Would we take Sylvia for pick 9?
he can't crack it in a team that was getting hammered...

be doubtful if we took him with a round 1 draft pick...

supposedly a ready made player who was going to walk into the seniors.

im smelling some caydn beetham socks on this one.

SHUT UP KRIME!