Hamill retires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Thanks sammy, always a saint now :)

Along with harvey he was the spirtual leader of the past 5-6 years. Thanks mate, you gave everything you had.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:its almost poetic that sammy and G leave the same year as they arrived at the same time

i remember when we got both of them it was the biggest buzz it was a start of a new era for the club one that was going to lead us to premiership glory ... it didnt happen but it was a fun ride all the same
im sad by their retirments but part of me cant help but be excited about the next phase of our club now the "young guns" are going to be the leaders of the club

thanx for the memories Sammy the last of the bash and crash players a st kilda

voss too....
my how the tide is turning yet banger again out lives another generation of saints :wink:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
super dooper
Club Player

Yet another retirement in James Clement today as well

Duggie
Club Player

My daughter will go into mourning.
As for me I applaud his devotion to the club but for the last two seasons have had a gut feeling he would not return without injury.
Came from my former home town Canberra :lol:

A Saint Forever!
nicko016
Club Player

Even though there was probably only a 1% chance of him playing next year it is still hard to take. It's been great watching him play and it sucks that he was 1 or 2 short of playing 100 games for us.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well....with Hamill and Voss now both retired.......our need for a small/medium forward that can takea mark, put some defensive pressure on etc....is even more heightened.

We still have good tall forwards.....have Milne...but are really lacking in another forward option or two...and I don't mean a lumberer like Watts.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear (if it's true per the article) that some of his 2008 payments have been included this year, plus him retiring now frees up a spot next year.

5 players down already retired???

...looking good for that rebuild.

Hopefully Sammy is still involved next season in a coaching capacity - glad it looks like he will be officially gone now and we can move ahead and stop all the will he, can he, should he play bulltish!

*BaLLy iS BeST*
Club Player

ohhh :cry:

loved the man...one of the best players we have had when it comes to pressure and ferocity at the ball. he showed the other blokes how they should go about it.

going to miss him heaps - always hoped he would get back out there. especially because u could tell how badly he was trying to :(

my little brother will be shattered. his favourite player.

not only was he a top footballer, but a top bloke. always went out of his way for the supporters.
best of luck with everything sammy

i will miss you bally. but i guess you just didn't want to be here.

heres hoping you are regretting that choice on that last day in september 2010 - go saints.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

No chance we could pick him for two games next year against weaker clubs, even if he stayed on the bench, to get him to the 100 game mark, ala Essendon and Dean Rioli?

saintm
Club Player

Goodbye and good luck to my favourite player - it's a real shame that we didn't get to see a fit and firing Aaron Hamill again.

Even though Aaron's retirement is yet to be made official, i.e. have yet to see anything from the Club, will the Club pay tribute to Fraser, Vossy, Thommo & Aaron at the B&F next week and are all the players required to be in attendance?

Article in The Age said that Aaron had flown overseas at the weekend and there was also a piece in the Herald-Sun or The Age yesterday which said that Fraser would not be at the Grand Final for the retirees send off because he was going overseas later this week.

edit - Article re Fraser was a rumour from Hutchy. Make of that what you will!!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Thank god for that. I've had the utmost respect for Aaron as a player and now I've got respect for him in acknowledging that his body's not up to it any more. The writing's been on the wall for a couple of years, he gave it everything he had to recover, but has now done the right thing by the club.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think that because the Saints are putting payments into this year Sammy does not have to be included on the list next year and neither do his payments.

It is different to Voss because he wasnt injured so they couldnt do that and he wanted his money whih is fair enough. Sammy has agreed to some payment in advace thus forfieting the rest of his monies owed.

luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

It's sad to see him go.
He had a heap of potential and brought about a great deal of grunt and tough-nutedness to the team.
If only his body was able to hold up we may just have been up 1 more flag.

Good luck with whatever happens from now on.

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
milney044
Club Player

Thankyou for everything you brought to this club Aaron. you are what a true, hard leader is all about. I really hope you stick around, i really value your leadership, i think its highly underrated and i always saw us as a 50% stronger team with you on the park. It's a shame that injury had to destroy your career, we certianly would have had a better chance of september glory with a fully fit Aaron Hamill. The good thing is we can be certain that we're never going to see Aaron play now, so time to start rebuilding and planning for the future.
i had 100% respect for Sammy both on and off the field, such a team orientated player and a top bloke as well. please stick around Aaron!!

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if he will hang around the club as a mentor or forward coach ect cause seriously Hamil > Barker

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Carl Mynott
Club Player

I cant remember him as a player it's been so long.....

Too bad his career was ruined by injury,he could play a bit.....

:P

The more things change the more they stay the same
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Carl Mynott wrote:I cant remember him as a player it's been so long.....

Too bad his career was ruined by injury,he could play a bit.....

:P
oh I can, chris johnson, the bloodbath in 2003 against the brions, toe to toe with archer, toe to toe with anyone.

I remember one of the krays giving him a smack to the back of his head, he just turned around and looked him down, as if to say, 'i felt that'.

if he was playing in the 80s there would be bodies strewn around him.

Even the blues fans who are rapt he is finished dont argue he was tough.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!