Some news....Voss, Sweeney, Maguire, Brooks, Bakes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

As I put on another post re the clubs playing direction.

Listen to what Harvey has said in the last 24 hours, and his references to Lyon and what Lyon has said to Harvey about next season.

Harvey has great respect for "a black and white man" etc. etc. etc.

With Baker, as most will know (and I have been ridiculed), I am of the view that the game has passed him by - and it has all been downhill since his equal B&F for a raft of reasons.

Someone responded that he brings toughness to a team which lacks toughness - but you need more than toughness to play September football.

And my view of what Milne brings to the TEAM versus the requirements of the TEAM remains - and I would view him on thin ice also.

Apart from that, and maybe another couple of mid-field types depending on the depth of the draft, not many changes except for retirements and some draftees, starting at 9.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:you're entitled to that opinion, but tell me this: why are so many other clubs interested in him if he's as ordinary as you say?

the answer: he can hold down chb. good ones don't grow on trees and goose is a good one.

btw, our win-loss ration was 4 and 7 this season before goose's return. the defence looked shell-shocked and weak ... an easy target for virtually any opposition

after his return we lost only three games. let's hope RL takes this into account
"If he his as ordinary as I say....."

it is more his in between size I am referring to

in a way an undersize Kpp who moves a lot like a ruckman

or just an undersize ruckman

if he fully recovers from very very serious injury and maintains pace he
will be a good player but not a great oneIMO

I am not sure how many clubs are officially after him compared to media speculation.

As I mentioned hope he fully recovers and becomes a good player with the saints.

saint4life
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I there not just a bit of Player Manager 101 going on???

I mean a player's contract is up for negotiation.....player manager "talks' to other clubs....not so much in an attempt to really move but rather to just to try and gain some negotiating leverage for some more $$$$

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

I rate Maguire.......Just not as highly as some on here....not in the same league as Riewoldt, Kosi, Sam Fisher, Max who IMO are A-Grade

Cam1lla
Club Player

Matty has left!!!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Cam1lla wrote:Matty has left!!!
NO camilla- suggestion and conjecture only

what game are you up to?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st.mart wrote:I rate Maguire.......Just not as highly as some on here....not in the same league as Riewoldt, Kosi, Sam Fisher, Max who IMO are A-Grade
depends what you want and what the criteria is.

you want someone to dominate in the air across half-back and inspire the others around him with his physical strength and presence, then goose (at full tilt) above all the aforementioned.

if you want someone a bit more nimble and perhaps ... perhaps ... better skills then you might go for one of the others.

has football changed that much that a strong, rugged and courageous defender has no use in the modern game?

i think the "numbers behind the ball" philospophy will change quicker. in fact i think it is out of date already.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

very dissapointed if he does leave

if he does he can go f*** himself...pretty simple...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
RooandKosi
Club Player

Re: Some news....Voss, Sweeney, Maguire, Brooks, Bakes

st.mart wrote:From a mate

Voss and Sweeney have signed with Casey for 2008........Raymond back to SA...

Maguire - Gone (does not like Ross Lyon....because he does not rate him)..they are not even close in contract negotiations...

Bakes.....was very valued by GT and rwarded contractually.....Ross does not share the view, and the negotiations there are also poles apart (his relationship with Lenny, Milne may keep him at St.K....as with lack of interest from other clubs....

Brooks will remain on the list, has not been told to pack his bags...
piss off you idiot. dont start crap. maGUIRE gone>??? yeah righto whatever and as if RL doesnt value the BEST tagger in the league in Baker??? get ya hand off it!!!

maguire and baker 2 of our hardnuts which are rare and are top 10 players IMO and others.

NO WAY does RL think "whatever" when it comes to those two.

Piss off mate you obviously just starting s***!!

maverick
Saintsational Legend

st.mart wrote:A bit of both.......but mainly that Ross does not rate Matt, as high as Matt rates Matt....
Only Saintsational posters rate Matt higher than Matt :shock:

st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

starting s*** with whom exaxtly......take or leave the info.......leave the personal abuse aside.......

Dal'sGal26
Club Player

Goose WON'T leave St Kilda!!!

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
midas_touch
Club Player

The word is Richmond are really keen on him. Goose is a required player imo, I think some people have forgotten how good he was before he broke his leg. He is a required player and is integral to our structure down back when fit and firing. Hopefully he can return to his pre break form next year. And most importantly, in our colours.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

RooandKosi wrote:piss off you idiot. dont start crap. maGUIRE gone>??? yeah righto whatever and as if RL doesnt value the BEST tagger in the league in Baker??? get ya hand off it!!!

maguire and baker 2 of our hardnuts which are rare and are top 10 players IMO and others.

NO WAY does RL think "whatever" when it comes to those two.

Piss off mate you obviously just starting s***!!
There are some genuine s***-stirring morons on this site, but st.mart isn't one of them.

Maguire was always one of GT's favourites, but having spoken to a few people who have been around the club, he isn't a favourite of many others. He does rate himself VERY highly, and it isn't hard to imagine that Lyon wouldn't want to be paying big bucks to a slow, undersized, injury-prone CHB. When on top of his game, Goose is good, but he can only play on a certain type of opponent (the Tredrea, Brown, Hall type) and hasn't really had a good year since 2005.

Due to our lack of strong defenders, he is extremely important to our structure, but mainly so we can free up others to play more attacking role. I hope Goose does sign, but if he's after any more than 300k he is dreaming.

Bakes WAS the best tagger in the comp. However his opponents have gotten bigger, faster and fitter. Bakes hasn't. The tactics employed to protect gun midfielders these days have also seen him struggle.

I don't he is capable of taking the opposition's best midfielder anymore and is more suited to tagging the creative wingman (Pendlebury, Winderlich, Eagleton) types. He still has a spot in our best 22, but there is no way that he is top 10. I don't know why we are taking so long to sign him, but he is also deluding himself if he expects big money.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:There are some genuine s***-stirring morons on this site, but st.mart isn't one of them.
agree. that was a case of shooting the messenger and uncalled for.

i also agree that on goose's 2007 form he doesn't deserve more money (if that is what this is all about).

next season if he is still with us and if he can get back to playing with the type of infectious confidence he had before his horrific injury, bump his pay then.

we should do everything else we can to keep him at the club.

a loyalty and character test for goose. i hope he passes it, because both he and the club will benefit long term

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Cam1lla wrote:Matty has left!!!
Clarke? Yeah we knew that already!
Ferguson? On thin ice, wouldn't surprise me.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:When on top of his game, Goose is good, but he can only play on a certain type of opponent (the Tredrea, Brown, Hall type) and hasn't really had a good year since 2005.
when in form i think he can play on most "types" but i'd like to point out that the Tredrea, Brown, Hall "type" have been a key feature of six of the last seven premiership teams ... that ought to count in goose's favour.

like kosi, goose is one of the better contested marks going around.

although it might not fit in with the "chipalotto" numbers-behind-the-ball gameplan, if we use them and riewoldt properly we have one of the most aerially dominant sides in the competition.

we need a game plan that plays to our strengths.

let's not tailor a list to fit a gameplan on which the jury is well and truly out (if this season is any indication)

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

If it is true that Goose feels disillusioned at the Saints, that Lyon doesn't rate him and that Richmond really want him, we are clearly in big trouble. Perhaps that's the idea behind the trade for Fev: better to get someone half-decent for Goose - even if that costs us pick 9 as well - than to lose him to Richmond in the PSD.

That actually makes sense: wouldn't we all go down this sort of route if we had no choice about it (although I'd still look for a good midfielder rather than Fev: I'd look for a three-way swap seeing Fev go to the Dogs and our ending up with one of their better quality mids).

Re Bakes: I don't know if the game has passed him by or not. But with his current relationship with the Tribunal, and his "record" for past misconduct, he is at severe risk of coming back in Round 6 and going out for another 7 weeks a couple of games later and so forth ad infinitum. I reckon his entire AFL career is teetering on the brink. It's grossly unfair, but the AFL basically seems to want to drive him out of the game.

This might sound like total sacrilege, but given the supine pose adopted by the current St Kilda regime towards the AFL, I think Bakes must be an outside chance of being cut from the team: if not this season, certainly if he is deemed to have transgressed on the field again (with or without video evidence) during 2008.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Perhaps that's the idea behind the trade for Fev: better to get someone half-decent for Goose - even if that costs us pick 9 as well - than to lose him to Richmond in the PSD.
IF goose is determined to go ... IF ... and can't be persuaded otherwise ... then we should settle for nothing less than a straight swap, fev for goose.

quality for quality.

don't give them pick 9 as well. i'm not one for charity, particularly when the recipient is carlton.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
meher baba wrote:Perhaps that's the idea behind the trade for Fev: better to get someone half-decent for Goose - even if that costs us pick 9 as well - than to lose him to Richmond in the PSD.
IF goose is determined to go ... IF ... and can't be persuaded otherwise ... then we should settle for nothing less than a straight swap, fev for goose.

quality for quality.

don't give them pick 9 as well. i'm not one for charity, particularly when the recipient is carlton.
Well, yes, but I think Carlton are actually more interested in pick 9 than they are in Goose.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Well, yes, but I think Carlton are actually more interested in pick 9 than they are in Goose.
give them pick 9 and brooks or pick 9 and watts then.

i think some on here underrate goose's value on the market. most of the opposition people i speak to think very highly of him and say "wish we had him on our list"

quality chbs don't grow on trees. goose would have been very close to all australian 2004-2005 before injuries disrupted his career. we've extended kosi all the time in the world to get himself right and that is now beginning to pay dividends. i

mo goose deserves the same courtesy.

if he does go and we don't get much in return i've got a bad feeling that it is going to come back and bite us on the a*se in a huge way

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Agree with you on Baker MB ... the tribunal have made him almost unplayable.
mad saint guy wrote:Maguire was always one of GT's favourites
Definitely not the case.

Maybe in a footballing sense, but not personally.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
super dooper
Club Player

Although i will be dissapointed if Goose was to leave, i love watching him go about his business, i really rate him when he is firing.

Reality says, we have played enough football, inc finals without him and still performed well and been able to cover for him. If we can get the likes of a B.Fevola to the club i would see it as a win for both clubs.

Dont get me wrong i want goose to stay, but if there is tension between him and the coach, it could be influencing the clubs performance on and off the field, and a change has the potential to release this tension, imo.

Time will tell what happens, hopefully both parties can come to an agreement for the better of the St.Kilda Football Club.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

If RL clearly doesn't rate Goose why did he play him about 3 weeks too early in the seniors and persist with him for half a season?

His actions contradict the speculation

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

On the upside.....Brooks is staying. (Hoping)