Saints are chasing fev (channel 10)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:If the Kangaroos can make a prelim with Drew Petrie and Leigh Brown as their only key forwards then we can do it with Riewoldt and Koschitzke.

Look at other finals team's key forwards
Mooney, Ablett - Nothing special
Lynch, Hansen, Staker - Just ok
Tredrea, Westhoff - Ordinary
Franklin, Roughead, Boyle - Good, but inconsistent
Hall, O'Loughlin - Past it
Gill, Bock - Ordinary
Cloke, Rocca - Pretty good

Roo and Kosi s*** all over those combos, and if one of Brooks or Watts can stand up we will still have the best list of tall forwards in the competition.

Brooks came to the club as a ruckman and the coaches have deemed that he is a tall forward. Watts came to the club under dodgy circumstances, but he came as a future full forward. Now that our full forward of the last five years has retired, they finally get their chance. They shouldn't be bagged for not displacing a dual Coleman medallist in their early 20's.
Best post you've ever made.

Sydney won a flag with Barry and LRT as their key defenders, and yet people think Maxie, Chips and Gilbo aren't enough.

West Coast won a flag with Lynch and Hansen as their key forwards, and yet people think Rooey and Kosi aren't enough.

Crazy ...
i think when u have Cousins/Kerr/Judd/Embly and others in your mid-field it doesn't really matter who your FF is

thats why we need another key forward to help out Roo, cos unless Gardiner makes a miraculous comeback, Kosi won't be spending too much time down there

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

For the record

Fevola kicked 29 goals from his 10 games against top 8 teams in 2007
Fevola kicked 30 goals from his 9 games against bottom 8 teams in 2007

That shows that the opposition generally doesn't have a huge impact on him, but like most full forwards, he did struggle against the top full backs.

vs Scarlett - 0.2
vs Glass - 1.2
vs Rutten - 2.3

For some perspective, here are Fraser's stats

Gehrig kicked 23 goals from his 10 games against top 8 teams
Gehrig kicked 36 goals from his 10 games against bottom 8 teams

This doesn't mean I want Fevola, but people bagging him for being a downhill skier are making things up to complain about. His record is pretty good in terms of consistency compared to most full forwards.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i'd have fev if i thought we could pick him up for very little but i'm also with the posters who think that in roo and kosi we are well served for key forwards

would prefer a half decent ruckman to ensure we can use kosi at ff next season rather than using him for hack work in the ruck where he's not particularly effective anyway (the tapouts I mean, not his around the ground work)

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I've always thought he's grossly overrated.

A product of Eddie McGuire trying to make him 'the Footy Show's own'.

Only focal point in a team which has been coached to kick to him every time they have posession.

Never kicked more than 8, and only averages less than 3 a game.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:Only focal point in a team which has been coached to kick to him every time they have posession.
I'd love to know exactly how often they kick to him. He kicked 6 or 7 on Gwilt this year, but must have been kicked to at least 15 times. Did the same thing against Collingwood with O'Brien on him. Both players did some damage running off him.

I'm also not sure he'd fit well into Ross' system. I think RL would be better off with a smaller FF with a bigger engine. Sort of a Brad Johnson type.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

yep essendon used to play 2 or 3 on plugger and that killed our game.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
SideshowMilne
Club Player

'drinks' too much coke (r/sauce)

JT
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: That shows that the opposition generally doesn't have a huge impact on him, but like most full forwards, he did struggle against the top full backs.

vs Scarlett - 0.2
vs Glass - 1.2
vs Rutten - 2.3
Also worth noting that the best full backs in the comp also have the best midfields helping them out. How often do you think the Carlton midfield was delivering lace out to fev?