Saints are chasing fev (channel 10)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i find it funny how ppl say "he go's missing on a good defender " umm hello thats why they are good defenders !!!! maxy is our best defender and he has towled up many full forwards not cause they are crap but because he is a great defender

fev would be a good inclusion to the team his signing will generate sme new exitment to the club and maybe attract a few more member because as much as people on here hate fev the genral public think hes a gun player so in the end we get a public recognised player in our colours who would be a every other week member of the footy show ect ect generating more publicity for the club ... why were our membership numbers so high in 2005 ?? cause all of 2004 we were talked about on all footy shows why was it down in 2007 cause 2005 we were un heard of same as this year we often didnt even get a mention on the footy shows

signing fev would be a big marketing success for the club

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
vacuous space
SS Life Member

As much as I'd love to upgrade the FF spot, I think Carlton would ask too much for Fev to make it worthwhile. What we need more than a ready made replacement for Gehrig is better delivery into the forward fifty and a greater goalkicking contribution from outside the KPs.

I'd say only make a trade for a FF if there's a bargain out there. Pick up a mature ruckman at the end of the national draft. Let Allen, Brooks and Watts fight it out for the FF spot. If none of them are ready, then put Kosi at FF.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

how long do we wait for brooks ??
havent we waited long enuff ??
as for watts theres no proof hell be any better then Brooks and allen is still a while away so if we are pinning all our hopes on those 3 then i feel we are in some strife

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
JeffDunne

I think it's also worth noting that we were the lowest scoring team in the competition this year and we've just lost our biggest scoring threat..

Beekay
SS Life Member

Xavier Clarke is a very average footballer. On his day, he is a good player, that I don't argue. But he just appears to be a kid with a lot of talent but not much of a football brain.

If I was a Blues fan, I'd be furious at losing Fevola for pick 9 and Xavier Clarke.

As a Sainter, I would be over the moon.

Xavier is skilled, he is fast, but he can't find the ball enough and can't stay on his feet enough. Don't think he will ever be a great onballer. A gutsy, pacey, exciting, half back flanker at best.

A potential 100 goal a year full forward for a player who won't be in our top 10 B&F anytime soon, plus a draft pick, would be ripping Carlton off big time.

I doubt it will happen, but I would not be the slightest bit dissapointed.

Goose on the other hand. Required player for the next 10 years. You won't find many players like Maguire in many a draft.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:if we are pinning all our hopes on those 3 then i feel we are in some strife
If we're pinning all our hopes on the FF position, then we don't have a very good gameplan. Without a dominant FF, we'll probably have Roo playing closer to goal and/or Kosi playing out of the goalsquare. Either way though, we need a more even spread of goals if we're going to compete with the top teams. Geelong had 8 twenty-goal kickers. We had 4. If we spend next year relying on KPPs to kick all our goals, then we won't be going deep into the finals anyway.

roo+hayes=flag
Club Player

Fevola would be nice if he could pull his head in but we need to get players that would really help.
1. Speedy midfielder like kerr/burgoyne
2. Young ruck(high pick)
3. Key deffender

Must keep pick nine but i'm happy to trade 2nd rnd and X and Raph Clarke for any of the above. Sign Maguire on for what ever he wants, we need him. we were 4 and 7 half way and after he came back we only lost 3 matches.

Keep on rolling Harvs
roo+hayes=flag
Club Player

Fevola would be nice if he could pull his head in but we need to get players that would really help.
1. Speedy midfielder like kerr/burgoyne
2. Young ruck(high pick)
3. Key deffender

Must keep pick nine but i'm happy to trade 2nd rnd and X and Raph Clarke for any of the above. Sign Maguire on for what ever he wants, we need him. we were 4 and 7 half way and after he came back we only lost 3 matches.

Keep on rolling Harvs
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

a really, really interesting topic of decision and after just reading 5 pages of pro/anti fev hers my 2 cents.

I would take Fevola in a heartbeat. He has won a coleman medal in a team that would get towelled up by my local side more often than not. Just imagine if he had some decent platers to work with, his attitude and outlook would change dramatucally imo.

As for my proposed trade, pick 9 anf goose is absurd, may have no choic but to give pick 9 up so for me its a straight swap or better still we an give them brooks as well because he is useless.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sorry people I still can't be swayed on why we need to get this bloke...St Kilda since the late 70s has a history of larger than life full forwards, Georgie Young, Jacko, Plugger and the Big G. Unless I've missed something we didn't win a flag in that time. In fact the closest we came was when we had Heater.

I think our forward line will be big enough and potent enough with Roo, Kosi and one of either Brooks, Watts or Allen. What happens if Hamill finds a miracle cure? I do not believe we need to help Carlton out by taking Fevola off their hands and gift them Judd by way of our first draft pick, let alone add icing to this very sour cake by giving them Goose or X or anyone else for that matter.

We need to bolster our midfield for quality rotations, Dal, Joey, Lenny, Ball, Harves and BJ (returning from injury) need some quality quick young legs to give them a chop out. Armitage, Geary, Eddy are a start but we need a couple more.

We also need some bigger harder backs to help Sam, Max and Goose out. This is what we should be concentrating on...a disciplined solid backline is the foundation for a flag, just look at the teams who have played off in Grand Finals since 2000.

FWIW: I rate X, Raph and Gram as our running defenders with X adding to our forward line pressure when needed. Bakes and L. Fisher can concentrate on their tagging. Gilbert the Grape can be our trouble-shooter.

Better off making a play for Mattner, MacGregor, Sherman or Tenace.
Last edited by Ghost Like on Sun 23 Sep 2007 7:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

There is a lot of critism on this forum of the Clarke brothers. I hope there is no racism involved, but it seems odd how the only indigenous players we have cop so much.
Xavier is an in and under player like Luke Ball. That is why they receive so many injuries compared with our outside players, like Dal Santo and Montagna. They should be given credit for the courageous style of their play (Xavier and Luke Ball I am talking about), instead of the crap that I read on this forum.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote: Xavier is an in and under player like Luke Ball.
:shock:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:There is a lot of critism on this forum of the Clarke brothers. I hope there is no racism involved, but it seems odd how the only indigenous players we have cop so much.
Xavier is an in and under player like Luke Ball. That is why they receive so many injuries compared with our outside players, like Dal Santo and Montagna. They should be given credit for the courageous style of their play (Xavier and Luke Ball I am talking about), instead of the crap that I read on this forum.
you are the one being rascist...youve done it every draft as well, "i think we should pick the best aboriginal kid availble with our third round pick..." or something like that - id rather just pick the best kid availble, whether he is a city boy, country boy, aborigine, englishman, irishman or new zealander

rate the boys as footballers not by what their race is :roll: :roll:

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If the Kangaroos can make a prelim with Drew Petrie and Leigh Brown as their only key forwards then we can do it with Riewoldt and Koschitzke.

Look at other finals team's key forwards
Mooney, Ablett - Nothing special
Lynch, Hansen, Staker - Just ok
Tredrea, Westhoff - Ordinary
Franklin, Roughead, Boyle - Good, but inconsistent
Hall, O'Loughlin - Past it
Gill, Bock - Ordinary
Cloke, Rocca - Pretty good

Roo and Kosi s*** all over those combos, and if one of Brooks or Watts can stand up we will still have the best list of tall forwards in the competition.

Brooks came to the club as a ruckman and the coaches have deemed that he is a tall forward. Watts came to the club under dodgy circumstances, but he came as a future full forward. Now that our full forward of the last five years has retired, they finally get their chance. They shouldn't be bagged for not displacing a dual Coleman medallist in their early 20's.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:There is a lot of critism on this forum of the Clarke brothers. I hope there is no racism involved, but it seems odd how the only indigenous players we have cop so much.
Please look at the stats and the game before making comments that X plays like Bally. X is more an outside player than Bally and also Dal. Dal matter of fact had the most hard ball gets this year. It is a myth that Dal is an outside player.

Not even commenting on the other rubbish you wrote.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Xavier is an in and under player like Luke Ball. That is why they receive so many injuries compared with our outside players, like Dal Santo and Montagna.
Ball gets concussed, battered and bruised every week in the clearances. X tears a muscle trying to get out of jogging pace every week. The reason for their injuries are completely different.

I do think that X is a starting 18 player and will improve with time (very much like Fiora), but he isn't and never will be a gun or an inside midfielder. He has pace, skill and creativity (all things we lack as a team), but he doesn't get enough of the ball or have the endurance to really have a big impact.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:If the Kangaroos can make a prelim with Drew Petrie and Leigh Brown as their only key forwards then we can do it with Riewoldt and Koschitzke.

Look at other finals team's key forwards
Mooney, Ablett - Nothing special
Lynch, Hansen, Staker - Just ok
Tredrea, Westhoff - Ordinary
Franklin, Roughead, Boyle - Good, but inconsistent
Hall, O'Loughlin - Past it
Gill, Bock - Ordinary
Cloke, Rocca - Pretty good

Roo and Kosi s*** all over those combos, and if one of Brooks or Watts can stand up we will still have the best list of tall forwards in the competition.

Brooks came to the club as a ruckman and the coaches have deemed that he is a tall forward. Watts came to the club under dodgy circumstances, but he came as a future full forward. Now that our full forward of the last five years has retired, they finally get their chance. They shouldn't be bagged for not displacing a dual Coleman medallist in their early 20's.
Best post you've ever made.

Sydney won a flag with Barry and LRT as their key defenders, and yet people think Maxie, Chips and Gilbo aren't enough.

West Coast won a flag with Lynch and Hansen as their key forwards, and yet people think Rooey and Kosi aren't enough.

Crazy ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

lol a messiah potential 100 goal FF :roll:

more likely arrested for assault, drunk and disorderly or for giving away the 50m penalty that lost a critical game because he had a sook.

probably kick 8 or 9 goals against who ever is the most injury ridden side in the competition in 08 and fold like a house of cards when we need him.

and given he'll be 27 next season i wonder if we'll see 4 seasons out of him? will we even see 50 games given his petulance, potential suspensions and potential gaol sentences for assualt?

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I would take Fev with the right deal.

I don't know whether I would throw up the #9 pick for him but he would come close.

I was quite happy last year to take MG on board with his baggage and as long as nothing adverse comes out (and it hasn't so far) I still maintain he is a worthy risk - looking to 2008.

Fev is the same - he may be a problem child at the moment, but maybe he isn't happy with the house he is living in.

I believe that if the GT "legacy" is strong enough to keep MG on track, and to hold onto loyal players who have taken deals well under what they could have had elsewhere, then the "culture" is strong enough to bring Fev around to our ultimate goal. He is a good guy at heart, just misunderstood I think, and I do like to give a battler a chance.

woooosaints
Club Player

pretty much if fev comes brooks/watts are useless to us

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

They already are!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
lefty
Club Player

woooosaints wrote:pretty much if fev comes brooks/watts are useless to us
Not really, I think watts would be able to help Roo out alot on the HFF, if Ross farkn plays him.

Roo + Watts on the 50 line, kozi/fev ff? Hrmm :)

brewski
Club Player

Why do people here keep offering Kosi as trade-able he is the future of our club and has shown great loyalty, maybe we should re-pay his commitment and get off his tits

Banned by the censors
stinger
Saintsational Legend

brewski wrote:Why do people here keep offering Kosi as trade-able he is the future of our club and has shown great loyalty, maybe we should re-pay his commitment and get off his tits

because a lot of pple on here are really flower-wits when it comes to football nous.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

brewski wrote:Why do people here keep offering Kosi as trade-able he is the future of our club and has shown great loyalty, maybe we should re-pay his commitment and get off his tits
X 1000 ,quoted for truth, jeezus.