Saints are chasing fev (channel 10)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Crikey! Even I'm insulted by that suggestion! Jones and a 2nd round pick? :shock:

Carlton would rightly laugh their heads off at that. They've already got enough fringe midfielders who can't hit a target by foot.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:I would love Feeevvvvvolllllllaaaaaaa at St.Kilda, would love to be confident in at least 1 of our forwards kicking at better than a 50% strike rate.
Don't know where this myth comes from. Fevola has never had a good accuracy %.

This year it was 59% (the second lowest of the top 10 goalkickers and also lower than Riewoldt's).

In 2006 it was 61.8% (also the second lowest of the top 10).

He was a bit better back in 2005 with 66.2%, but he only kicked 49 goals that year.

In 2004 it was more of the same. 61.7% and the third lowest % of the top 10 goalkickers.

You want a 65% stike rate at the bare minimum from a decent FF.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

This is a disgrace. Chasing Fevola?

This guy is scum epitomised. He is an undisciplined lara bingle banging numbnut.

If we recruit him we're going to the bottom of the ladder. He is the new Everitt.

Zippy
Club Player

Maybe we could organise some sort of package deal to get Fevola, Everitt and Cousins down here. that'd make for a really fun team.

Seriously, not happy if we give up anything valuable for a headcase like Fevola.

Maguire is more valuable to the side than Fevola would be.

Watts was recruited as the G-Trains replacement, so why panic now?

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:The flipside is a 100-goal a year FF at the Saints ...

If you have enough faith in the culture that GT created then we should be able to withstand whatever Fev brings.

Lyon is not the sort of bloke to cop s*** either.

BTW, I was talking to someone who knows Gardiner today, and they said he had been an absolute saint since he had been with us (no pun intended). Said he was really focussed and stable ...

I would care if he kicks 300 goals.

I WONT be buying membership if we gte this absolute filth of a bloke to the club.

And whos memtioningpick 9.....The bloke is not CHOOSING to leave carlton....he having troubles....hence a much lower bargining price.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

I wish some people would have a logical think about this scenario.......

We have just had a 60 - 80 goals a year player retire who is going to be hard to replace.

Does anybody realistically think Watts or Kosi can cover Gehrig's loss? I mean seriously......? Watts would be lucky to play more than 12 games next year. The QE 2 turns quicker than him for god's sake!

And what if Gardiner has more injury concerns next year? Kosi will more than likely have to fill in and ruck if this happens, so I couldn't see him plonked in the square for the majority of games.

You have to replace a QUALITY goalkicker with another QUALITY goalkicker.

I say yes to Fevola. He is a quality full-forward. I don't give a stuff about his off-field exploits.

Gardiner has apparently turned his shyte around..... why can't Fevola?

And FWIW I am sick of the use of the word "cancer" being bandied around this joint.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Just posting stating i'm in the "Pro-Fev" camp, and agree with everything TTSF said just above me.

Should we not get Fev, I don't believe that Watts will figure in our forward line structure, other than for "testing" purposes.

Ideally a group of small/mids with Kosi/Brooks/Gardiner rotating through there, two at a time.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

TimeToShineFellas wrote: And FWIW I am sick of the use of the word "cancer" being bandied around this joint.
Spot on there, the people saying it wouldnt say it if they had a close relo or friend die from it.

Before Im 85
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote: And FWIW I am sick of the use of the word "cancer" being bandied around this joint.
Spot on there, the people saying it wouldnt say it if they had a close relo or friend die from it.
I have, and and will continue to use it. It's a good descriptive term. It should in no way be thought of as derogatory to someone WITH cancer, as i'd expect they would hold it in contempt too!

Saints43
Club Player

TimeToShineFellas wrote:I wish some people would have a logical think about this scenario.......

We have just had a 60 - 80 goals a year player retire who is going to be hard to replace.
Correct. BF is a gun. Pick 9 is a nobody.

I think people would be amazed to see what winning every now and then might do for a (hard working) player's attitude.

A better pickup than Judd.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Would love to see Fevola at the Saints .......I believe he could consistantly kick more goals than Gherig did...
Watts - Untried and could be a dud ....Has shown nothing so far ..
Kosi - Would he be as consistant as Fev at FF ...? Plus Kosi can be just as important in other positions ...

Ashjam,if you are reading this how about a pic of Fev as a Saint similar to the one you did of Judd ....

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

is fev constant? lol most of his goals came from slaughtering bottom 8 sides.

consistant, biggest lie out, he chokes against anyone with a decent defender on him, a criticism of gehrig at the END of his career, and fevola is supposed to be at his peak, so thats one lie put to rest.

accurate? well we've just seen MSG the whole accuracy thing is bollux too, slotting in about 3 out of 5 shots on goal...when he does get a shot on goal that is...

add to that discipline problems on field, (when the going gets tough or the game is on the balance you can be certain fev will give away a 50, and its not like is a 19 year old rookie he is 26)

and then there are the off field altercations, at least in FGs case he was drawn into the fights, fevola goes and starts them.

hes trouble off the field and trouble on the field, thats when he's not choking on pressure shots. :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Dan Warna - Its obvious you are not Fevolas biggest fan ....
The Saints recruiting board however will not pay any attention to your concerns and if they do recruit Fev will you embrace him as one of the Saints family .... :?:

Cirra
Club Player

I think Fev is a mini-Gehrig.

Both don't/didn't play really well agains a quality backman.
Kick most of their goals on bottom 8 sides.
Get distracted on the field.
Opposition supportes hate them because they seem like thugs.
Larger than life characters that make the game entertaining.
Also, when on-song and mind on the job, completly unbeatable.
Both a good kick for goal and an excellent mark.

All in all I'd say we would be getting exactly what we lost.

Not sure if that's a good thing or not! :?:

"When we get back on November 5 and walk through that door, we're getting on a bus together and we're going down the road to a premiership. You're either on the bus or you get run over," Roo at the B&F 2007

In 2012, I'm still on the bus.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:Dan Warna - Its obvious you are not Fevolas biggest fan ....
The Saints recruiting board however will not pay any attention to your concerns and if they do recruit Fev will you embrace him as one of the Saints family .... :?:
i dont have to like him, and I'll buy my membership regardless of whether fevola is beating up barmen, giving away stupid 50meter penalties, argueing with the umpire, lying on the ground sooking for a free kick instead of chasing his man, in st kilda colours or in carlton colours.

there have been plenty of folks in teh saints jumper I'll never respect, tony delany, tony francis, damian monkhorst among them.

SHUT UP KRIME!
TheBabyBlues
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:is fev constant? lol most of his goals came from slaughtering bottom 8 sides.

consistant, biggest lie out, he chokes against anyone with a decent defender on him, a criticism of gehrig at the END of his career, and fevola is supposed to be at his peak, so thats one lie put to rest.

accurate? well we've just seen MSG the whole accuracy thing is bollux too, slotting in about 3 out of 5 shots on goal...when he does get a shot on goal that is...

add to that discipline problems on field, (when the going gets tough or the game is on the balance you can be certain fev will give away a 50, and its not like is a 19 year old rookie he is 26)

and then there are the off field altercations, at least in FGs case he was drawn into the fights, fevola goes and starts them.

hes trouble off the field and trouble on the field, thats when he's not choking on pressure shots. :roll:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but where you come up with some of yours i have no idea. Its certainly not from watching the fevola i know.

Choking on pressure shots?? Given that fev is played in a team where we get thumped every week we hardly are in a position that he gets pressure shots....but to point out a couple of obvious example where this is not true.

That puts an end to that theory!

Struggles against decent opposition? Obviously you don't rate either of Dustin Fletcher or Mal Michael. Fev beat both of them...at the same time(!) repeatedly in round 3 earlier this year. BTW, he single handedly won us that game. Oh yeah and after missing the first 2 shots on goal he came back to kick 8 goals straight in the last 60-odd minutes of football. Perhaps some more of those 'pressure shots' that he chokes on where in there too? :roll:

Sure fev has had difficult games against Scarlett (and his 5 mates dropping back onto fev) and Glass on occasions, but who the hell hasn't struggled against them. They are named AA for a reason. As for consistent, he averaged over 3 goals a game this year and thats with playing injured (and in a shite side) so i dont know how much more consistent you want him to be.

Off-field..
Sure he has his issues there, but no more than what your previous FF had. To love one and not the other comes down to simply the jumper they are wearing.

As for accuracy. I've already stated that fev kicks more from outside 50 than any other forward in the game and thats why his numbers are brought down. If my life was on the line, I would rather have fev kicking for goal than any player in the comp.

Anyway, as i said, have an opinion...but it helps if its based on fact, not blind hatred.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

the thing is, of all the holes in our list... the forward line is the absolute least of our worries... we still have Riewoldt and Kosi and say Kosi is needed in the ruck, we currently have 2 potential replacements in Watts and Brooks who can be given a crack and some like Ferguson who can pinch hit.

The problems in our midfield should be the priority... we need 2-3 solid midfielders to come into this team in order to allow us to compete with the big boys.
We also need a key backman to start developing to replace Max or ease the load on him AND we need to draft one new ruck prospect and possibly recruit another stop gap if Gardiner doesn't come up... THESE ARE PRIORITIES

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Carlton are dreaming if they think any sane club would offer Pick 9 and their CHB for Fevola...nice try! Would mean they get Judd and Maguire for two first round picks and rid themselves of a player that would worry sponsors. We would lose a first rounder, a CHB and pick up a hot and cold FF and then try to explain our image / product to much needed potential new sponsors.

Fix our rucks, add pace to our list and get another quality big backman, whether a kid or an established player i.e. MacGregor (I know he's not recognised as a back but he could fill a hole if needed should Goose not sign and switch ends if needed)

If Goose leaves, get a first round pick and a player for him...maybe the Crows for Pick 10 and Mattner or MacGregor. Kepp pick 9!!!

Please leave this Fevola thing alone, what is being bandied about means only Carlscum and the Eagles will win in this exchange.

sainter#4
Club Player

whats with the big emphasis on pace?
in the last 11 games we didnt look slow
the problem was finishing off games!!!
if we keep maguire somehow get fev an haselby
i think we should be in good steadd for 2008
for 3 quaters of the game we were with geelong when we played them
alittle bit more fitness an we can match them boys

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Fev is by the best true FF in the AFl and cannot beleive people do not want him because of his attitude. As people have said what about Gardiner before we got him.

Short term memory lapses I would think. As lond as we do not give more than pick 9 and a good player like X who never plays many consecutive games we should go for it.

Forget this rubbish he is a cancer . Players dont think like supportors they just want the players who can give a flag. They have no reason to worry about past problems.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

neither geelong or Port have a dedicated FF, nor did WCE, or sydney.

some may argue that lynch was as much a decoy FF as an actual FF and didn't really contribute more than 50 to 60 goals in teams raining goals.

the big Q unit isn't a great footballer, he contributes his goals but its the running half forwards who do the damage.

IMO we would have been better parking FG in an arc of about 30 metres from goals and letting the opposition deal with him.

however that probably wouldn't fit in with our new game plan where FG got 50% of his possessions outside the 50m arc.

I wonder how F.ebola would go with the lyon game plan where he would be required to run and run hard.

f.ebola is a powerful player, but not sure he has the endurance to run all day, nor does he have the discipline as we've seen on field, to do it every game or even most games of the year.

as for gardiner, well 2007 was a write off, lets see how he goes when he actually playes in 08

agains as for pace, skill > pace.

SHUT UP KRIME!
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 11:27am, edited 1 time in total.

woooosaints
Club Player

fevolas a star would love him at our club for maguire+2nd rounder only if maguire doesnt sign

JeffDunne

skeptic wrote:the thing is, of all the holes in our list... the forward line is the absolute least of our worries...
Personnel wise I agree, but I think our forward setup has been a big part of our problems.

In many games we lost this year (& last) we had more F50 entires than the opposition. Out forward effenciency needs to improve if we are to improve as a team.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:is fev constant? lol most of his goals came from slaughtering bottom 8 sides.

Finially some sense. Top and ACCURATE post.

hat are all these day dreamers thinking/. Ha Fev coming down to St Kilda and kicking 60 goals.

Our first worry would be making sure he get out on the park and not demoted to Casey for disiplinary reasons.

The bloke is a joke.