Benchmark for 08?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Benchmark for 08?

in 07 the excuses were:

injuries : fair enough we were ravaged in the early part of the season, but I believe we had sufficient talent available to win games we lost

learning the new gameplan : the gameplan has been described variously as a marginal change on what we did previously, a new game plan, sydneys game plan, sydneys game plan worked into our former game plan etc, but the reality is whatever gameplan we were using we failed to execute it. there maybe some merit in this theory

our team list is overrated well we did win 11 1/2 games and were competitive in most of the other games, we did lose a fair few games we should have won. I refute this option, I dont think our list is overrated. I would argue we could do with another tall defender, a quality ruckman and a dean greig/powell/keogh midfielder as 3 player types we significantly miss (I think the pace thing is handy but overvalued), even dispite this we proved that we had sufficient talent to bludgeon sides down and when we clicked pound top sides. so I refute this, IMO we have a top 4 list maybe better in 07

lack of fitness strong argument for this given our lack of ability to run out in the 4th quarter. Some argue its the previous management, some argue its the current management some argue its the return from injury, whichever it must be fixed on 08

Quality of the coachingthis will be and has been argued endlessly. IMO question marks over all positions on the coaching panel but will be given 08 again.

quality of the game plan
some argue the gameplan was consistent during the year, others argue it changed during the year, some argue it was the implimentation, others argue we didn't have a game plan, whatever the reason, liek the coaching 08 should give us a better view.

GT effectI dont think there was anything in this, the players purportedly under the influence of GT (reiwoldt, baker, V2, etc) put in as well as can be expected either in the seniors or the reserves, i dont think anyone can argue those close to GT diminished in on field form.

RB effectsame, i dont think the players cared.

with most of our 1st 22 re-signed for 08 IMO we shouldn't have any excuses for a non top 4 finish if we get a fair run with injuries.

players of the ilk of reiwoldt, kosi, maguire (assuming), goddard, hayes, ball, montagna, dal santo, l & S fisher, max, harvey, baker (assuming) etc form a top 10 to 15 players with some exciting players under 23 stepping up, a few new recruits, and possible trades.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
BakesFan
SS Life Member

we should exile the "Believe or burn" garbage and start next season with...

"2008. NO EXCUSES!!"

That should apply to players, coaches, the board (whomever they may be), and we the fans.

I'm sick of playing second fiddle to Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton.
I want to see 40,000 members (at least!) next season.
I want to see the players get some mongrel about them. Hard at the footy!
I want a board that will stand up to the AFL.
I want to see the Telstra Dome become our "Cauldron".

GO SAINTERS!!!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:we should exile the "Believe or burn" garbage and start next season with...

"2008. NO EXCUSES!!"

That should apply to players, coaches, the board (whomever they may be), and we the fans.

GO SAINTERS!!!
i love the sentiment but what will the club to get the 40k members ??
imo the club had the right idea with the direct depit option for the membership makes it easier for lower incomes to join as members
where i think we fell down this year was sending out tins to ppl b4 they became members

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The FF Board to deliver on what they have implied will be delivered:

* More Members
*More Sponsors
*More saitisfied sponosrs
*Significant lift in revenue
*Increase in spend to be more than offset by increased revenue
*More member benefits (though I have less phased by this as I manily want increased fotball success...still FF have promised to deliver on this....)
*Better servicing of Country and Intertstate Members.....and though not mentioned I assume International Members
*Letting Ross run the football department by SUPPORTING him....rather than the Football Committee trying to run it
*a much better supported Recuiting Department (though to be fair you will not geta handle on this till next years draft)
*much improved player facilities
*within 6 months forms plans announced for the Elite Training Centre

and an AMAZING send off for Banger.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 21 Sep 2007 7:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

again thats easy for them to say they will deliver that but i spose the proof will be in the pudd as they say
if they do get elected in and nothing changes and they fail to deliver on these promises i for one will be expecting heads to roll

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
The Jeff
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:*Letting Roos run the football department by SUPPORTING him....rather than the Football Committe tring to run it
Freudian Slip in relation to our game plan? :oops:

FQF
Zippy
Club Player

Now that we've had a year to learn the new playing style, we're a top 4 team. No excuses.

Even injuries aren't that great an excuse: In 04/05 we made the top 4 despite serious injury concerns, and in 06 we only missed out on the top 4 via the sirengate fiasco.

Our list is strong, and we should be up there.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Because Ross' gameplan is automatically a premiership winning plan?

It's just a matter of fitness and lack of injuries?

Not so sure about that. Seems quite stupid to believe that.

Our list has serious flaws and if they aren't addressed we're going to be bottom 4. No players in the all Australian. Ding dong ding dong ding dong

"omg the all australian vote is corrupt"

Ding dong...

noreason41
Club Player

brown-coat wrote:Because Ross' gameplan is automatically a premiership winning plan?

It's just a matter of fitness and lack of injuries?

Not so sure about that. Seems quite stupid to believe that.
Agree with you on that. Our list has a few missing key positions that unless addressed could be costly for the future.
brown-coat wrote:Our list has serious flaws and if they aren't addressed we're going to be bottom 4. No players in the all Australian. Ding dong ding dong ding dong

"omg the all australian vote is corrupt"

Ding dong...
Disagree, Collingwood had no players in the All Australian, and frankly, look where they got.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Being a realist, the preseason hasn't even started yet. Hell, the season itself hasn't finished yet! We will no doubt see what Ross is doing with the playing group over the preseason with the countless training reports on this site.

There is to be a new board in place, and possibly new assistant coaches, not to mention recruits and trades, although I hope we are not involved in trade week AT ALL, unless it involves trading hacks for 3rd round or better draft picks.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:we should exile the "Believe or burn" garbage and start next season with...

"2008. NO EXCUSES!!"

GO SAINTERS!!!
Can I put those dotpoints in my sig?

That's precisely what this club needs. Ambition and drive.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:"2008. NO EXCUSES!!"
I'd buy that bumper sticker.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

"2008. NO EXCUSES!!"

GO SAINTERS!!!
the dome is already our cauldron however i would prefer if we palyed the majority of our home games at the mcg

we will always be second fiddle to the big 4 unless we sort out or facility situation and develop an identifiable groups of players that represent our brand and are comitted to it

we won't have 40,000 members...next

the mongrel at the footy issue comes naturally...some are more so than others...remember it takes a massive amount of courage to step out and play afl with the big boys

there is no conspiracy against us...therefore why would we need a board to stand up to the afl...im guessing you are referring to baker...he got hard done by however we win some and loose some - what people fail to see is that the next time he even got reported and found guilty he was going away for a month plus

2008 looms as a pivotal year for us at the st kfc both on and off the field

however i for one am looking forward to seeing the boys with a full pre-season under their belts in ross the boss's regime...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
aussiejones
Club Player

"I want to see the players get some mongrel about them. Hard at the footy! "

Get back to the intensity of 2005

Last nights game showed what intensity at the ball can do.....
I am no fan of Collingwood but they gave Girlong a real run for their money..... could have won

barneyboyz
Club Player

aussiejones wrote:"I want to see the players get some mongrel about them. Hard at the footy! "

Get back to the intensity of 2005

Last nights game showed what intensity at the ball can do.....
I am no fan of Collingwood but they gave Girlong a real run for their money..... could have won
I have said it before and will say it again; losing Black & getting rid of Guerra saw us get very soft very quick, especially as Sammy Hamil has not been able to get out there. we could do with a dose of J. Brown at the club, some intimidation, that's what we had in "04" get us some of that for next year and look out!

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: I have said it before and will say it again; losing Black & getting rid of Guerra saw us get very soft very quick, especially as Sammy Hamil has not been able to get out there. we could do with a dose of J. Brown at the club, some intimidation, that's what we had in "04" get us some of that for next year and look out!
guerra was an idiot at st kilda, he is a good player now, but when he was with us, he was predictable, most players would spin out of his bumps.

he didnt' learn to tackle IMO and didn't follow coaching, he said as much.

powell was a much bigger loss.

powell was a hard player and a smart player, knew when to line a player up, when to hip and shoulder and when to tackle, heck he even knew when to do a professional free kick.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote: the dome is already our cauldron however i would prefer if we played the majority of our home games at the mcg
Tesltra Dome is a long way from being a cauldron. The day we get consistent Home crowds of 45,000 Saints vs 10,000 Opposition is the day it becomes a cauldron
we will always be second fiddle to the big 4 unless we sort out or facility situation and develop an identifiable groups of players that represent our brand and are comitted to it
We will always be second fiddle to the 'big 4' until we decide to change our midset. We must demand better of our board, coaches, players and even supporters.

we won't have 40,000 members...next
Why not? There are lots of St Kilda fans out there who aren't members. We need to find a way to get them to commit.
the mongrel at the footy issue comes naturally...some are more so than others...remember it takes a massive amount of courage to step out and play afl with the big boys
Again, a mindset issue. No compromises, no excuses. Go hard or go home! If you pull on a Saints guernsey you have to do what's expected.

there is no conspiracy against us...therefore why would we need a board to stand up to the afl...im guessing you are referring to baker...he got hard done by however we win some and loose some - what people fail to see is that the next time he even got reported and found guilty he was going away for a month plus
We're 100% penalty rate at the MRP/Tribunal over the past few seasons. "Sirengate", "whispers in the sky", the Baker fiasco, etc. The 'big 4' or the 'interstaters' wouldn't have meekly accepted the garbage the AFL has thrown our way.
2008 looms as a pivotal year for us at the st kfc both on and off the field
however i for one am looking forward to seeing the boys with a full pre-season under their belts in ross the boss's regime...
I agree! Go Saints!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

"2008. NO EXCUSES!!"

GO SAINTERS!!!
Totally agree, great slogan! Can you add "NO PRISONERS" to it?

GrumpyOne

Otiman wrote:
BakesFan wrote:"2008. NO EXCUSES!!"
I'd buy that bumper sticker.
Me too! Best slogan by far.