Saints to move haloes for a new star - The Australian

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints94
SS Life Member

claystreet wrote:wouldnt Sammies payments still be part of TPP for 08
even if he declared himself out?
I hope NOT!

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

homework wrote:If Hamill knows and doctors tell him he cant go on before the trade period or his body is showing signs of it retire sammy then we can afford judd :idea:
HAMMIL'S SALARY WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE SALARY CAP FOR 2008 REGARDLESS OF HIM RETIRING OR NOT!!!!

so many people continue to suggest that he retires, yet these same people refuse to look at the facts..Hamill may free up a ist spot, but not room i the cap.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
claystreet
Club Player

HAMMIL'S SALARY WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE SALARY CAP FOR 2008 REGARDLESS OF HIM RETIRING OR NOT!!!!

so many people continue to suggest that he retires, yet these same people refuse to look at the facts..Hamill may free up a ist spot, but not room i the cap.
thought so unless they had changed the rules again

Saints94
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:
homework wrote:If Hamill knows and doctors tell him he cant go on before the trade period or his body is showing signs of it retire sammy then we can afford judd :idea:

thank-you thats all i wanted to know :D

Brewer
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:I am not saying your wrong brewer but who at collingwood do you think has trade value and is disposable?
I may well be wrong, I'm no expert so I'm really working from a gut feel.

I would have thought that most of their list fitted that description. They have a lot of young guns that are performing really well (they are still playing half way through September after all).

It seems to me that Collingwood have built a machine down there that is able to take GOPs and polish them up into quite impressive players. I don't know who they've got in the wings waiting for a run, but I would think the idea of Judd would persuade them to back themselves and trust that their machine can churn out the required replacements.
Last edited by Brewer on Tue 18 Sep 2007 2:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
clobba
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Umm..how long has Judd been Superman and Batman all rolled into one???

WCE are gonna play hard ball..really hard ball. that means MINIMUM two top 10 picks and a decent player

So..we have to A: Lose a decent player and B: Trade another VERY decent player to get a pick better than 9 to offer them and lose our first round pick

So..tha means.we lose a Maguire-level player PLUS a Montagna-level player PLUS Pick 9 ...to get a bloke whose injury is under a cloud, will have major surgery and virtually no pre-season. PLUS imagine the salary re-jigging we'd need to get him under the Cap!

We arent Carlton, we arent Richmond..we dont need to build our 2008 season around one player. FFS Carlton want to offer him the captaincy..how do ya reckon THAT will affect morale down there??

I for one will be very annoyed if we throw all our eggs in one basket and offload blokes who have been loyal to this Club to get a player who I get a sneaky feeling might have played his best (albeit awesomely good) football already.
A very compeling summary and I fully agree

GrumpyOne

homework wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:

How many farking times do we have to spell it out on this forum. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Aaron's salary will be included in the salary cap in 2008, regardless of when he retires or not.

Must be the 20th time I have seen it posted.

FFS get a grip guys.

Worst case of mass short tem memory loss ever.

Saints94
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:
homework wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:

How many farking times do we have to spell it out on this forum. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Aaron's salary will be included in the salary cap in 2008, regardless of when he retires or not.

Must be the 20th time I have seen it posted.

FFS get a grip guys.

Worst case of mass short tem memory loss ever.
I didn't know that

bob__71
Club Player

Here are two ideas....what if Judd wants to come to StKilda because of the maturity and professionalism of the playing group which has been worked on so hard during the GT years....

And we offer Hammer a new five year contract with next years salary spread over five year...with a extra hundred thou for being a good sport

maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
bigred wrote:
Would be gutted if Maguire's name even came up...He's just too important.
Absolutely.

I'm amazed how short people's memories are.
Well I am in the short memory class.

I would swap pick 9 and either Goose or Montagna for Judd in a heartbeat.

Especially given that Ball and Judd could share a doctor and hospital room medical costs won't be that high :lol:

To the top
SS Life Member

What is not mentioned with Hamill is that his contract amount is freed up in 2009 - and onwards.

So you "back end" any contracts to take account of this money becoming "free".

This may already have been done to keep Roo, Kosi and the like.

You can not simply look at a player such as Hamill coming out of contract, retiring and the money he was on becoming "free" money for someone like Judd to join the club.

TPP's are a revolving door.

Where Judd actually prefers to go will also be of interest, in that it is he and his manager who are speaking with clubs.

Judd has a bargaining position with WCE as well - because he is out of contract.

So the initial effort should be to convince Judd to continue his career at St Kilda.

IF he makes an announcement that St Kilda is his preferred club, then the negotiations start.

And if WCE do not play, there is always the PSD and a one-year contract somewhere (eg Buckley at Brisbane).

So WCE are compromised also.

It will revolve around Judd and his decision as to where he wants to go.

If it is Collingwood, and WCE do not want him to go to Collingwood, then WCE can force him into the PSD - and get nothing for him (eg Stevens attempt to get to Collingwood from Port Adelaide).

It would be nice if our 150 games plus players Baker and Milne had some currency with other clubs and could attract a relatively high draft pick.

But, alas, they have no currency.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

its a load of fluff
of course kens going to say we are chasing him hard its his job to say that to keep the members happy and that glimer of hope something miraculous will happen and judd will come here . but in tthe real world i think our staff realise we are way out of the race to get him but with a board challange membership down and in all honesty a pretty dismal year by the side the team have to bee seen to be at least trying for his services .
the one thing it does mean is that with judd being on the trade table suddenly every other player on the tables value is lessened so maybe there might be something to at least look at from our point of veiw

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SaintWodonga
Club Player

The real question is, does he really want to come here?

Pros: Team that has under performed.
Good group of players in his age group
part of history in our next flag
Mum goes for the Saints
Mates with Ball
Have pick in top 10 + can trade for lower picks
Has contection with RB

Cons: Board goings on
Telstra dome (too hard)
Not as strong as Carlton in picks
Our culture

Any more??
Last edited by SaintWodonga on Tue 18 Sep 2007 3:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:What is not mentioned with Hamill is that his contract amount is freed up in 2009 - and onwards.

Brilliant point.

We need to move heaven and earth for Judd, and that's all that needs to be said.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

see signature :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Chris Judd post round 14

Round 15 - 11 disposals
Round 16 - 21 disposals
Round 17 - 20 disposals
Round 18 - 14 disposals
Round 19 - 11 disposals
Round 21 - 10 disposals
Qualifying Final - 12 disposals

Are they really the stats we would expect from a player who we seem to be willing to trade a gun midfielder (Montagna/Goddard), our only decent option for CHB and one of the few players we have with both pace and skill (X.Clarke) for?

If not for Judd's injury troubles I would hope that the club does move heaven and earth to try and get him. However he now has a bad case of OP. Luke Ball went from being an All-Australian and Best and Fairest winner in 2005 to being a GOP who can't kick or run out a full season in 2007. Judd has the same injury and seems to be having even more trouble with it than Ball.

2 key players and pick 9 for a guy who winces every time he kicks and has to come off if he changes direction quickly? No thanks.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
To the top wrote:What is not mentioned with Hamill is that his contract amount is freed up in 2009 - and onwards.

Brilliant point.

We need to move heaven and earth for Judd, and that's all that needs to be said.
he is only one player we did pretty good in 2004 and 2005 without judd so hes not the be all and end all
he is a great player no doubt but in all honestly he is only one player there is only soo much he can do
it will be interesting to see how he would go at somewhre like Carlton to see how good judd is when he hasnt got cox tapping it on his chest and cousins kerr embley stengline ect putting blocks on his hard tags in stead he will have ackland jumping 2mins b4 the ball is bounced and the carlton midfeild too busy trying to look busy to help him out in the centre
i think next year will be interesting

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Falchoon
Club Player

Persuader wrote:We already have a star midfielder with a dodgy groin. One is enough.

whilst we're soothsaying Matt Maguire? will he return to 100% will he? Xavier Clarke to play more than 10 quality games in a season? 3?

Not picking on your post but I don't get why anyone would not be willing to trade for Judd, we have one and only one player who is of comparable quality in Riewoldt, and maybe Dal Santo and Ball who have the ability but not yet the results.

If someone came to me and said Clarke, Montagna and Pick 9 for Judd, I'd say yes please before they changed their mind.

Maguire I'd think twice about, because his loss would affect structure but why is it anymore certain he'll be better coming back from injury than Judd. He certainly wasn't his old self late this season, where are the guarantees.

Montagna is a decent player yes, but has he proven he can destroy taggers? or has he looked good coming off a wing to finish off Hayes' and Balls good work?

The key to getting a good price is Judd nominating us and telling Wet Toast it's the Saints or pre season draft. On the open market a price of Montagna, Clarke and 9 may go close.

I'd do it.

I wouldn't dismiss a Maguire/Montagna/9 out of hand either

matty
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:5th pick for pettifer?!? your joking right :shock:
not the 5th pick :), 5th round pick.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

matty wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:5th pick for pettifer?!? your joking right :shock:
not the 5th pick :), 5th round pick.
i know what you mean...pathetic, as if the tigers would take that

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
sackers5
Club Player

maverick wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
bigred wrote:
Would be gutted if Maguire's name even came up...He's just too important.
Absolutely.

I'm amazed how short people's memories are.
Well I am in the short memory class.

I would swap pick 9 and either Goose or Montagna for Judd in a heartbeat.

Especially given that Ball and Judd could share a doctor and hospital room medical costs won't be that high :lol:

Who would you propose be our KP backs next year? As much as I love Max he has a maximum of 2 seasons left in him and going by his soft tissue record this year there is no guarantee with him going forward. Sam Fisher would be a good KP back, but we would lose so much run out of defence it would be robbing Peter to pay Paul - He will be all australian next year if he can play as the 3rd defender. AND THAT IS IT. Goose is an absolutely vital cog in our team, who we cant afford to lose. I cant believe people are honestly saying that he is expendible.

Not too mention that i don't think his end of season form was that bad. The game that sticks in memory was the West Coast game when Lynch had a flyer - Goose held hos own in the air, it was on the ground was Lynch towelled him up and honestly no full back would have been able to compete with him that night.

Also, if I hear one more time about this Alex Rance kid playing KP back for us next year I will absolutely puke. Firstly, there is a 1/however many kids apply for the draft chance that he will even be at the club next year. And even if he is, how many 1st year players have you seen come in and hold down CHB or FB. (People may say Goldsack - but he is an aberation because he is already 21, big difference from an 18yr old kid)

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Kosi win the Rising Star playing at CHB in his first year?

Didn't Roo win the Rising Star in his second year (spent most of his first out with injury) playing CHB?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I don't care about messiahs or saviours, I just want to fill in the gaps to put us in a position to win a flag.

He won't save us on his own, but having him can in our team...eugh...can't even be bothered to explain it.

You'd be naive not to want him. Enough said.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I don't care about messiahs or saviours, I just want to fill in the gaps to put us in a position to win a flag.

He won't save us on his own, but having him can in our team...eugh...can't even be bothered to explain it.

Most have been saying we need to add pace to the midfield.

Well, there you go.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I don't care about messiahs or saviours, I just want to fill in the gaps to put us in a position to win a flag.

i agree it would be a great thing to have him but in all honesty lets not pin all our hopes on getting him when realistcally we are very long shots at it