Greg Westaway

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bungiton
SS Life Member

Greg Westaway

I posted this in the messiah thread but thought it worthy of it's own thread

I'm sick of all the BS on this subject.

Every thread is full of half truths and innuendo.

Yesterday I rang and spoke to Greg Westaway. To me he is an up-front, honest and sincere type of bloke.

I contacted him to ask if with all the shite being posted here, along with valid criticims, I asked if he could register and talk to us here tonight, to which he immediately agreed.

Sadly he contatcted me later to apologise that because this was a public and unofficial forum, he was instructed to renege on the deal he made with me.

During our conversation I asked questions pertinent to the major attacks his detractors are posting on here.

We spoke regarding the issue of Burkie being the public face of the SFF campaign, He informed me that Burkie was sick to the guts in his period as a player and member of the coaching staff, regarding the facilities and services available for players. The playing group had nowhere near the resources needed to be competitive in this competition. Also Greg is a very private individual who highly values his privacy, He is sacrificing a lot to lead this ticket. A man who values obscurity to give his privacy up to run for a fanciful ticket for his own worth, I think not.

I spoke of the concerns raised by Joffaboy about how they were going to start a flood of unfunded spending. This is one area the new ticket are certainly not going to go blindly or spend just for the sake of spending.

They do have detailed plans for where monies will be spent as well as detailed plans for increasing memberships, sponsorship and revenue. A number of groups are willing to back this ticket with sponsorship on the proviso they are elected. It's interesting that these parties are not approaching the current board, seems sponsorship money is there on the proviso the current board aren't the ones managing it.

I spoke at length to Greg, found him to be very approachable, very dedicated to the saints and not the fiend he is being portrayed by the media or sections of this board. I get the impression he would rather not be doing this, after all he stressed a few times during our conversation how much he values his privacy, he's gotten to the point a lot of people had arrived at long before the challenge appeared, being that the current board was fractured, stagnating and innefective, with little vision for the future and that change was neccessary for this club to go forward.

If you get the opportunity, hat to the man, you'll realise his ambition is for the club, the people assembled for this challenge are dedicated proffessionals hoping to raise this club further than the pathetic infighting and rubbish it was presented with this year.

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Greg Westaway

bungiton wrote:I get the impression he would rather not be doing this, after all he stressed a few times during our conversation how much he values his privacy, he's gotten to the point a lot of people had arrived at long before the challenge appeared, being that the current board was fractured, stagnating and innefective, with little vision for the future and that change was neccessary for this club to go forward.
'Rather not be doing it', as in not in for the long haul?

Or 'rather not be doing it', as in sad that it's come to this?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:They do have detailed plans for where monies will be spent as well as detailed plans for increasing memberships, sponsorship and revenue. A number of groups are willing to back this ticket with sponsorship on the proviso they are elected. It's interesting that these parties are not approaching the current board, seems sponsorship money is there on the proviso the current board aren't the ones managing it.
If true, this is the nail in the coffin of Butterss and friends.

bungiton
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
bungiton wrote:I get the impression he would rather not be doing this, after all he stressed a few times during our conversation how much he values his privacy, he's gotten to the point a lot of people had arrived at long before the challenge appeared, being that the current board was fractured, stagnating and innefective, with little vision for the future and that change was neccessary for this club to go forward.
'Rather not be doing it', as in not in for the long haul?

Or 'rather not be doing it', as in sad that it's come to this?
As in rather not be doing this as in sad that the current board have had the wheels fall off and stuck on the side of the road whilst other clubs whisk past us. He is very dedicated to the long haul.

As I said the one aspect of his life he really values is his privacy and being out of the spotlight,, he is giving that away to put the club first, he could have remained just an obsure business man, living in anonimity going with the status quo and letting this board just continue to go nowhere, and continue using the club as a bone for Thomas and Butters to fight over, well this club is my bone and neither of those two deserve to get their fangs on it!

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
bungiton wrote:They do have detailed plans for where monies will be spent as well as detailed plans for increasing memberships, sponsorship and revenue. A number of groups are willing to back this ticket with sponsorship on the proviso they are elected. It's interesting that these parties are not approaching the current board, seems sponsorship money is there on the proviso the current board aren't the ones managing it.
If true, this is the nail in the coffin of Butterss and friends.
Good to hear...very good in fact.

There were a number posting that they did not have to have plans...and would not create any till AFTER they were voted for.....which is no way to run a business or a footy club....nor even a campaign to get elected.

This is what I seek...a well researched and organised approach to running the Saiints......with discipline to then put it in place.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 17 Sep 2007 10:42am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
chook23
Saintsational Legend

North have very poor facilities

Adelaide don't.

It is just not all about the facilities.

"We spoke regarding the issue of Burkie being the public face of the SFF campaign, He informed me that Burkie was sick to the guts in his period as a player and member of the coaching staff, regarding the facilities and services available for players. The playing group had nowhere near the resources needed to be competitive in this competition. Also Greg is a very private individual who highly values his privacy, He is sacrificing a lot to lead this ticket. A man who values obscurity to give his privacy up to run for a fanciful ticket for his own worth, I think not. "

Do the North boys dig deeper/better coached/if the palyers were cars do we have more lemons (injury rates)

I am not privy to all details

Improving our facilities and football/staff dept. issues may improve things
but no given.

Have said that for the GT/RB issues to go from the media headlines both must be gone.

This being because no matter how well the current board is or not doing
the media will continue to raise the GT/RB because they now it is the type of "NEWS" they want.

saint4life
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Thank Bungi - appreciate your efforts.

I have said on numerous occasions that I was sure that the FFS would have detailed plans, however until they release them, I wont be following the cult of personality mob baying for a change to just anyone or anything. Nice of him to say they have one. Did he mention if he would ever have the courtesy to actually release it to the voting members?

When I see the plans I can then make up my own mind. The indecent rush by the cult of personality mob on here is my real concern.

You may think it is rubbish Bungiton, but I believe it to be real.

Oh btw can anybody here find a post where I have said i support Butters?

I have said numerous times that he should go. In a perfect world he would step down and not cost us $100k in EGM costs.

Anyway really doesn't matter what i say, sounds as though Westaway and his merry band of drug free temperance society holier than thou crusaders are going to take us to the holy land.

Sorry for being an infidel :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Good effort ringing him Bunington...at least you got it from the horses mouth.
Did you ask about the drug and alcohol references?

To me that was very ill thought out and was unnecessary to bring that into a debate that could be run purely on football related agendas. It has put me off the Westaway ticket.

Nee!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:North have very poor facilities

Adelaide don't.

"We spoke regarding the issue of Burkie being the public face of the SFF campaign, He informed me that Burkie was sick to the guts in his period as a player and member of the coaching staff, regarding the facilities and services available for players. The playing group had nowhere near the resources needed to be competitive in this competition. Also Greg is a very private individual who highly values his privacy, He is sacrificing a lot to lead this ticket. A man who values obscurity to give his privacy up to run for a fanciful ticket for his own worth, I think not. "

Do the North boys dig deeper/better coached/if the palyers were cars do we have more lemons (injury rates)

but no given.

Have said that for the GT/RB issues to go from the media headlines both must be gone.

the media will continue to raise the GT/RB because they now it is the type of "NEWS" they want.
chook a couple of things.

North had their facilities brun down and they were able to re-build it. We can't after 7 years develop our facilties that are stuck in the 80's.

Plus I think some angst would be that the board comes out and says they have $1 million profits each year and yet nothing is done to develop the training facilties. I can see why the likes of burke would want to create change.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: This being because no matter how well the current board is or not doing
And isn't that the problem? We need to be rid of the RB/GT fiefdom, but that does not preclude scrutiny of the new emporers.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:

Adelaide don't.

but no given.

North had their facilities brun down and they were able to re-build it. We can't after 7 years develop our facilties that are stuck in the 80's.

Plus I think some angst would be that the board comes out and says they have $1 million profits each year and yet nothing is done to develop the training facilties. I can see why the likes of burke would want to create change.
Solar

You been down to North lately (know a couple of people on coaching staff)
so have called in a few times.

Their facilities are worst than ours

They are in front because it is ear marked to happen

OURS are still in limbo.
Last edited by chook23 on Mon 17 Sep 2007 10:50am, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
Solar
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Solar wrote:

Adelaide don't.

but no given.

Soler

You been down to North lately (know a couple of people on coaching staff)
so have called in a few times.

Their facilities are worst than ours

They are in front because it ear marked to happen

OURS are still in limbo.
sorry chook did not write that exactly right.

We have the money and the ability to create more revenue then north do. We should have a lot better facilties to them. We should not even be making the comparison.

btw aren't north creating a new training and admin facilty at the moment?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
chook23
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
chook23 wrote: This being because no matter how well the current board is or not doing
And isn't that the problem? We need to be rid of the RB/GT fiefdom, but that does not preclude scrutiny of the new emporers.
agree

Have mention in a number of posts

saint4life
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ditto....

I have mentioned early on that I most likely will be voting for FF...

BUT it is very importnat that they from Day 1 act professioanally...and part of this is being accountable.

A stated aim of their is that they will improve member relations and communications.......well if thety leave us in the dark then there woulds will be hollow.

A key plank of the democratic process is a good HEALTHY debate so that the voters can make an INFORMED decision.

IMPORTANTLY we need to be voting FOR FF.....rather than voting AGAINST RB.

So lets see substance rather than the just trust me line....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

sheehan, hutchy, caro, fatprick......out-scooped by bungiton !

Great stuff bungi, we need as much info as we can get.....going straight to the source is the only way to eliminate media bias.

Can you ring Butterss as well ?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
bungiton
SS Life Member

THe drug and alcohol issue is a smokescreen, in hindsight would preferred that it was worded better. This is my own observation.

The drugs issue has given the board one aspect to belittle the challangers. Lets face it, if it was a nonissue the current board have nothing to hide, in fact it would be beneficial for the current board to say it's a great idea and support it, the fact that this is what the board decided to concentrate on shows how desperate they are.

The media, including the steaming pile of Smith, would have us believe this ATTACK on the current board is reason why Westaway should be given the flick. What is this but a piffling side issue, the board can't stand on it's business model, can't stand on it's wonderful 2007 season, can't stand on it's sponsorship history, can't stand on projected revenue, can't stand on it's united, frictionless outlook, can't stand on it's stability whatsoever.

The fact that this one throwaway comment is the basis of why we should favour the incumbants over the challengers is the very reason the current board needs the flick.

The press are crucifying Gdanski and Levin for breaking ranks to organise a coup is also bewildering. Surely these two should be given credit for standing up against what they see as an untenable board struggling to keep hold at all costs, what if that cost includes more injuries, lack of revenue or lack of sponsors.

The current board is made up of four members who work or are in partnership together. They are being supported by Plympton, surprise surprise, another business partner. This smacks of a powerful pack of business buddies working inside a team that should above all else be solely responsible for the selfless management of the club.

If one comment can be used as a reason to dismiss a solid challenge, how many comments by Butterss this year should be attributed to his own dismissal,

The Thomas saga acts one, two, three or four?

The fact that investigators were employed to spy on players? Presumably to ensure the evil Thomas wasn't a feature of their personal lives outside of footy?

The comment that the new hopefuls should subscribe to presenting the AFL a business plan and letting them decide the best course for the St Kilda footy club, not its members??

How many comments become the anchor that sinks Butterss, seems to me the list is way longer than the stupid indiscretion by the challengers.

I want a business model from the new board to tell me why after declining membership after three seasons of success, declining sponsors,, threatened law suits from a sponsor attaining to the servicing of their sponsorship, costings of galas and events that lose or raise piddling amounts of money, they deserve to be held in power to the detriment of the footy club thet are supposed to serve.

If the AFL, Caroline Wilson or Patrick Smith want me to support this board tell me why, don't tell me it's simply because the challengers made a comment that might or might not have been made specifically to insult the incumbants, tell me what they have to offer.

Tell me why we will be sued by an ex coach who ended up getting flicked in what seems more to be a conflict of personality than sound business judgement, I reiterate, at THomas' sacking the president made the comment that they don't tolerate mediocrity, tell me why after this year that very statement made by the man himself ins't just cause for him to be removed!

eppo67
Club Player

The facilities the St.Kilda players have are a complete joke and a disgrace.

Just have a look at what the Gold Coast Titans are doing, they are building a multi million dollar elite training facility and they have been in the NRL 1 year. They obviously know the importance of top quality, modern training facilities.

The football dept. and the training facilities need a massive boost to join elite AFL level in the years to come.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: Anyway really doesn't matter what i say, sounds as though Westaway and his merry band of drug free temperance society holier than thou crusaders are going to take us to the holy land.

Sorry for being an infidel :wink:

and that is a cheap shot imhfo joffaboy and not worthy of you......

....the current board has run its race.......and they should quietly slip off into the night......if they were concerned about the club's finances, that is.....they are going to get done over anyway.....

...the 4 or 5 remaining directors are all in business together and are really a mates club looking out for each other at overall expense of the st kilda football club , it's players and its supporters..

....you cannot expect anyone to believe that burke thompson and the two defecting directors don't really know what is going on do you??????

.the challengers. seem to me to be a group of well educated well placed dedicated sainters.... it is not a case of cult worshippers at all...

you can vote for who you like...so can i and cheap shots at sff supporters isn't going to change my mind.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Really hope we can all have a beer and a laugh and unite as a club behind Ross and the boys after the AGM...

We are all passionate saints and its inevitable that like every aspect of life let alone football we have our own views and perceptions...

Ultimately I'm convinced we will emerge stronger and with single minded focus![much to the annoyance of Caro.Fatprick,Hutchy etc]

Go Saints :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
spert
Saintsational Legend

And under Westaway in 2008 if we finish 9th or worse, what's it going to be..Sack The Coach..Sack the CEO..Sack the players. Really this is no magic wand and it still stinks of ego strutting to me.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:And under Westaway in 2008 if we finish 9th or worse, what's it going to be..Sack The Coach..Sack the CEO..Sack the players. Really this is no magic wand and it still stinks of ego strutting to me.
What if the sky falls in... :roll:

The important thing is to get the best structure ,work practices and facilities in place to give the boys the best fighting chance in 08 and beyond...

ie:control what can be controlled...

And for me it is very much about Egos...voting an inflated one out and getting a board which is unified in improving areas that have been neglected for too long :x

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bungiton did he convey that Grant Thomas, Rod Butters Lindsay Fox or any other PARASITE would have nothing to with the club whatsoever in the future under his Presidency???????????????????????????

“Yeah….nah””
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Bungiton did he convey that Grant Thomas, Rod Butters Lindsay Fox or any other PARASITE would have nothing to with the club whatsoever in the future under his Presidency???????????????????????????
This seems to be a common theme around here, people love to hate.

Personally, I would be happy if Westaway and Thomas and Butterss and Fox were united and focussing on the common goal that is StKFC achieving success. I don't give a fat rats clacker who's wearing what hat, show me the ****ing cup !

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Teflon wrote:Bungiton did he convey that Grant Thomas, Rod Butters Lindsay Fox or any other PARASITE would have nothing to with the club whatsoever in the future under his Presidency???????????????????????????

Personally, I would be happy if Westaway and Thomas and Butterss and Fox were united and focussing on the common goal that is StKFC achieving success. I don't give a fat rats clacker who's wearing what hat, show me the ****ing cup !
sounds awesome satchmo - Id throw in Idi Amin to get the full complement...but it does appear unlikely.......... :shock:

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:

That is the most sensible post we have had since the debate. Who cares who is in charge lets just organise it and try to win what we have done once in 110 years.