Rod Keogh moves to Wodonga

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hellorocky
Club Player

Rod Keogh moves to Wodonga

Dockers coach Keogh walks
By ANGUS LIVINGSTON
07 September 2007

GONE: Rod Keogh
BURNIE coach Rod Keogh has resigned from the club and will move to Wodonga.

The former St Kilda and Melbourne player made the announcement yesterday after just one season with the Dockers.

In a letter to the Dockers' board, Keogh said the move was due to business interests, not issues with the club.

"Sadly my family has to move to Wodonga to pursue my career, however we will leave with many great friends and memories from our time living in this great place, Tassie," he said.

"I sincerely thank (president) Shane Walker and everyone responsible for allowing me the privilege of coaching the Burnie Dockers Football Club."

"My time at the club has been, although very short, a wonderful experience that I will always be grateful for."

Walker thanked Keogh and his wife, Leanne, for their efforts at the Dockers this season.

"Rod and Leanne started up a new business when they moved to Burnie and their move to Wodonga allows them greater work opportunities," he said.

Keogh has started a generational change at Burnie, which started after the dismantling of the premiership-winning teams that dominated the league from 2001 to 2005.

He has introduced a number of impressive youngsters to senior NTFL football and has overseen the development of future stars Tyson Mihocek, Maverick Weller, Jacob Hislop and Sam Smart.

However this season has also been a tough one for Keogh, with two high-profile senior players leaving the club.

The first was key defender Matthew Wooldridge, who walked out on the club on a contract technicality, while Wilf Barker medallist Mathew Smith also left the club after a fight with an assistant coach.

Despite those controversies, Keogh has left the club with an exciting future.

Walker said the search for a new coach would start immediately.

"The 2008 Dockers coach has been left a fantastic legacy by Rod Keogh," he said.

"The position will be advertised both locally and on the mainland this weekend, the club will be in no rush to make an appointment.

"We are very mindful of making the right decision and if that takes a little time then we are comfortable with this."

courtesy http://nwtasmania.yourguide.com.au/deta ... tegory=afl

Hopefully the move will be a little more successful than another high profile former 1997 St Kilda grand finalist that moved to Wodonga 12 months ago :wink:

st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

Matthew Smith is my first cousin.......did not like Keogh....