When will we get something from OUR Board? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik - you are correct. Its not easy to make a profit of one million dollars.

I certainly dont take that for granted, nor do i think it will be forthcoming every year.

I do think that the term $1m profit has been overused though. The fact is, with the lowest revenue and lowest expenditure of pretty much all clubs in the competition, with our onfield success and jump in membership over the last 5-10 years we would be expected to make profits of that amount regularly.

You ask since when have we not gone into a season without a major sponsor, and again, i dont disagree. We have a long history of financial trouble and turmoil with sponsors. The difference is, the board were under no pressure from anyone else to get a sponsor. Nobody was calling for future propositions from the people in power. We had faith that they would pull through and they did.

What im saying is that SFF cannot make any financial predictions publicly when they have no guarantees about sponsorship, but I would expect them to be shopping around for prospective major sponsors right at this moment.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic I agree with you entirely on that point. But my point is - we're not forced into giving anyone our proxy for a long while yet.

The SFF ticket of course wants as many as possible, as quickly as possible. I think The Peanut may have been correct in another thread that if they do get a certain amount in this period of time, the current board are forced to step down, and obviously thats what SFF would want as it would be much easier and cheaper on their part.

That said - we are not obligated to rush into anything. We have until November 12 to get our votes / proxies in.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Mr Magic I agree with you entirely on that point. But my point is - we're not forced into giving anyone our proxy for a long while yet.

The SFF ticket of course wants as many as possible, as quickly as possible. I think The Peanut may have been correct in another thread that if they do get a certain amount in this period of time, the current board are forced to step down, and obviously thats what SFF would want as it would be much easier and cheaper on their part.

That said - we are not obligated to rush into anything. We have until November 12 to get our votes / proxies in.
At least we can agree on that point :)

My concern is with the number of posters who have already or are seriously contemplating sending their proxies (as is their right) without haveing any detail other than we oppose RB and the Incumbents, or because Nathan Burke asked me for it.

I don't want you or I or any other member stuck with a Board foisted onto us because a couple of thousand other members sent in their proxy based on a glossy marketing pamphlet.

I don't know for sure but I would think it would only take a couple of thousand proxy votes to overthrow the current board and deprive us of an election? Considering the Incumbents haven't asked for proxies as yet, this has all the appearance of a well calculated and designed attack on them to circumvent an election.

In reality Isn't that similar to RB asking the AFL to determine the relative merits of the bids in that it deprives the membership of a chance to determine the result?

All I'm saying, and you seem to be agreeing, is that members hold off on sending their proxy until we know more details.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:All I'm saying, and you seem to be agreeing, is that members hold off on sending their proxy until we know more details.
Thats exactly what im saying... but im also saying to the ones getting narky, that theres plenty of time, and no reason to go bagging the members of the new ticket as of yet.

Brewer
Club Player

n1ck wrote:You ask since when have we not gone into a season without a major sponsor, and again, i dont disagree. We have a long history of financial trouble and turmoil with sponsors. The difference is, the board were under no pressure from anyone else to get a sponsor. Nobody was calling for future propositions from the people in power. We had faith that they would pull through and they did.
Surely you would have to blame the board for trouble with sponsors? The fact that they have 'pulled through' each time and delivered sponsors, who have then left angrily because of our incompetence, is hardly proof of a board doing good work in this department.

What we want are keen sponsors, who love the Saints, love the way we look after them, want to stick with us and pay top dollar to be associated with us. This is an important area (especially if revenue is any sort of priority) and yet the current admin can't seem to make it work.

What will our 'Lexus Centre' be called? Or will it be sponsored by the Burger King we'll have to build in the front?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:
n1ck wrote:You ask since when have we not gone into a season without a major sponsor, and again, i dont disagree. We have a long history of financial trouble and turmoil with sponsors. The difference is, the board were under no pressure from anyone else to get a sponsor. Nobody was calling for future propositions from the people in power. We had faith that they would pull through and they did.
Surely you would have to blame the board for trouble with sponsors? The fact that they have 'pulled through' each time and delivered sponsors, who have then left angrily because of our incompetence, is hardly proof of a board doing good work in this department.

What we want are keen sponsors, who love the Saints, love the way we look after them, want to stick with us and pay top dollar to be associated with us. This is an important area (especially if revenue is any sort of priority) and yet the current admin can't seem to make it work.

What will our 'Lexus Centre' be called? Or will it be sponsored by the Burger King we'll have to build in the front?
I do blame the board for the lack of sponsorship, and our troubles with keeping sponsors. I just meant we havent demanded financial plans from the incumbents because we had good faith in them. It seems to me that faith has been lost...

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:What we want are keen sponsors, who love the Saints, love the way we look after them, want to stick with us and pay top dollar to be associated with us. This is an important area (especially if revenue is any sort of priority) and yet the current admin can't seem to make it work.
And while we are at it have a crack at world peace and the beautification of Mother Theresa :wink:

There is love of the saints (members/supporters) and Commercial reality, the two rarely mix.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Brewer
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:
Brewer wrote:What we want are keen sponsors, who love the Saints, love the way we look after them, want to stick with us and pay top dollar to be associated with us. This is an important area (especially if revenue is any sort of priority) and yet the current admin can't seem to make it work.
And while we are at it have a crack at world peace and the beautification of Mother Theresa :wink:

There is love of the saints (members/supporters) and Commercial reality, the two rarely mix.
You're missing my point joffa. I'm not talking about finding sponsors who are die-hard Saints fans. I'm talking about making sponsors fall in love with sponsoring the Saints. That is about servicing their needs, over-delivering and treating them with the respect they are trying to buy - which we clearly aren't doing, judging by the way they can't get out the door quick enough once the first term expires.

If we can't even tell Vodafone that one of our biggest names is signed to Telstra then we don't deserve their cheque. It's shameful.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.