Going forward.......>>>.<<<<<<<

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bungiton
SS Life Member

Going forward.......>>>.<<<<<<<

Rod Butterss and the incumbant board seem to want the Rebels to indicate a clear vision for leading the club forward. For mine they have clearly indicated the prime reason to elect the challanging ticket.

At no stage during the past 12 months has the president or his board given any indication of a view other than one from the rear view mirror. They sacked the previous coach 12 months ago and this season spent most of the time focusing on this event. where was this vision for the future of the club when going to the press at every oppotunity to publicly launder our dirty undergarments for all to see. What future vision did publicly sparring with the past coach achieve?

The incumbant boards future vision might have been so blinkered on Thomas they neglected to foresee we would be without major sponsors by the end of the season. They might have done better to work on Thomas a little less whilst forging a deal with council to assure a training facility to ensure our players are given the opportunity most others already have.

One aspect that troubles me with the current board is that the pres and a few of his board are in partnership outside of the club. This situation has led to payments of $10000 dollars, (was it a week?) being paid for consulting work, I believe to teach the current CEO his job?

This arrangement clearly has two board members feel in a position untenable to a normal working arrangement with the rest of the board. Normally it might not be a problem to have such closely bonded individuals on a board, but there does seem to be a clear jobs for the boys aspect within this nucleus of the board.

Nathan Burke and Andy Thompson have been attacked a little unfairly for associating with the new ticket, Thommo in particular for the timing of his decision to link with thhe rival bid. For mine the fact that these two have decided to run is an indictment on the current regime. For a player to retire and immediately effectively choose to forgo that retirement might just be indicative of the playing groups feelings about the current regime. Who is to say that Thommos decision is not directly linked to the feelings of the current playing group. clearly most players were embarressed by the ongoing spat carried out in the media over their associations with Thomas away from footy.

The one bad aspect of the FF bid has been the drugs, alcohol statement. not because it may be deflamatory to the incumbants, but because it has given them a perfect oppotunity to deflect, and dodge as is their normal MO.

Instead of giving us a vision of this wonderful rosy future they demand from the FF ticket, the current board is hiding behind the usual smokescreen, provided by the challengers, of hurt and supposed slander after being accused of using these substances apparently.

Now as I see it the FF ticket has assembled a ticket which will effectively seek to

*Target sponsorhip by ensuring these sponsors are given value for their investment, at the moment it is mooted that sponsors feel they don't recive value for their investment, we have lost both major sponsors and another is aiming to sue the club for not delivering on the promises they offered for this revenue.

* have included a member to arrange functions that include all supporters as equals ( no tiered arrangements for elites and peons), and to ensure these functions aren't a wase of funds. It is pathetic that Harvs testimonial raised only a couple of hundred bucks, burkies $140.00.
This area is charged with getting equal access for all members, with a view to actually raising funds, Dana Nelsons expertise is specifically this area

*Switch focus from off field issues to concentrate specifically on the playing groups chances of getting to Grand finals. Money spent on injury management, recrutiment and recognition of talent and hopefully an elite training facilty.

The current board is more concerned about keeping its hold on the club, the statement that the challengers should outline a plan to the AFL and let them, not the membership determine what is the best outcome for the club, smacks of a board that as we have witnessed this year that concerns themselves with piffling interests outside of footy, and not as it should, the players and most importantly the emebers of this footy club. The board does not have ownership of the Saint kilda football club, the membership does, the AFL is not the governing factor in a decision as to which people are empowered to run our club.

This same membership which has declined by three to four thousand signatures this year after a prolongued period of success, you could say the members have already started to voice an opinion long before this Rebel pack of monsters even took seed.

Yep two choices the status quo, a board that smacks of jobs for the boys, cronyism and a power group of four that neglect to use either of the lawyers on board to fight a stupid tribunal decision that cost one of our most important players seven weeks,

Or the new broom, a board made up of two decorated and deicated ex players, a collection of people obviously very successful in their respective fields with a vision of putting the players, the members and the club before petty infighting and rear view politics.....

hmm heads or tails :wink:

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Nicely put, the "takeover" and let the AFL choose made my vote secure.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Quite frankly, the FF group have a group of well-known ex players, lawyers, businessmen, but absolutley no credibilty as a potential functioning board and I suspect if they did get in, then cracks would appear quite quickly, as yet again, much of this is ego driven and about personalities. Getting back to on-field issues, RL and the playing group had to endure the GT hangover for most of his first season, and I expect in 2008 we will be lot more competitive, fitter and tougher regardless of whichever egotists are trying to run our club at the top level.

bungiton
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Quite frankly, the FF group have a group of well-known ex players, lawyers, businessmen, but absolutley no credibilty as a potential functioning board and I suspect if they did get in, then cracks would appear quite quickly, as yet again, much of this is ego driven and about personalities. Getting back to on-field issues, RL and the playing group had to endure the GT hangover for most of his first season, and I expect in 2008 we will be lot more competitive, fitter and tougher regardless of whichever egotists are trying to run our club at the top level.
So fairly much exactly the same as the current board??

They had pretty much the same mix of experience, no credibility as a functioning board and the cracks are there for all to see

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I know loosing our 2 major sponsors is a concern, but Bill Express did indicate early this season that they wouldn't continue on with sponsorship as they are with all sponsorships (who ever they may be) and that they were changing their direction. Also remember they are a Fox co and Fox loves GT. With Vodaphone there was a conflict of interest with the Luke Ball sponsorship, now Luke's sponsorship isn't new so who knows if that is an excuse to get out or not.

Personally I am still on the fence with all this. The one thing that bothers me with SFF is they don't seem to be a strong group, they are not inspiring, or at least to me. Dana is barely a Saints supporter. Bromberg and Klim don't want to be Directors. Are they around for the long haul? If we vote them in, will they all be around in a year, two years time? If Butterss is such a big issue, why havn't more people jumped on board?

Lets not make decisons to hasty folks.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Brewer
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:With Vodaphone there was a conflict of interest with the Luke Ball sponsorship, now Luke's sponsorship isn't new so who knows if that is an excuse to get out or not.
Vodafone were apparently furious that the Saints did not disclose Ball's prior arrangement with Telstra.

IMO Vodafone had every right to be furious, and it suggests gross incompetence from Saints management not to be across this. Do you reckon we'd hear the same story from Collingwood? This isn't amateur hour, this is big league sports and sponsors expect better treatment.

With regards to whether the new group are inspiring, are you inspired by the incumbents? With all the bickering, infighting and apparent dissent within the ranks?

Not saying SKFF are perfect, but let's give them equal footing for a second - forget what Butterss has done in the past and look at them side by side. One of them we know has serious cracks and ego problems etc. The other is new, keen, focussed, has a pretty good CV and several very respectable and intelligent sports people giving them full support.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
bungiton
SS Life Member

Saint Bev wrote: Dana is barely a Saints supporter. Bromberg and Klim don't want to be Directors. Are they around for the long haul? If we vote them in, will they all be around in a year, two years time? If Butterss is such a big issue, why havn't more people jumped on board?

Dana has been chosen because of her actual professional experience, she manages catering contractors and catering companies. Her inclusion is specifically to manage functions, occasions and footy events that at the moment are sadly lacking. After all the hullabulloo, Harv's testimonial raised a couple of hundred lousy dollars, where did all the money go?? A great way to send off a dedicated selfless and inspirational champion- NOT!!!

Klim and Bromberg arent' being voted in, they are going to be placed on a sub committee to oversee football operations, helping to make the playing group and those running it more effective.

Butterss is a big issue, lost me when he wasted the year, sneaking through the bushes with a sniper rifle, taking pot shots at Thomas, GT had to go, was gotten to go, end of story. Why keep rehashing previous mistakes?

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Brewer wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:With Vodaphone there was a conflict of interest with the Luke Ball sponsorship, now Luke's sponsorship isn't new so who knows if that is an excuse to get out or not.
Vodafone were apparently furious that the Saints did not disclose Ball's prior arrangement with Telstra.

IMO Vodafone had every right to be furious, and it suggests gross incompetence from Saints management not to be across this. Do you reckon we'd hear the same story from Collingwood? This isn't amateur hour, this is big league sports and sponsors expect better treatment.

With regards to whether the new group are inspiring, are you inspired by the incumbents? With all the bickering, infighting and apparent dissent within the ranks?

Not saying SKFF are perfect, but let's give them equal footing for a second - forget what Butterss has done in the past and look at them side by side. One of them we know has serious cracks and ego problems etc. The other is new, keen, focussed, has a pretty good CV and several very respectable and intelligent sports people giving them full support.
To be honest I'm not really inspired either way. Can see flaws with Butterss, mostly to do with the revenue. But I just ask the question with SFF, take away Burke and Thommo and they aren't that inspiring. Westaway seems to be happy for Burkie to be the face of FSS. Why? Maybe Burke should be the new President. Most of our players have resigned under the Butterss board. So they couldn't have been to concerned. I just don't know, glad I don't have to make a decison straight away.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Going forward.......>>>.<<<<<<

bungiton wrote:Rod Butterss and the incumbant board seem to want the Rebels to indicate a clear vision for leading the club forward. For mine they have clearly indicated the prime reason to elect the challanging ticket.

At no stage during the past 12 months has the president or his board given any indication of a view other than one from the rear view mirror. They sacked the previous coach 12 months ago and this season spent most of the time focusing on this event. where was this vision for the future of the club when going to the press at every oppotunity to publicly launder our dirty undergarments for all to see. What future vision did publicly sparring with the past coach achieve?

The incumbant boards future vision might have been so blinkered on Thomas they neglected to foresee we would be without major sponsors by the end of the season. They might have done better to work on Thomas a little less whilst forging a deal with council to assure a training facility to ensure our players are given the opportunity most others already have.

One aspect that troubles me with the current board is that the pres and a few of his board are in partnership outside of the club. This situation has led to payments of $10000 dollars, (was it a week?) being paid for consulting work, I believe to teach the current CEO his job?

This arrangement clearly has two board members feel in a position untenable to a normal working arrangement with the rest of the board. Normally it might not be a problem to have such closely bonded individuals on a board, but there does seem to be a clear jobs for the boys aspect within this nucleus of the board.

Nathan Burke and Andy Thompson have been attacked a little unfairly for associating with the new ticket, Thommo in particular for the timing of his decision to link with thhe rival bid. For mine the fact that these two have decided to run is an indictment on the current regime. For a player to retire and immediately effectively choose to forgo that retirement might just be indicative of the playing groups feelings about the current regime. Who is to say that Thommos decision is not directly linked to the feelings of the current playing group. clearly most players were embarressed by the ongoing spat carried out in the media over their associations with Thomas away from footy.

The one bad aspect of the FF bid has been the drugs, alcohol statement. not because it may be deflamatory to the incumbants, but because it has given them a perfect oppotunity to deflect, and dodge as is their normal MO.

Instead of giving us a vision of this wonderful rosy future they demand from the FF ticket, the current board is hiding behind the usual smokescreen, provided by the challengers, of hurt and supposed slander after being accused of using these substances apparently.

Now as I see it the FF ticket has assembled a ticket which will effectively seek to

*Target sponsorhip by ensuring these sponsors are given value for their investment, at the moment it is mooted that sponsors feel they don't recive value for their investment, we have lost both major sponsors and another is aiming to sue the club for not delivering on the promises they offered for this revenue.

* have included a member to arrange functions that include all supporters as equals ( no tiered arrangements for elites and peons), and to ensure these functions aren't a wase of funds. It is pathetic that Harvs testimonial raised only a couple of hundred bucks, burkies $140.00.
This area is charged with getting equal access for all members, with a view to actually raising funds, Dana Nelsons expertise is specifically this area

*Switch focus from off field issues to concentrate specifically on the playing groups chances of getting to Grand finals. Money spent on injury management, recrutiment and recognition of talent and hopefully an elite training facilty.

The current board is more concerned about keeping its hold on the club, the statement that the challengers should outline a plan to the AFL and let them, not the membership determine what is the best outcome for the club, smacks of a board that as we have witnessed this year that concerns themselves with piffling interests outside of footy, and not as it should, the players and most importantly the emebers of this footy club. The board does not have ownership of the Saint kilda football club, the membership does, the AFL is not the governing factor in a decision as to which people are empowered to run our club.

This same membership which has declined by three to four thousand signatures this year after a prolongued period of success, you could say the members have already started to voice an opinion long before this Rebel pack of monsters even took seed.

Yep two choices the status quo, a board that smacks of jobs for the boys, cronyism and a power group of four that neglect to use either of the lawyers on board to fight a stupid tribunal decision that cost one of our most important players seven weeks,

Or the new broom, a board made up of two decorated and deicated ex players, a collection of people obviously very successful in their respective fields with a vision of putting the players, the members and the club before petty infighting and rear view politics.....

hmm heads or tails :wink:
Top post Bungi :wink: Couldn't agree more!

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:
spert wrote:Quite frankly, the FF group have a group of well-known ex players, lawyers, businessmen, but absolutley no credibilty as a potential functioning board and I suspect if they did get in, then cracks would appear quite quickly, as yet again, much of this is ego driven and about personalities. Getting back to on-field issues, RL and the playing group had to endure the GT hangover for most of his first season, and I expect in 2008 we will be lot more competitive, fitter and tougher regardless of whichever egotists are trying to run our club at the top level.

They had pretty much the same mix of experience, no credibility as a functioning board and the cracks are there for all to see
Well there are two current members of the board who will be new members of the board who have shown that they are disloyal.

How long will it be before these two decide to move on Westaway?

The club is a rabble and the board will be split by the usual rich boys using the club as a play thing.

The place is falling apart.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Dana has been chosen because of her actual professional experience, she manages catering contractors and catering companies. Her inclusion is specifically to manage functions, occasions and footy events that at the moment are sadly lacking. After all the hullabulloo, Harv's testimonial raised a couple of hundred lousy dollars, where did all the money go?? A great way to send off a dedicated selfless and inspirational champion- NOT!!!

Klim and Bromberg arent' being voted in, they are going to be placed on a sub committee to oversee football operations, helping to make the playing group and those running it more effective.

Butterss is a big issue, lost me when he wasted the year, sneaking through the bushes with a sniper rifle, taking pot shots at Thomas, GT had to go, was gotten to go, end of story. Why keep rehashing previous mistakes?[/quote]

Yes I know why Dana was chosen and agree changes need to be made in that area. So many figures thrown around about Harves Testimonial, who knows what is correct.

Look I know alot of people have it in for Butterss, personally I am sick to death of people just saying the same thing over and over, by the way you can't believe everyinthing you read in the media either. GT is no angel. I'm sure he is loving the stir he has caused. As I said I am sick to death of hearing about it. People need to move on.

As I said I am on the fence at this stage. Would nice if we could all talk about the issues at hand and not the same ol GT stuff.

bungiton
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
bungiton wrote:

Well there are two current members of the board who will be new members of the board who have shown that they are disloyal.

How long will it be before these two decide to move on Westaway?

The club is a rabble and the board will be split by the usual rich boys using the club as a play thing.

The place is falling apart.
These two members of the current board unexpectedly are on the outer of the power cliche that have ownage of the decisions made at board level. When it is fact that Butters and his cronies share business partnerships outside of the board, are effectively in each others pocket, is it in fact disloyal of the two members that see this as an untennable position for a board to be in??

The Baker case highlights this, the board didn't accept any legal help becasue neither rang to put their hands up??? If these two are made to be outside the cliche are not consulted immediately a case goes to the tribunal, why are they wasting time on the board. Perhaps they feel the situation with the current regime has got to a stage where all the deicisions revolve around whats best for the cliche than best for the club.

Perhaps instead of being slandered for their stnace you could take the view that in light of all that has happened over the last year these two have felt that last straw crack the old back and say enough, this club deserves better

bungiton
SS Life Member

Saint Bev wrote: Would nice if we could all talk about the issues at hand and not the same ol GT stuff.
Perhaps this one line should be directed at the current board, they need this insight more than anyone else

stinger
Saintsational Legend

good post bungi...no....make that a great post..... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:I know loosing our 2 major sponsors is a concern, but Bill Express did indicate early this season that they wouldn't continue on with sponsorship as they are with all sponsorships (who ever they may be) and that they were changing their direction. Also remember they are a Fox co and Fox loves GT. With Vodaphone there was a conflict of interest with the Luke Ball sponsorship, now Luke's sponsorship isn't new so who knows if that is an excuse to get out or not.

Personally I am still on the fence with all this. The one thing that bothers me with SFF is they don't seem to be a strong group, they are not inspiring, or at least to me. Dana is barely a Saints supporter. Bromberg and Klim don't want to be Directors. Are they around for the long haul? If we vote them in, will they all be around in a year, two years time? If Butterss is such a big issue, why havn't more people jumped on board?

just who inspires you from amongst our current directors then,
saint bev....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
loriswa
Club Player

I'm surprised Mordy Bromberg's incredibly successful professional profile hasn't been given more prominence. He is an internationally renowned in Industrial Law. If I can recollect correcly - few years ago he was involved in ILO cases with the United Nations where he received a lot of quodos.

He's no little suburban lawyer who happened to grease his way into QC standing.

Andrew Thompson's always demonstrated he had a brain and not just skills chasing pig leather around a football field. He's always combined working and studying whilst being a full time footballer...no sitting around playing X-Box games for Thommo. Hey it also helps to have a dad in law that held the highest position in international cricket...connections in sport can open lots of avenues politically, economically and socially... that could prove beneficial for the STKFC .

Michael Klim is a very astute business person, he hasn't just spent years following a black line up and down a swimming pool and solely focused on being an elite sportsman. Plus his wife connections are not to be sneezed at........ connections can lead to sponsors. , maybe??

So these members of the proposed 'Footy Sub Committee' aren't your average run of the mill meat-head durh huh sportspeople. Moreso they are intelligent high achievers in other fields.