club employee "threatened by director"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:
Are you suggesting that even the St Kilda board should not have access to its own membership list?!
it isn't his it is the clubs and it is private information as per the Privacy Act.

Directors have a fiduciary duty to act in the best interests of the members.

Is leaking private information and potentially breaking the Privacy Act the actions of a director breaking his common law duties?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Brewer
Club Player

I think you might be being a bit too precious about the member list Joffa. Your private details from all sorts of sources are being traded perfectly legally every day.

The privacy act doesn't extend to a club not being able to access its own list. If the club ever sends you anything, then it needs to access the list. It may even be able to sell it to third parties (not sure if it is, depends on the small print when you sign up, I can't remember). The list is therefore legitimately available AT LEAST to board directors as well as any admin staff who need to use it, and probably to various 'business partners' as well.

Again, I'm just speculating, but it seems to me the most likely scenario is that a board director asked for a copy of the list. It probably happens numerous times a year for all sorts of reasons. The staff member provided the list, as normal. The board director happens to be associated with the rival ticket and used the list to mail out the SKFF info. Mr Casey hears of this and in his annoyance abuses the poor staff member in the carpark.

In any legal matter, some of the questions that would need to be answered IMO are:

1. Would the rival ticket have been entitled to this information anyway? (yes, although maybe not until later)
2. Was the SKFF info pertinent to club members? (yes)
3. Does the list contain any sensitive or compromising information? (no).

So as I see it, the worst 'offence' here is the rival ticket possibly having access to the list a few weeks earlier than technically they should have. But that may well be negated by the fact the rival ticket contains current board members that are perfectly entitled to use the list to send out information they feel is important to members.

It's only names and addresses for heaven's sake, it's hardly your medical records being broadcast by Channel 7.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.