Greg westaway on sport 927 audio

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Greg westaway on sport 927 audio

cazper66

Not much substance to him unfortunately. Hardly a polished media performer.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

well...neither is rod...ffs.....no..actually rod is flowering embarrassing...... :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sorry but thats a pathetic performance - leave Butters aside - this bloke speaks like a rock ape: Transcript:

Westaway;

"Thats not right.................right"
"You said that...............right"
"Need more money spent on football............right"
"Like minded spitits............right"
"Butters under pressure............right"

All biases aside because I'll wait for the next few weeks beforfe I decide - but its nothing short of disgraceful to try and be a smart @ss and play politics and innuendo over the drugs/grog comment ...then backaway from it and try and say you were talking "generally" about football......it does nothing to entice me to vote for someone that would even go there firstly and then secondly NOT have the balls to either back it up or apologise. He had an intention - it blew up in his face - better off apologising and saying thats not what he meant.

right?

“Yeah….nah””
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Who is the interviewer?
Lead him like a horse to the winners circle.

Backed away strongly from the initial inuendo (drugs alcohol).

Finishes every second sentence with the word 'right'.

Wonder if he tests the Gregory's Transport Drivers for illicit drug use as that is an industry that has been rife with substance abuse.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
firthy
Club Player

poor poor teflon pity pity pity

Please let me live long enough to see it happen.
SaintDippa
Club Player

Not sure if this has been already posted, but heard today from someone who has spoken to ...... and SFF not happy with the allegations.

Reporter: {asks question relating to drugs and players}

SFF: agreed that a drug policy needs to be in place.

Reporter: Do you believe that clubs should adopt a policy against all employees, be they players, staff, executives, board members?

SFF: {gives a response indicating that drugs should not be part of peoples liestyle decisions}

Report in paper then COMPLETLY verbals/beats up the story: ".. keep drugs out of the board room ...." . Complete fabrication, but makes a good story. No wonder Westie not happy .... being very careful when discussing the beat up.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

firthy wrote:poor poor teflon pity pity pity
Thats it? Thats your contribution? (why dont you poke out your tongue and really show us your age.....)

You running on all cylinders pal ? :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote:Not sure if this has been already posted, but heard today from someone who has spoken to ...... and SFF not happy with the allegations.

Reporter: {asks question relating to drugs and players}

SFF: agreed that a drug policy needs to be in place.

Reporter: Do you believe that clubs should adopt a policy against all employees, be they players, staff, executives, board members?

SFF: {gives a response indicating that drugs should not be part of peoples liestyle decisions}

Report in paper then COMPLETLY verbals/beats up the story: ".. keep drugs out of the board room ...." . Complete fabrication, but makes a good story. No wonder Westie not happy .... being very careful when discussing the beat up.
Thats not been said and Burke just backed Barret by saying he was entitled to in the interview pick up in those comments - yes we can say "someone told me he was taken out of context".......but wheres the apology? where Westaway IF hes been misquoted screaming it from rooftops??????

Nup. He said and probably just shot himself in the foot doing it.

“Yeah….nah””
The Peanut
Club Player

Greg Westaway is a little like Rod Butterss was around the time of the GT sacking - no media experience and everyone came on here and rubbished him for the exact words he used - how he looked and when he stumbled. I thought that he really mucked up his image then and after making plenty more media blunders since he was getting some experience with answering the tricky quations in front of a camera or microphone, and now watching RB tonight on TV he was as smooth as. I met Greg Westaway today and he comes across much differently in real life as Rod Butterss probably did 12 moths ago. (woops - spelling mistake) :wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:Greg Westaway is a little like Rod Butterss was around the time of the GT sacking - no media experience and everyone came on here and rubbished him for the exact words he used - how he looked and when he stumbled. I thought that he really mucked up his image then and after making plenty more media blunders since he was getting some experience with answering the tricky quations in front of a camera or microphone, and now watching RB tonight on TV he was as smooth as. I met Greg Westaway today and he comes across much differently in real life as Rod Butterss probably did 12 moths ago. (woops - spelling mistake) :wink:
Ive met Rod Butters and he comes across the same as he does on screen - what r we running here alter egos?

Butters has ALWAYS been extremely approchable from my experience as a member speaking to him.

“Yeah….nah””
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

:arrow:
Last edited by saintbrat on Thu 13 Sep 2007 11:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:Who is the interviewer?
Lead him like a horse to the winners circle.

Backed away strongly from the initial inuendo (drugs alcohol).

Finishes every second sentence with the word 'right'.

Wonder if he tests the Gregory's Transport Drivers for illicit drug use as that is an industry that has been rife with substance abuse.
I just hope Greg doesnt do the driving tests:

"Next corner...I want you to turn left........right?" :shock:

“Yeah….nah””
The Peanut
Club Player

Well I'll take your word for it. That wasn't my point though.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:Well I'll take your word for it. That wasn't my point though.
I understand your point and no problems -I have a view Butters has always been a reasonably smooth media performer (other than the dumb move with Thomas this year). To me I dont think he changes that much from day to day but no doubt Westaway will get better....he'll need to IMO.

David Smorgons a good example - he is in life from people I know who have met him as he is in the media...its part of his make up.

“Yeah….nah””
The Peanut
Club Player

I think you'll find that Burkie and Thomo will be the spokespeople on some matters regarding their board if they are successful. Gdanski wasn't too bad on radio the other day. My general view after meeting GW is that he has made his bucks in the trucking business and believes that he can move the club forward just like GT and RB did a few years ago and they succeeded - RB told GT when he had given all he had was "Move on Grant - you've had your go" - I guess that’s just what GW is saying.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

When comparing the current president with the proposed & their media performances... Butterss 7 years experience, still says stupid things, embarrasses the club- Westaway- 3 days experience, said something stupid, embarrasses himself.

The proof in the pudding will be if Westaway is still saying stupid things & embarrassing the club in 2015 (if he is appointed)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:I think you'll find that Burkie and Thomo will be the spokespeople on some matters regarding their board if they are successful. Gdanski wasn't too bad on radio the other day. My general view after meeting GW is that he has made his bucks in the trucking business and believes that he can move the club forward just like GT and RB did a few years ago and they succeeded - RB told GT when he had given all he had was "Move on Grant - you've had your go" - I guess that’s just what GW is saying.
And thats his right to say that and good luck to him...hes still short on some detail in order to get my vote...

That aside.....I dont want a President that cant string 2 words together publicly for fear of a legal action arising cause he cant think on his feet.

Yeah Butters has made media blues - after 7 yrs that is a possibility and I agree of late the Thomas cr@p has seen him under enormous pressure.....but thats to me still aint enough to throw out what HAS been a Board that has secured this football club financially over the past 5 yrs and certainly has it in a better shape than when they got it.

“Yeah….nah””
kaos theory
Club Player

Yes he does, apparently....

Anyway, can someone give me the exact quote where westerway actually says something like "this board has innuendo & rumour about drug & acohol use"....? Not the claim made in the paper, but the actual quote.

It seem pretty clear that GW was refering to the football industry as a whole, rather than our current board.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
Yes he does, apparently....

Anyway, can someone give me the exact quote where westerway actually says something like "this board has innuendo & rumour about drug & acohol use"....? Not the claim made in the paper, but the actual quote.

It seem pretty clear that GW was refering to the football industry as a whole, rather than our current board.
Thats certainly not the inference from the article and I didnt hear Greg or Burkie say theyd been misquoted................

“Yeah….nah””
kaos theory
Club Player

Thats certainly not the inference from the article and I didnt hear Greg or Burkie say theyd been misquoted................
I did. Also, in the taped interview on this post.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
I did. Also, in the taped interview on this post.
Heres Gregs direct quotes from the original article:

Greg Westaway, head of the seven-person Footy First group, said the drug and alcohol policy would set an example for all at the Saints.

"A board of a football club has to lead by example and we will be adhering to that -- that there be no illicit or illegal drugs taken by any board member," Westaway told the Herald Sun yesterday.

"Our members will also sign a policy that they not be intoxicated at board meetings, or club functions or in front of the players.

"That can only send the wrong message. How can you expect the players to behave if that is happening?

"So, that will be put to the board that you take it on as a condition of board membership, and if you don't want to do it, well, you won't be part of it. I don't think it is too much to adhere to."

Asked why he felt the need to implement such a policy, Westaway said: "There has been innuendo and talk, and that's all it is, innuendo, but if we want to conduct a clean board, doing this says a lot about what we are about."
Now I might not see the smokin gun....but Im missing Greg's comments where he refers to the drug/alcohol issue in the broader football world?????
Id suggest this is a failry new found view....possibly after some legal advice.

Bottom line is its gutter stuff, dumb and actually as Burkie said it detracts and clouds their tickets genuine issues they are trying to raise.....Im not convinced Greg shouldnt resign before he starts....

Day 1 - Law suit

Not off to a flyer Gregory......

“Yeah….nah””
kaos theory
Club Player

Asked why he felt the need to implement such a policy, Westaway said: "There has been innuendo and talk, and that's all it is, innuendo, but if we want to conduct a clean board, doing this says a lot about what we are about."

Now I might not see the smokin gun....but Im missing Greg's comments where he refers to the Boards drug/alcohol issue in footy??
There is nothing in this....

Its out of context, anyway, there is no direct quote of him saying "this board has innuendo about drugs" or something like that. He was refering to the football industry in general......sorry, but RB won't get anywhere with that....He needs to move on and look at the real issues about how he is going to take the club forward.

4theluvoftheclub
Club Player

seem to recall we went from 3rd to 3rd to 8th to out of finals..
seem to recall current board has lost the major sponsors..again
seem to recall an injury problem that we have had for years and not been fixed and took years to wake up toget a panel together to look at it..

should the current board take responsibility for their 8 years? or just attack SFF so we forget our bitter tears at the lost opportunity of the last few years.

Rod is slick.. divert focus from current Board's failings .

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:

Now I might not see the smokin gun....but Im missing Greg's comments where he refers to the Boards drug/alcohol issue in footy??
There is nothing in this....

Its out of context, anyway, there is no direct quote of him saying "this board has innuendo about drugs" or something like that. He was refering to the football industry in general......sorry, but RB won't get anywhere with that....He needs to move on and look at the real issues about how he is going to take the club forward.
Thats fine if it was ONLY Rod Butters who also clearly got Gregs deliberate specualtion and attempt at politics - problem is 99% of people who have read this have that exact same view.

Equally - where does Greg Westaway in the original article say he is talking about the broader football drug issue in the AFL? - he does NOW cause he looks stupid and is being challenged.

To drop this dumb statement in the middle of a paragraph about the St Kilda Board - as Christian in the taped interview points out - and expect people to assume hes talikng about a whole different issue is laughable....and even OJ's attorney couldnt get him off that one...

And Id suggest If Rod Butters has to look at how hes going to take the club forward..that we also get some substance - not website and text messages telling us "we'll win a flag if you just spend more on the footy dept..." WITHOUT telling us where the new revenue is coming from for this from Westaways group.

“Yeah….nah””