The Board Challenge: My thoughts so far..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Board Challenge: My thoughts so far..

St Kilda Footy First….my thoughts so far.

Well as we are in election mode….only fair to firstly declare by “biasâ€
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 12 Sep 2007 5:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Evidently the current Board will have a Press Conference in response to FootyFirst at 10am Thurdsay.

Brewer
Club Player

Re: The Board Challenge: My thoughts so far..

saintsRrising wrote:Now yes, Westaway has obviously built a good logistics business, but Logistics is quite different from football and entertainment.

The Footy first needs as a priority to co-opt others onto the Board in this area if he really wants to be best of breed.
SKFF appears to have a link to Justin Morley and David Friend who are in the entertainment and promotions biz - they aren't officially named though.

In defence of Footy First, wouldn't it be fair to say they had their hand forced by the media getting wind of the story? Wouldn't that excuse a certain amount of unpreparedness?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels to me like they've had to run with it a bit earlier than intended and it might not be totally fair to crucify them if that's the case.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The biggest issue for me is revenue. With the loss of sponsors, decline in membership, and perhaps a reduction in on field success (which is largely out of the board's control, in the short term), we need some assurance of sponsorship, alternate revenue streams, and some sustainable business models outside of the footy department.

That said, I am of the belief that Westaway and friends are better placed to do this.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Board Challenge: My thoughts so far..

[quote="Brewer"][quote="saintsRrising"]
SKFF appears to have a link to Justin Morley and David Friend who are in the entertainment and promotions biz - they aren't officially named though.

In defence of Footy First, wouldn't it be fair to say they had their hand forced by the media getting wind of the story? Wouldn't that excuse a certain amount of unpreparedness?

Brewer, I get the complete opposite view of them. I think they have spent quite a deal of time and effort getting themselves ready for this.

I don't subscribe to the view that the media, fuelled by RB, pushed them into this earlier than they wanted to.

I am of the belief that they themselves have been 'backgrounding' certain journalists and that so far the whole challenge has been brough on under their timetable.

As for Justin Morley and David Friend, their apparent connections with the group only make me believe they are musch more advanced than most here think.

Brewer
Club Player

You might be right Magic - just out of interest who are the journos you reckon might have been primed?

To me the scuttlebutt that something was going down seemed to be led mostly by Caro Wilson, who seemed to be pushing the line that it was going to get very ugly - she didn't seem particularly pro-challenge (even though she reckoned the current board would have trouble defending themselves).

I would think if they were more prepared we would see more of Westaway and have more clearly defined policies. If it's panning out the way they intended then I'm less impressed - there are still a lot of holes and questions to be answered.

Interesting times...

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:You might be right Magic - just out of interest who are the journos you reckon might have been primed?

To me the scuttlebutt that something was going down seemed to be led mostly by Caro Wilson, who seemed to be pushing the line that it was going to get very ugly - she didn't seem particularly pro-challenge (even though she reckoned the current board would have trouble defending themselves).

I would think if they were more prepared we would see more of Westaway and have more clearly defined policies. If it's panning out the way they intended then I'm less impressed - there are still a lot of holes and questions to be answered.

Interesting times...
I think Caroline Wilson at the Age and Damien Barratt at the Hun have been given background information by SFF or someone close to them.

JeffDunne thinks that RB has/is leaking to Caroline but I don't agree with him on that.

From the way Patrick Smith and Greg Denham have been speaking I reckon they are being briefed by the current Board because they seem to be very 'supportive' of them.

Caroline accused Hutchy on Footy Confidential of being a mate of RB's.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think it is rubbish that they were forced...

ie evidently all Saints members have been sent an item today.

This needs to be written, layed out printed etc....and not to mention actually posted yesterday.

The mailing list has to be obtained (and interesting as to how that was done??? Privacy Legislation anyone???).

I think that the timing was always going to be round about now.....ie after the main season had finsihed.

If we had stayed in the finals...then they would not yet have launched.

Brewer
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Caroline accused Hutchy on Footy Confidential of being a mate of RB's.
I think Hutchy admitted to being mates with Butterss - but Caro accused him of 'advising' Butterss which he strongly denied.

At the time I thought 'who would be dumb enough to take advice from Hutchison' but then I wondered if perhaps Caro was actually accusing him of 'tipping off' Rod with info about the challengers.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Caroline accused Hutchy on Footy Confidential of being a mate of RB's.
I think Hutchy admitted to being mates with Butterss - but Caro accused him of 'advising' Butterss which he strongly denied.

At the time I thought 'who would be dumb enough to take advice from Hutchison' but then I wondered if perhaps Caro was actually accusing him of 'tipping off' Rod with info about the challengers.
You could be right on that?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think The Peanut made a wise observation that this will strengthen the Club whichever party is successful.

Irrespective of who is elected I see that it will bring greater focus to what needs to be done.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I think The Peanut made a wise observation that this will strengthen the Club whichever party is successful.

Irrespective of who is elected I see that it will bring greater focus to what needs to be done.
Given that SFF have stated that they will not be 'sitting down' with the incumbents, I hope that they do prevail.

My fear is that the incumbents may get back in and be so 'wounded' by this that they have no ability to actually run the Club properly. We would then be faced with an extended period of instability that may well derail us for next season.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

You are correct in saying that it is an opportune time for an alternative board to come in ... probably the best time in 30 years at St Kilda.

However, sometimes different skills sets are required to oversee a growth/expansion phase rather than turning the club around.

Incumbency for the current board is exactly like incumbency for the Howard Government.

They have come to stand for nothing but themselves and have run out of ideas and vision for the future.

Exactly like Kevin Rudd, people are willing to back a fresh alternative, despite it being short on policy detail.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Juggernaut
Club Player

My thoughts so far is
I think its time for a change and it is the right time for a change
I think SFF have board members with enough experience that I feel rest assured that it will be in good hands.
SFF football sub commitee have credible football experience to oversee this dept however I would like to see someone with experience of elite training facility management perhaps someone that has been involved with the AIS I'm happy see Dr Ross Smith will continue to work with SFF
As for Greg Westaway I don't know anything about him one way or the other but if I were to offer an opinion: If the guy can run a successfull trucking company hes got more than enough skills to run our club

RB has to be thanked for his masive contribution to put us where we are today but I feel that he acts as if it has become His club. I'm sorry but he is only the custodian of our club it belongs to the members and I think it is time for a change

The strength behind you is always greater than the challenge in front of you
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Juggernaut wrote: I would like to see someone with experience of elite training facility management perhaps someone that has been involved with the AIS
Well your wish is granted.

The club has already hired 3 ( or 4?) sports scientists from the AIS to work with Dr Ross Smith to supply expert medical training advice....and they have already commenced overhauling our training processes.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 13 Sep 2007 10:25am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Juggernaut wrote:
RB has to be thanked for his masive contribution to put us where we are today but I feel that he acts as if it has become His club. I'm sorry but he is only the custodian of our club it belongs to the members and I think it is time for a change
Yes I think that this may just be the case......

but on the other hand Westaway has been the least impressive aspect of the FF ticket so far.

I hope that he can lift his game.

killa_gram
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Juggernaut wrote: I would like to see someone with experience of elite training facility management perhaps someone that has been involved with the AIS
Well your wish is granted.

The club has already hired 3 ( or is 4) sports scientists from the AIS to wrk with Dr Ross Smith to supply expert medical training advice....and they have already commenced overhalling our training processes.
Better late than never. :roll:

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

killa_gram wrote:

Better late than never. :roll:
I have also talked to an ex-club Doc who indicated that medical advice on training etc was often ignored by the football department....so I would believe that the Footbal Department in the past resisted becoming more swith on medically wise.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i am glad they challenge was in part way prepared.

I think even the smarter essendon fans who are angry at the recent actions of their board realise that their board challenge ticket is half assed.

the saints challenge has got a reasonable mix of business, legal, corporate and football identities to back them.

it seems to be by and large and idiot free challenge, they have prepared their press and PR material.

I am dissapointed in the innuendo with their 'drugs/alcohol promise' and the lack of what they will do th change rather than the current negative approach to the current board.

IMO i would 100% to the new board if they had david friend on board in 2008. atm 55/45 new board but depending on the next couple of weeks it may change.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
firthy
Club Player

Am only interested in Premierships so i have sent in my proxy vote to Footy First --- Present mob ok with finances but at some stage we have to move on to what I'm sure most of us are about -- a bloody flag. I was hopeful for the present incumbents but part way through there reign they decided that , in - fighting and Egos- egos -egos- were really what they were on about not our wonderful club. Our Family has an average life span of 72 years -- I'm 63, getting to close for comfort. Go Sainters

Please let me live long enough to see it happen.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well I woke up this morining knowing that I will vote FF.