OFFICIAL - trade rumours/wishlist thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kalsaint
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Lets see

Mark Seaby
Paul Haselby
Kayne Petteifer

+ a few kids in the draft with no major player losses - plugs a few holes in our list

make it happen boys :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Skeptic
Seaby has all but said he will be stay at the Weagles.
Pettifier wont leave Richmond
Haselby might move on but his kicking to position is not good. He does have a good mark and could make a small leading forwrd though but would cost too much. Not preferred in my opinion.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
fisher_fan
Club Player

WISH LIST

Ruck - Jason Laycock, Darren Jolly, Brad Moran
Midfield - Chance Bateman, Chris Egan
Forwards - Aaron Edwards, Kayne Pettifer
Defense - Chase kids to replace Hudghton

Not all of these would be easily affordable and probably some clubs wouldn't budge on any of them. I just think they would fit well into the Saints line up.

Raph Clarke for Chris Egan would suit both well, seen as The Pies aren't to impressed with Egan and Raph can't seem to gel with the Saints side thus far it might be worth a risk for both clubs to give both players a fresh start.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
eppo67 wrote:Yes no hacks agree but which players are you suggesting are hacks. We badly need a midsize leading , marking fwd. I think we should look Kayne Pettifer.

2007 stats: 22 Games for 357 Disposals = 16.22 ave
37 Goals from 22 Games = 1.68 Goals per game.

Milne Stats: 22 Games for 270 Disposals = 12.27 ave
32 Goals from 22 Games = 1.45 per Game.

Milne is 27 Pettifer is 25. Pettifer plays is woeful team Milne plays in a decent one. Pettifer would kick 40 goals + with us easily. Guys dont forget Hamill is as good as gone we need a replacement.

What do you guys think.
i think bj can play that role, or gilbert.

Gilbert no, BJ yes, but wouldn't it be a waste of BJ's influence on a game. This guy is the ultimate utility player.

I reckon Kent Kingsley is the type of player needed as a forward. Pettifer will cost too much and is probably holding out Kingsley at Richmond.

Another good leading player is the Docker Ryan Murphy. Missing beecause they recruited Tarrant.

By the way the Dockers are also fixated on Mark Williams and Mark Johnson too ??!! Yeah true, slow and 28 years old.
Kent Kingsley is a very good player. Has been unlucky not to get too many games with the bottom side this season. Maybe 2nd or 3rd pick or even just a straight swap with someone like Milne or Baker.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
bigcarl wrote:i think bj can play that (HFF) role, or gilbert.
Gilbert no, BJ yes, but wouldn't it be a waste of BJ's influence on a game. This guy is the ultimate utility player.
goals are the "ultimate" influence on a game. so would three or four goals added to the lowest scoring team in the competition be a waste? i don't think so.

i take your point that bj is useful elswhere. so is kosi ... but i'd rather have a fully functional, goal-kicking forward line that can continually keep scoreboard pressure on the opposition.

our forward line functioned poorly all year and i'd be looking strongly at the performance of the forward coach. maybe he needs more resources.
for much of the year we were the worst performed in converting inside 50s to scores.

as for bj being the ultimate utility, i think gilbert might have his measure. imo gilbert is strong and agile enough to play in a key position. i don't know whether the same can be said of bj. also gilbert is quick enough to play on top on-ballers like judd. (which isn't to say i don't rate bj. rate him very highly, but consider gilbert more versatile)

early days for gilbo but i reckon he can hold down any position on the ground except perhaps for ruck
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 11 Sep 2007 11:18am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Kent Kingsley is a very good player. Has been unlucky not to get too many games with the bottom side this season. Maybe 2nd or 3rd pick or even just a straight swap with someone like Milne or Baker.
i thought we learned our lesson getting untalented old forwards to plug gaps with krakour, willo, etc in the 90s

i'd rather take a chance on a kid or a get a draft pick than another old player who can't perform.

As for getting left overs from underperfoming team :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
i thought we learned our lesson getting untalented old forwards to plug gaps with krakour, willo, etc in the 90s

i'd rather take a chance on a kid or a get a draft pick than another old player who can't perform.

i'm with you on this dan. no to washed up duds. bring them through from the draft and build a team that way

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

fisher_fan wrote:WISH LIST

Ruck - Jason Laycock, Darren Jolly, Brad Moran
Midfield - Chance Bateman, Chris Egan
Forwards - Aaron Edwards, Kayne Pettifer
Defense - Chase kids to replace Hudghton

Not all of these would be easily affordable and probably some clubs wouldn't budge on any of them. I just think they would fit well into the Saints line up.

Raph Clarke for Chris Egan would suit both well, seen as The Pies aren't to impressed with Egan and Raph can't seem to gel with the Saints side thus far it might be worth a risk for both clubs to give both players a fresh start.
Reckon that's a fairly sensible post. ..

However, I think the Bombers would be more willing to part with Hille than Laycock... if so, a 2nd round draft pick for Hille would be good business on our part...
I don't think the Hawks would want to let Bateman go - have you heard something that we haven't?
And as for Egan, I think he's pretty much a poor man's Pettifer, although admittedly hasn't had any real opportunities this year...

The Saints are coming!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Plugger66 is just taking the p... don't blame him, given some of the trades suggested here :shock:

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Kingsley has retired, hasn't he?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

St DAC wrote:Kingsley has retired, hasn't he?
Yes he has I believe :shock:

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Kingsley has definitely retired. Wouldn't be much use to us anyway... I'd be more inclined to go for Courtney Johns from Essendon - another blonde bombshell! Has the height, speed, aerial ability and penetration in his kicking to be an effective key forward!

The Saints are coming!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:Kingsley has definitely retired. Wouldn't be much use to us anyway... I'd be more inclined to go for Courtney Johns from Essendon - another blonde bombshell! Has the height, speed, aerial ability and penetration in his kicking to be an effective key forward!
Well if thats true about Kingsley I agree lets go after Johns. Played very well two weeks ago for Bendigo Bombers and is big and strong. Do we trade draft picks or a swap for players like Baker or Milne.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i'd give up goddard for johns, what you think plugger? :wink:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:Kingsley has definitely retired. Wouldn't be much use to us anyway... I'd be more inclined to go for Courtney Johns from Essendon - another blonde bombshell! Has the height, speed, aerial ability and penetration in his kicking to be an effective key forward!
Well if thats true about Kingsley I agree lets go after Johns. Played very well two weeks ago for Bendigo Bombers and is big and strong. Do we trade draft picks or a swap for players like Baker or Milne.
How about Plugger66 to Carlscum for 'The BabyBlues' and their pick #5, which they'll get from Western Bulldogs for Fevola. We can't get their Pick #3 because that is going to WCE for Judd. :)

SaintDippa
Club Player

Hate this time of year on the forums.

For god's sake. Kingsley, Johns, Pettifer, Egan, Bateman, Hille, Laycock, etc.

Why do we need to top up on marginals who will provide no additional benefit, IMO.

Better to build the list via potentials through the National Draft not discards.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

fonz*15, I hope you are being sarcastic!

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:fonz*15, I hope you are being sarcastic!
no..being just as serious as plugger has been of late :D

of course i'm joking

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:i'd give up goddard for johns, what you think plugger? :wink:
Arnt you serious. I was. Imagine Kingsley or Johns in the forward line. Scorps would be quite good.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:i'd give up goddard for johns, what you think plugger? :wink:
Arnt you serious. I was. Imagine Kingsley or Johns in the forward line. Scorps would be quite good.
throw in watts and brooks and i think we would have a little too much tall timber methinks

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

kalsaint wrote: Haselby might move on but his kicking to position is not good. He does have a good mark and could make a small leading forwrd though but would cost too much. Not preferred in my opinion.
Anyone who looks at aquiring Haselby will not be looking to aquire his 2007 form, which was woeful, but the form he had prior to missing so much time with injuries including OP, when his kicking was top shelf.

If he's available, I probably wouldn't touch him. Haselby of old is exactly what the Saints need. However, if Freo's parting ways with him, it signals to me they don't think he's ever going to regain that kind of form... I never mind a player that can win a clearance though, so if it's 50/50 I'd be very very tempted at the right price...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
fisher_fan
Club Player

SaintDippa wrote:Hate this time of year on the forums.

Why do we need to top up on marginals who will provide no additional benefit, IMO.

Better to build the list via potentials through the National Draft not discards.
Well we have lost a couple of our marginals, who is going to step into Gehrigs role? Do we have a kid ready to take that step? Yes Kosi, will Gardiner need Kosi to back him up in the ruck yes.....we do need to top up our marginals. We seem to have a gap in the team between 25 years of age and 30 years of age.....we need a few experienced guys who can still give us 5 or so more years.

Obviously going the draft seem's to be the safest option with football teams these days, I wouldn't give up 95% of our players for a trade of even majority of our draft picks unless a team was keen to off load someone. Or someone was keen to be a Saint (unlikely at the moment) and we could get them cheaply.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

fisher_fan wrote:
SaintDippa wrote:Hate this time of year on the forums.

Well we have lost a couple of our marginals, who is going to step into Gehrigs role? Do we have a kid ready to take that step? Yes Kosi, will Gardiner need Kosi to back him up in the ruck yes.....we do need to top up our marginals. We seem to have a gap in the team between 25 years of age and 30 years of age.....we need a few experienced guys who can still give us 5 or so more years.

Obviously going the draft seem's to be the safest option with football teams these days, I wouldn't give up 95% of our players for a trade of even majority of our draft picks unless a team was keen to off load someone. Or someone was keen to be a Saint (unlikely at the moment) and we could get them cheaply.
Agree with Fisherfan here...

I reckon we really lack a bit of quality in terms of 20th-30th players on our list. In this bracket we need about 6-7 reliable 23-27 year old players that can perform a job reasonably well and play very well on occasion as well as a few youngsters who seem ready to step up...IMO, we lack on the reliable middle age third tier players: Birss? X Clarke? Fiora? Blake? Rix? That part of our list can be improved substantially and should be.

The Saints are coming!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:[

he retired didn't he.....?????.........anyway...just a hack.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Carlton have de-listed David Teague...
just a couple of seasons ago was showing a fair bit of promise as a hard-at-it, courageous half-back flanker who was more than capable of performing shut-down roles. Not quite sure as to why he hasn't come on as I (For one) was expecting, particularly at Carlton, but would he be worth a chance with a late draft pick? I think he would only be around 24-25 years of age?

The Saints are coming!
QueenC
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintsrule wrote:Michael Newton or this kid from wes coast matt spangher
Micheal Newton sounds good. Has been at the demons 3 years and has finally become a regular. Looks like he may be very good. If we give them a third round plus say Raymond they will jump at that.
I so hope you are pulling my leg with this because......

No they wouldn't :shock: