GT sympathisers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
meher baba wrote:I continue to believe strongly that the decision to sack GT last year was misguided and totally wrong.
I'm with you on this, too, mb. a very poor decision that has probably cost us a crack at the flag this season.

but it's like a relationship bust up and eventually you have to move on whether you like it or not.

RL gets 2008 to prove he is the man for the job ... for RB's sake, let's hope he is ... he's probably staked his presidency on the decision to fix something that wasn't broken.
Can't Agree..respect where GT took our club in his time but it was time to change direction and I don't believe the team would have fared any better this year if had continued...still believe that given all the circumstances that Lyon did an admirable job and that things will move forward from here...the thing that pisses me off is that any talk of GT is now totally irrelevant and counterproductive...who cares he is no longer coach of our club and we need to move forward as a group...fULLSTOP!!! :evil:
Last edited by saint patrick on Thu 06 Sep 2007 10:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
quite untrue about the GT haters always bringing him up.
precisely

correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Thomas launch legal proceedings today, that's this very day, you know Thursday against the football club, you know the one he says he loves and would never do anything to hurt, trying to claim $270,000 which consisted of $167,000 in holiday pay after he'd even previously signed a statury declaration stating that he had been paid ALL holiday pay owing to him, after he's already been paid over 2.5 million dollars for his services already, which included three all expenses overseas holidays disguised as training camps and that to a complete novice mind you, straight up right off the bat, from the get go

oh yeah that's right we just keep bringing him up out of nowhere, dear Grant the saviour hasn't said boo all year now has he?

the writ he served TODAY on the football club, hardly worth a mention really, ho hum

lets' all drink the poisoned cordial and leave our sneekers by the bed
Last edited by barks4eva on Thu 06 Sep 2007 10:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
mischa
Club Player

St.Kenny wrote:Yes 'Sainternist' I agree wholeheartedly !

I too now believe everything Caroline 'gossip queen' Wilson and Patrick 'the self righteous' Smith have said about GT all along.

GT is a very naughty boy because infact he stopped us gettin to the finals !!
Great post. Couldn't agree more. I think what Grant Thomas achieved under the sort of pressure/abuse that no-one else in AFL has had to deal with from day one is quite extrodinary. And so it continues......

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:

I too now believe everything Caroline 'gossip queen' Wilson and Patrick 'the self righteous' Smith have said about GT all along.

Great post. Couldn't agree more. I think what Grant Thomas achieved under the sort of pressure/abuse that no-one else in AFL has had to deal with from day one is quite extrodinary. And so it continues......
and so does bline stupidity. wake up!

“Yeah….nah””
barneyboyz
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Sainternist, I'm happy to kill the thread before they put you through the mincer...although too big a part of me agrees with them to do that.

Ole!
So I'm getting put through "the mincer" for voicing my opinion about that pr*ck am I?

So be it... I couldn't care less about mob mentality on an internet forum.

If I was complete nerd, perhaps then I'd would be shaking in my boots over the prospect facing the wrath of the forum.

Step right up, folks...
Take your best cyber swing :lol:

p.s. quite untrue about the GT haters always bringing him up. There were times throughout the season when the GT sympathisers were acting like saps "If only GT was still here... boo hoo wah wah".
Correct Sainternist.........but let them bleat on.....WHEN Lyon delivers success...simply remember who THEY are.......
It's even better when all three are brought up in the one thread, as we don't have to move back and forward; I thought Ross appeared to be just tweaking the throttles at times this year, only to let his foot off the gas, I don't think for a minute 2007 was in his plans to have a crack at the big'un, very clever indeed

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
quite untrue about the GT haters always bringing him up.
precisely

correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Thomas launch legal proceedings today, that's this very day, you know Thursday against the football club, you know the one he says he loves and would never do anything to hurt, trying to claim $270,000 which consisted of $167,000 in holiday pay after he'd even previously signed a statury declaration stating that he had been paid ALL holiday pay owing to him, after he's already been paid over 2.5 million dollars for his services already, which included three all expenses overseas holidays disguised as training camps and that to a complete novice mind you, straight up right off the bat, from the get go

oh yeah that's right we just keep bringing him up out of nowhere, dear Grant the saviour hasn't said boo all year now has he?

the writ he served TODAY on the football club, hardly worth a mention really, ho hum

lets' all drink the poisoned cordial and leave our sneekers by the bed
You are sad sad man.Have you anything else to say or do just think about GT day and night. Please leave us all alone you sad and lonely person.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote:I thought Ross appeared to be just tweaking the throttles at times this year, only to let his foot off the gas, I don't think for a minute 2007 was in his plans to have a crack at the big'un, very clever indeed
all part of his master plan, hey?

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

barks4eva wrote:lets' all drink the poisoned cordial and leave our
sneekers by the bed
After you, Andrew. :wink:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
mischa wrote:

and so does bline stupidity. wake up!
lol!

Don't worry Teff, he never will wake up to the reality.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Behind Play
Club Player

New slogan for GT:

PACK UP & PISS OFF

stinger
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:It's funny, because the people who don't like him are the ones who are obsessed about him the most, and continually bring him it up...almost like he still works at the club.

I'm also noting that there's a lot of people who say "I backed GT 100%, and whilst also I'm behind Lyon, I don't see why you can't be positive about them both."

A good attitude, I reckon. Being pro one of them shouldn't have to mean being anti the other.
\

great post once again everton...you are fast becoming the voice of reason around here...even if you are a scum journo...and a lover of that boring round ball game...guess not everyone can be perfect....so few of us around these days.... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
asiu

hard to be humble shark , when yr perfect in every way , ay?

:lol:

Iratedebate
Club Player

You better add the man himself and his own ego to your list.

Remember without the "ego"driven Butters... ...Grant would NEVER have coached an AFL club.

How many have sought him out this year when there has been 4 jobs up for grab if he'sthe saviour you have him down for??????????...and what do they know and see that we were to stupid to?

Lets be real - Grant was GIFTED some super kids via the draft, a younger Gehrig, Hamill, Harvey, Voss, Peckett, Powell, Thompson, Hudgton and FAILED to fix our injury situation over 5 yrs as head coach on $4ook a year even AFTER being given control for his own appointments in the fitness area by the Board.

He's no messiah thats for sure.
Great post. If Grant was the messiah that some on here portray, there would have been 4 clubs knocking his door down for his services.
On last count no one seemed too interested in his services. I think most clubs realise that GT was GIFTED some very good senior players due to the inclusion of Malcolm Blight. He was also GIFTED some of the best young talent assembled at one club due to previous poor performances. He claimed to be building a team for 10 yrs of sustainable success, but as soon as he thought we had a list capable of competing for the flag he topped up and traded away draft picks.
Make no mistake, due to GT's poor recruiting he has set our club backwards and has left our list terribly unbalanced. In GT's last three seasons at the club only Sam Gilbert looks likely to be a long term 200+ game player for the club. One player of substance added in 3yrs, even the GT worshippers cant be happy with that.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I continue to believe strongly that the decision to sack GT last year was misguided and totally wrong.

Does this mean that I "sympathise" with GT? I have never met the man and have mixed feelings about what I have seen of his personaility as it has come across in the media: especially lately, when I think he has made some ill-judged public comments. But this hasn't materially altered my views that the decision of September last year was a major mistake.

Has he been undermining the club behind the scenes? We really only have the words of Rod Butterss, Archie Fraser and Caroline Wilson to back this claim. Sorry, but I don't see any of them as being particularly reliable sources. So my views on his sacking haven't changed.

As regards GT's various legal actions against Butterss and the Club: I don't feel that I have learned enough from the media coverage to have a firm view as to the rights and wrongs of these. I am surprised at how many on this forum seem to jump so quickly to an anti-GT conclusion on the basis of incomplete evidence.

So, all things considered, I remain totally convinced that GT shouldn't have been sacked from his position as coach last year.

As for GT the man: to be brutally honest, on the basis of what I've seen, he seems to be a major prat.

But then so does Mark Williams, and I certainly wouldn't mind having him as coach at our club.
Far too reasoned a post - please leave ;)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well no wonder as you:
*lay the trading blunders at JBs feet
*no doubt think the lack of strategy was Rendells fault
* that the huge soft tisse toll was training services fault (despite GT having demaded fom the Board resposnisbility and accountability for it)

Leaving GT free to be the expert on contracts......despite the fact he now claims he did not even understand the consequences of his own!!!

GT was the HEAD coach......he set the flavour and direction...and was accountable for anything delegated.

In other words he was not competent.

He had talked his way into the job dues to his sales skills....and was found wanting DESPITE the various PlayerLottos that he was gifted with.

Wiliams by CONTRAST knows how to BUILD a list (something I posted on a while back and had a few forumites ridicule me on......) Willims ADDS VALUE....GT DESTROYS value....wherever he has been TROUBLE has festered. He is either very unlucky...or more likely is the CAUSE.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Iratedebate wrote:

Remember without the "ego"driven Butters... ...Grant would NEVER have coached an AFL club.

How many have sought him out this year when there has been 4 jobs up for grab if he'sthe saviour you have him down for??????????...and what do they know and see that we were to stupid to?

Lets be real - Grant was GIFTED some super kids via the draft, a younger Gehrig, Hamill, Harvey, Voss, Peckett, Powell, Thompson, Hudgton and FAILED to fix our injury situation over 5 yrs as head coach on $4ook a year even AFTER being given control for his own appointments in the fitness area by the Board.

Great post. If Grant was the messiah that some on here portray, there would have been 4 clubs knocking his door down for his services.
On last count no one seemed too interested in his services. I think most clubs realise that GT was GIFTED some very good senior players due to the inclusion of Malcolm Blight. He was also GIFTED some of the best young talent assembled at one club due to previous poor performances. He claimed to be building a team for 10 yrs of sustainable success, but as soon as he thought we had a list capable of competing for the flag he topped up and traded away draft picks.
Make no mistake, due to GT's poor recruiting he has set our club backwards and has left our list terribly unbalanced. In GT's last three seasons at the club only Sam Gilbert looks likely to be a long term 200+ game player for the club. One player of substance added in 3yrs, even the GT worshippers cant be happy with that.
They blame that on John Beverage. Grant wasnt even at home at the time according to the GT deciples.... :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

We wouldn't be the club we are today without the involvement of GT - I think many of you should kiss his arse! 8-) :twisted: :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Shaggy
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
GT was the HEAD coach......he set the flavour and direction...and was accountable for anything delegated.

In other words he was not competent.
Bizarre analysis.

GT took over a team which had only won 6 games in the previous 2 years. Within 3 years he had us in the finals. Within 4 years IMO he probably would have had a premiership if not for losing 3 players in each of the Fremantle and Adelaide games. In his final year we won 8 of our last 10 home and away games.

First year we don’t have GT as coach and we are back to being out of the finals.

No-one knows whether he would have taken us to a premiership if he stayed but he was more than a competent coach … as his record and player support (including Aussie and Frankie) proves.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:I think many of you should kiss his arse!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, but no thanks.

However, if you don't mind getting your nose a little browned, go right ahead.

And to all those lamenting about GT the one who "took us places rah rah rah...", why not reflect on Stan Alves for a change, and what he did for the club?

At least Stan coached us to a GF.
Stan also didn't put on a song and a dance after getting fired.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Shaggy
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: And to all those lamenting about GT the one who "took us places rah rah rah...", why not reflect on Stan Alves for a change, and what he did for the club?

At least Stan coached us to a GF.
Stan also didn't put on a song and a dance after getting fired.
Kenny, Stan and GT were all good coaches.

And Stan did make a bit of a song and dance after being fired :D .

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Iratedebate wrote:

And the recruiting was better this year. Let me think Gardiner, Clarke, Birss, Howard, Armo. All had great years.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:We wouldn't be the club we are today without the involvement of GT -

Yeah, that's entirely my point
I think many of you should kiss his arse! 8-) :twisted: :D

You would need to book way ahead obviously

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
mischa
Club Player

Shaggy wrote:Kenny, Stan and GT were all good coaches.

And Stan did make a bit of a song and dance after being fired :D .
Correct. And the same thing got them all fired...power (the battle for). Stan said as much re: who gets credit for what. Maybe RL will be luckier.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:hard to be humble shark , when yr perfect in every way , ay?

:lol:
sure is.......but we are members of a very small minority around here......
just you and me gazza...just you and me..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
And the recruiting was better this year. Let me think Gardiner, Clarke, Birss, Howard, Armo. All had great years.
I don't think you can always expect a player to perform in the year he was drafted. The older ones yes....the younger ones no.

Add Allen.....and rookie Attard prooved capable........and Van Reehan and Geary look like they may become players.

How about 2004?

St Kilda Draft Selections 2004

17- St Kilda: Andrew McQualter (Gippsland Power)
33- St Kilda: Cain Ackland (Port Adelaide)
49- St Kilda: Mark McGough (Collingwood)
63- St Kilda: James Gwilt (Noble Park)
71- St Kilda: Pass
76- St Kilda: Pass

Rookie Draft
14- St Kilda Luke Mullins (Collingwood)
30- St Kilda Ed McDonnell (Western Magpies)
44- Pass
55- Pass

Or 2005??

St Kilda Draft Selections 2005
17- St Kilda Trade: Fergus Watts (Adelaide)
33- St Kilda: Sam Gilbert (Southport)
49- St Kilda: Michael Rix (Coburg)
63- St Kilda: Phillip Raymond (Glenelg)
71- St Kilda: Justin Sweeney (TYABB)
76- St Kilda: Pass

rookies = duds..

Now in last years draft Ross came in half way through trade week...so this year draft will be his first full draft.

Of his first draft I would think that Armo, Allen, Gardiner, Birss and Attard will all play quitea few saints games. Birrs once he got fully fit looked a handy type.

Van Reehan and geary are both good chances too.

Howard I just do not know about yet.....

Now I could be wrong....but I think that the 2006 crop of draftees/trades is going to playa lot more AFL football for the saints than the 2004 and 2005 crops.......even with allowng for Armo beinga pick 8 vsa pick 17 in those. So delete him...and I would still expect more.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....