Why do people hate/obsessed with Geelong?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stevos2151
Club Player

Why do people hate/obsessed with Geelong?

Just wondering. Where does all this hate come from?

I hope Geelong wins the damn thing.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

de ja vue we had a post on this a month ago.

Because we thought we had the best young list as did they. Chappy came out and said crap about it and it all got rolling from there. (mind you last year we were right this year they are right). Give them the injuries we have had and see how good they are!

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i hate them because their supporters are pricks, they're arrogant and i'm jealous of the fact that all the father's from a past era like a root since they have their share of father son selections.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

as a person of a certain vintage I have a few friends who like saints supporters have suffered long enough

I dreaded in 97 that we were going to play them in the gf, and stress the friendships, but for the leigh colbert mark we should have, anyway thats another story

I hope they win and win easily this year, the other main players have all had recent success

They are an enjoyable team to watch at the moment with abletts *2, mooney, scarlett, harley etc

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Mine stems from 5 years ago when I found myself in Geelong for the weekend and wandered down on the Sat Afternoon to Kardinia Park to see the Cats play (I can't remember against who). We (6 of us) stood in the outer with the 'locals' and a new found hatred of these 'in-bred Cat supporting scum' was formed.
They obviously had been living in a 'time-warp' down there in pussyland. It was like entering the wild days of the 60's/70's. If you had a differing opinion to them, or didn't barrack for the pussies loud enough, they wanted to punch you. Not just 1 or 2 either - there were scores of them around us and the worst thing is they all looked the same! Thank heavens we didn't barrack for the opposition.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

They started it.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

riccardo wrote:They started it.
you still in grade 3 ric?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

fonz_#15 wrote:
that just begs for the grade 3 defence of - i know you are, you said you are what am I. :wink:

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
Saracsm detector on the blink today, is it?

I'm not the one with the grammar of a grade schooler. :roll:

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

That whining sook Mark Thompson always tried to sink the boots into us over 'all those No.1 draft picks' when he had the benefit of father/son selections that all would have been top 10 picks (plus they still had their 1st round picks).

Case in point last year... get Tom Hawkins (who would have been no1 for a 2nd round pick).. Joel Selwood falls into their laps at 7...suck holes.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Reflects badly on this football club and its supporters that we're actually agreeing to be involved in some kind of rivalry with Geelong.

As if we care about them one iota?

I hate how far we've sunk. They're a nothing club to us.

I wish them all the best for the finals series and hope they play as well as they can.
Last edited by evertonfc on Thu 06 Sep 2007 2:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Animal Enclosure wrote:That whining sook Mark Thompson always tried to sink the boots into us over 'all those No.1 draft picks' when he had the benefit of father/son selections that all would have been top 10 picks (plus they still had their 1st round picks).

Case in point last year... get Tom Hawkins (who would have been no1 for a 2nd round pick).. Joel Selwood falls into their laps at 7...suck holes.
Perfect reason, I agree

Before Im 85
StSteven
Club Player

I don't hate them I am jealous of them. We were the heroes a cou[le of years ago and we were going to win 3 Premierships in next 10 years. (Remember GT"s " I can smell them..." quote.

Now everybody i simpressed with their team and rightly so. They have done an exceptional job.

Also "Joel Selwood falls into their laps at 7.." is rubbish. It was excellent recruitment, six other clubs passed him up. No club would have picked up Nathan Ablett, Gary Ablett at the start of their season.

Thompson has to be creditted with recruiting and developing a list that was not rated compared to ours and bought them to premiership favourites after an outstanding season.

The final step for them has not been achieved yet.

Although it hurts, good luck to them.......

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Reflects badly on this football club and its supporters that we're actually agreeing to be involved in some kind of rivalry with Geelong.

As if we care about them one iota?

I hate how far we've sunk. They're a nothing club to us.

I wish them all the best for the finals series and hope they play as well as they can.
I must admit, Geelong supporters were the reason I hate Geelong, but they are being too sensible this year and I'm finding myself not hating them as much.

Maybe I'l just let someone else start the "I hate Geelong" thread next time.... I dunno - I can just sort of see things from their POV now. I'd hate to lose five grand finals in eighteen years, especially not having won one for ages. Usually when I think that, I read comments from morons on bigfooty or something about them gloating or something but it just doesn't happen anymore.

They are far too conservative.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Right on, Animal Enclosure. I got sick to death of hearing Thompson whining on about our priority picks (two in 20 years of the draft), and about the fact that they had to develop their list with first round picks between numbers 7 and 12. Boo bloody hoo.

The fact is that they got the following players for nothing, while still having their first round picks for those years. That's effectively 5 free first round picks. Who else has had it so good, I ask you?

Gary Ablett
Nathan Ablett
Mark Blake
Tom Hawkins
Matthew Scarlett

I do NOT want those cats holding up the cup.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

'Also "Joel Selwood falls into their laps at 7.." is rubbish. It was excellent recruitment, six other clubs passed him up. No club would have
picked up Nathan Ablett, Gary Ablett at the start of their season. '

Point is St.Steven, Geelong ended up with 2 top ten picks in 2006. Add that to Scarlett, Blake, Ablett (X2), etc in previous years who they picked up as 3rd round picks when all of them would have gone to other clubs in the 1st round. So they got a free hit at some of the best kids twice. You must be kidding that no other club would have recruited the Ablett Brothers! What planet are you living on?

Good luck to them for having these father/sons coming through...I actually support the rule. My problem with Geelong started when Thompson started on this St.Kilda have benefitted from all these priority & No 1 draft picks and tries to pump up his own tires by creating the myth that Geelong built their list without the help of any early draft picks!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

it's all good.

some healthy rivalry is what makes it fun to go to games.

love 'em or hate 'em, they have proved to be a great football force this year.

the prospect of them winning the big one really doesn't bother me to be honest.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

I don't hate Geelong - hope they win it this year - just wish Selwood had lasted to pick 9 :shock:

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think its because they are Geelong and will probably blow it again during the finals.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Go Cats

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Who needs a reason to hate geelong ?

Even mark thompson refuses to live there, I believe he doesn't think much of the locals himself.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I hate Geelong because they all vote Liberal. Even the Labor voters do also apparently.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I hate Geelong because they all vote Liberal. Even the Labor voters do also apparently.
Blue & white, nuff said !

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I think its because they are Geelong and will probably blow it again during the finals.
That's it: some sense at last!! Some of you young fellers are trying to bring recent history into it.

The reason everyone - not just St Kilda fans - hates Geelong is because they are, and have always been, L.O.S.E.R.S. They get into a position where they might win something, and then they choke big time.

Also, their all-time greatest player - G Ablett Snr - is about the only human on earth who could make even Wayne Carey look like a role model for young kids.

And, after they have lost, they don't grin and bear it: they become sullen and start lashing out. And they have been behaving in this way since 55 BC or whenever it was that they last won a premiership.

We are cheerful losers, as are - in their own (rather bizarre) way, the Filth supporters. But Geelong are nasty, whining, feral, inbred, sullen, passive aggressive and all round bad sports. And, most importantly of all, losers.

Imagine anyone having even to ask why we hate Geelong.

As Rene Decartes should have said, "Cogito ergo Geelong odi". (I think, therefore I hate Geelong).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Viking3
Club Player

I bl**dy well hate them. Some have alluded to it already. Started in 2004 really. Said they had the better young guns then took a pot shot at Hamill before the Wizard Cup Grand Final about coming off the line. They were the one's doing the sniping in the final. They lead for most of it and we over ran them in the last quarter. Chapman then came out and said they were still better and we were lucky to win. Round 1 we played them again, Scarlett dropped Rooey behind play. Was cleared because whilst seeing him swing his fist and Rooey hit the deck and throw up from the blow to the throat, the actual contact was blurred by another player. "Sorry, but we couldn't see what part of his fist hit him so we have to clear him". But we still belted them by about 10 goals. Yes, I don't forgive or forget that kind of shyte.
Go Saints!!

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.