Bally's surgery today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Bally's surgery today

Ch10 news reporting that Ball was due to go in for Surgery today in Sydney. Seeing the same guy who operated on M. Voss.

Dal'sGal26
Club Player

Saw the coverage on Channel 10. Good to see him finally being operated on and hopefully he can be back to his best next season!

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Best wishes, Luke.
You're far too brave for your own good.
I hope all goes well and you're soon back to playing the awe-inspiring football that you're capable of.

GO SAINTS!!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Good on ya Luke, we need a fully fit Ball!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
loving_the_dal
Club Player

Good luck with the surgery lukey..
hope everything goes to plan!!
:)

Lynch Beast
Club Player

Hopefully Judd can have the same thing post season

hate to watch these guys being so far below their best

don't care if he misses the first month or 2 of football as long as he get it right

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

If anyone forgets how good Luke Ball is when 100% fit, have a look at Joel Selwood. Both very very similar in terms of footy smarts, hardness & value to their teams. Bally's first full year was just as good as Selwood's this year and I think we all acknowledge how good he has been. It burns that those smug sucks down the highway picked him up.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i am slightly dissapointed it took this long for him to have the op

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
crowjelly
Club Player

No doubt that Bally has the balls to get through this op. Hopefully the surgeon does not ballsitup, so that Bally is back next year getting the ball, and not hearing the call - ball, but rather go Bally!

All the best to you Luke.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Lynch Beast wrote:Hopefully Judd can have the same thing post season

don't care if he misses the first month or 2 of football as long as he get it right
Nah, Juddy has to struggle with it for 3 years. :)

Megamaguire
Club Player

Bally ripe for some luck

Great to hear that Luke is giving himself a chance to get over this debilitating scourge o.p.

Who could measure the impact he may have already had on the competition and at our club if he had been spared the rotten o.p.

Things will turn in your favour Bally. All the very best. Give yourself the full time to repair.

Also all the best to the tenacious J. Attard. I came to really enjoy his presence in the first 22 in '07. Attas is the perfect replacement for Andrew Thompson. Looking forward to Attard taking the next step up.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bally ripe for some luck

Megamaguire wrote:Great to hear that Luke is giving himself a chance to get over this debilitating scourge o.p.

!
I think the surgery is/was for Tendonitis of his Abductor rather than for OP...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Lynch Beast wrote:Hopefully Judd can have the same thing post season

Nah, Juddy has to struggle with it for 3 years. :)
yeah prob after we sign him for 3 years !?!
lynchbeast would you accecpt him getting it done now and missing the finals to get it right or is it just the start of the season you dont care if hes missing ???

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bally ripe for some luck

saintsRrising wrote:I think the surgery is/was for Tendonitis of his Abductor rather than for OP...
Correct, thought it was Adductor though.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

does anyone know a time frame of when he should be able to get back to full training and do a decent pre-season for next year?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:i am slightly dissapointed it took this long for him to have the op
spot on, so am I, this is the crux of the issue....sounds like it could've/should've been done at the end of last season.

I wonder if the delay has in part due to our poor "training services" strutcure under the past coach??

Surely if surgery is necessary, Bally should've been encouraged very heavily to have it done....to the point where if he doesn't get it done, he'll be on the outer so to speak......I understand Bally didn't want to have surgery (don't blame him - nasty area to get operated on!), but it really this wasn't an option and surely this would've been obvious a year ago???

I now assume Judd will have surgery also post the WCE finals campaign, and assuming all goes well both players will be firing in 2008.

BUT.....Judd will have wasted only half a season as opposed to two for Bally!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:i am slightly dissapointed it took this long for him to have the op
spot on, so am I, this is the crux of the issue....sounds like it could've/should've been done at the end of last season.

I wonder if the delay has in part due to our poor "training services" strutcure under the past coach??

Surely if surgery is necessary, Bally should've been encouraged very heavily to have it done....to the point where if he doesn't get it done, he'll be on the outer so to speak......I understand Bally didn't want to have surgery (don't blame him - nasty area to get operated on!), but it really this wasn't an option and surely this would've been obvious a year ago???

I now assume Judd will have surgery also post the WCE finals campaign, and assuming all goes well both players will be firing in 2008.

BUT.....Judd will have wasted only half a season as opposed to two for Bally!!!
Do we know for sure that they have the same problem?? Ball is getting work on his adductor to ease pressure in his groin. OP is a degenerative issue, once the tissue and tendon are gone they dont grow back, they have to be managed and manipulated... Ironically, Ball did his stomach/adductor injury last year chasing Judd...

I recall M. Voss having similar surgery to what Ball is about 6 years ago, and he came back as good as ever.. Lets home this holds true with Luke as well...

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

sobraz same surgen as on ball too.

asiu

i read somewhere that it was luke's call ......ie: desiring to try all alternatives before surgery

finally has chosen surgery

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:

Do we know for sure that they have the same problem?? Ball is getting work on his adductor to ease pressure in his groin. OP is a degenerative issue, once the tissue and tendon are gone they dont grow back, they have to be managed and manipulated... Ironically, Ball did his stomach/adductor injury last year chasing Judd...
I cannot tell you what is wrong with Judd.

However I spoke with an ex-saints Club Doc last night who is a surgeon....and he indicated that it was the tendon that was being operated on.

On the medical front (and a disclaimer here that he is not the CURRENT doc and so had not seen medical files etc...):

*The type of operation that Ball is having is very likely to be successful. There has been huge advances in this area mainly driven from European soccer experience where Ball's type of injury is very commom due to soccer players doing lots of short sharp sprints combined with twisting and turning..

*Gardiners feet should be fine

*Hamills knees are bone on bone...and he will most likely have to have complete knee reconstruction with 10 years. Basically his knees are being destroyed. however because his knees are so rooted he basically cannot stuff them up much more asa complete knee job is inevitable anyway...it is just a matter of when rather than if. Whether he can play AFL again or not is unknown..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: *Hamills knees are bone on bone...and he will most likely have to have complete knee reconstruction with 10 years. Basically his knees are being destroyed. however because his knees are so rooted he basically cannot stuff them up much more asa complete knee job is inevitable anyway...it is just a matter of when rather than if. Whether he can play AFL again or not is unknown..
Thats encouraging. :roll:

Feel very bad for both himself and the club in general, but most of all for his little girl.

Daddy won't be able to run around and play with his child as well as he could (and should), that is probably the most unfortunate thing of all.

Nick_Riewoldt#12

lets all pray that it goes good

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:If anyone forgets how good Luke Ball is when 100% fit, have a look at Joel Selwood. Both very very similar in terms of footy smarts, hardness & value to their teams. Bally's first full year was just as good as Selwood's this year and I think we all acknowledge how good he has been. It burns that those smug sucks down the highway picked him up.
Animal Enclosure, just wait for the next Selwood, he's apparantly better than Joel!

Go saints in '09!
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Nick_Riewoldt#12 wrote:lets all pray that it goes good
ummm you seem to have the same avatar as me... this has got to be homework?

can you please change it, its confusing to other readers etc! thanks

Go saints in '09!
supersaints
Club Player

I hope - no I pray, that Bally can get back somewhere near his best, and we can see the champion we recruited, all the best Bally !

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!