have a real sook, eddie...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

have a real sook, eddie...

ffs.........crap side...with crap players....

.....Snub riles Pies boss

Jake Niall | September 5, 2007

COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire has described as a "disgrace" the AFL's All-Australian squad of 40, which does not contain a single Magpie player.

The squad from which the final 22 all-Australians will be selected is highlighted by Geelong's nine nominees and the failure by three clubs — Carlton, Melbourne and sixth-placed Collingwood — to gain a nomination.

"It's a disgrace — we're sick of it," said McGuire, who added that the Magpies were tired of being overlooked in official teams, after missing out for the AFL team of the century.

"I said to our coach, 'You watch, we'll get it in the neck again'," McGuire said. "You've got to be joking — not one of the Collingwood players are among the top 40 players of the year?"

McGuire said that if no Collingwood player was worthy of the squad, then Mick Malthouse must surely be the coach of the year. "If that's the case, then Mick Malthouse must be Vince Lombardi, Jock McHale and Alex Ferguson rolled into one.

"You would have thought they would have learned their lesson from the team of the century. That was an absolute disgrace."

McGuire said it was a "farce" and that "the AFL needs to totally review their selection criteria in a number of areas". Last year, Collingwood had one All-Australian, small forward Alan Didak.

Selector Gerard Healy said Collingwood midfielder Tarkyn Lockyer was particularly unlucky to miss out on the final squad of 40. "He was one of the last two or three to be knocked out," Healy said on 3AW last night. The All-Australian selectors are Healy, Kevin Bartlett, Robert Walls, Mark Bickley, Chris Mainwaring, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou, football operations manager Adrian Anderson and football administration manager Rod Austin.

Geelong's domination of the competition has been reflected in the All-Australian nominee squad. The Cats have more than double the representation of the next best teams — Hawthorn and Port Adelaide (four each). The Brisbane Lions, the Kangaroos, St Kilda, Sydney and West Coast have three nominees each, Essendon, Fremantle and Richmond have two apiece and the Western Bulldogs one.

Under the new system for selecting an All-Australian team, the selectors chose a squad of 40 comprised of 12 defenders, 12 forwards and 16 midfielders or ruckmen.

The final 22 will be comprised of six defenders, six forwards, six midfielders, a ruck and four interchange.

Remarkably, the distinguished careers of Jonathan Brown, Daniel Kerr and Scott Lucas have not resulted in All-Australian selection before.

From the 40-player squad, the 22 players who have not been All-Australians before are Jed Adcock (Brisbane), Nathan Foley (Richmond), Campbell Brown, Lance Franklin, Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn), Sam Fisher (St Kilda), Roger Hayden (Fremantle), Nick Malceski (Sydney), Matthew Egan, Darren Milburn, Steven Johnson, Cameron Mooney, Gary Ablett, James Bartel, Joel Corey, Cameron Ling (Geelong), Brett Ebert (Port Adelaide), Corey Jones, Hamish McIntosh (Kangaroos), Lucas (Essendon), Brown (Brisbane Lions) and Kerr (West Coast).

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintDal
Club Player

I'm so happy :D

JeffDunne

I admire Ed because he's prepared to call a spade a spade and stand up for his players and club.

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Given the choice between having no players in the AA team and getting 14 straight games in Melbourne, I know what I'd pick.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
noreason41
Club Player

It is remarkable. That the team who finished 6th, does not have one player inside the 40.
How Shaw & Lockyer missed out, is a mystery.

Saint Mik
Club Player

Very even contribution from all the players is the reason why Ed stop complaining.

No one in the team of century either :lol:

No one in the top 40 players this morning and there nab nomination is going to just miss out this arvo and there team is going to miss out this weekend :D

Better save your energy Ed its going to be a big week, go and rest up your chins and save it till next Monday you loser i cant wait to hear you scream and turn purple.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I admire Ed because he's prepared to call a spade a spade and stand up for his players and club.
Amen to that. If Collingwood get a rough deal, he's the first to stand up.

To all those who bag him, eugh, f****** get a grip on reality. This man breaks his neck for Collingwood. I wish we had that kind of commitment from our playing group, board and staff.

He will never let Collingwood down and never let them off the front page.

An absolute gun. A born winner who makes things happen, instead of pretending he's an internet hero.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:An absolute gun. A born winner who makes things happen, instead of pretending he's an internet hero.
No he's not, he's nothing but a conflicted, obnoxious, greedy fat cun ...

Oh my God, I'm pretending I'm an internet hero!!

Oh evertonfc, you rascal. You've got us every which way we turn. :roll: :wink:

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:Oh evertonfc, you rascal. You've got us every which way we turn.

Ooooooooh yeah!

fingers
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:I admire Ed because he's prepared to call a spade a spade and stand up for his players and club.

To all those who bag him, eugh, f****** get a grip on reality. This man breaks his neck for Collingwood. I wish we had that kind of commitment from our playing group, board and staff.

An absolute gun. A born winner who makes things happen, instead of pretending he's an internet hero.
I'm with you ...as much as I hat the filth - I admire his passion and what he puts into that club.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

noreason41 wrote:It is remarkable. That the team who finished 6th, does not have one player inside the 40.
Who would you knock out of the top 40 to get them in?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
noreason41 wrote:It is remarkable. That the team who finished 6th, does not have one player inside the 40.
Dal Santo, surely.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Roger Hayden a better year than Lockyer? What a joke. Lockyer should be in the final 22 let alone the sqaud of 40.

noreason41
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote:
Hayden for Shaw.

Dal Santo, Kerr(17 games) or Lappin (18 games) for Lockyer.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I must say that the selection of Hayden ahead of any number of others is pretty mystifying. Shaw would be far better value.

Re: Dal Santo, Kerr and Lappin. I know none of them had their best seasons, and that Lockyer had a pretty good season, but the All-Australian process is about choosing a team: the Brownlow Medal is the best and fairest competition.

I am sure that 16 out of 16 coaches in the AFL would sooner have any of Dal, Kerr and Lappin in their team ahead of Lockyer. At the end of the day, they are better players who are more likely to tear a hole in your opposition.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Prodgers
Club Player

I guess that really shows that Collingwood have played really well as a team with all of them contributing to winning games of footy... id rather be playing finals then have 3 blokes in AA and not make the finals... Good on Ed for having a go, i wish our club did that more often

noreason41
Club Player

meher baba wrote:I must say that the selection of Hayden ahead of any number of others is pretty mystifying. Shaw would be far better value.

Re: Dal Santo, Kerr and Lappin. I know none of them had their best seasons, and that Lockyer had a pretty good season, but the All-Australian process is about choosing a team: the Brownlow Medal is the best and fairest competition.

I am sure that 16 out of 16 coaches in the AFL would sooner have any of Dal, Kerr and Lappin in their team ahead of Lockyer. At the end of the day, they are better players who are more likely to tear a hole in your opposition.
I agree.

However, All Australian selection is based on the best players of the year. In this case, neither Kerr nor Lappin played the full 22 games and neither of them had brilliant seasons (though both were excellent at times). Lockyer had a consistently good season, and this year, deserved to at least be in the 40.

ifonlybarkswashere
Club Player

Prodgers wrote: Good on Ed for having a go, i wish our club did that more often
Agree... What is he supposed to do...say nothing? If Ed was at the helm of the Saints would there have been a different approach to the Stevie Baker debacle?

...bugger me age and me cranky ways
I'll send my bones to the contest again
SaintWodonga
Club Player

What's he sooking about? They get enough favours from the AFL.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

Thats the point though. Eddie has tunnel vision, he dosen't give a stuff about the competition in general or any of the other teams, just himself and Collingwood.

I respect what he has done for his club, but his contribution to the game at large is bereft of any achievment other than holding the game to ransom to his own self serving ends. Its sickening, really.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:I respect what he has done for his club, but his contribution to the game at large is bereft of any achievment other than holding the game to ransom to his own self serving ends. Its sickening, really.
What a bizzarre post. He's Collingwood president. It's his job to work in the best interests for Collingwood. That's what he does.

Riccardo, you're a notorious McGuire hater, but even you should realise it's a commendable trait that he doesn't just bend over and spread his legs apart when Demetriou comes knocking.

He stands up and fights for his members and his club. I would kill to have St Kilda people doing what McGuire does.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
riccardo wrote:I respect what he has done for his club, but his contribution to the game at large is bereft of any achievment other than holding the game to ransom to his own self serving ends. Its sickening, really.
What a bizzarre post. He's Collingwood president. It's his job to work in the best interests for Collingwood. That's what he does.

Riccardo, you're a notorious McGuire hater, but even you should realise it's a commendable trait that he doesn't just bend over and spread his legs apart when Demetriou comes knocking.

He stands up and fights for his members and his club. I would kill to have St Kilda people doing what McGuire does.
I thought I said I respected what he has done for his club, I've never said anything different. But people saying he has done heaps for the game, etc are wrong, he only serves his own interests. If we are talking identities of the game that have done something for the game at large, I'd take Barrassi or even Sheedy before Ed.

Remind me of this the next time people are upset we can't have a jumper in Heritage round or play on Anzac Day, I see no reason not to hate Eddie, hes done little more than f#ck all for me or mine.

JeffDunne

riccardo, if Eddie says "jump" and the AFL says "how high" . . . who is the fool in this equation?

I think you're directing your weapon at the wrong target.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

As much as I dislike the Filth; I must say I admire Eddie as their Prez.
I wish we'd get in the AFL's face at times. We're too soft; to afraid to rock the boat; for our own good.
The Saints heirarchy need to:
1: GROW SOME BALLS!!!
2: Treat members with the respect they deserve.
3: Learn a trick or two from Eddie.

GO SAINTS!!!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:But people saying he has done heaps for the game, etc are wrong, he only serves his own interests. If we are talking identities of the game that have done something for the game at large, I'd take Barrassi or even Sheedy before Ed.
Eh? What are you talking about? I've never heard anyone say he's done anything for the game.

Forget the anti-tall-poppy bias. We're talking about what he's done for his club. Capiche? This pointless McGuire bashing s***s me no end - if it was jusified, fair enough, but the arguments against him are some of the most feeble and pathetic I've seen.

And BakesFan, if Eddie was our president, your boy would have probably played against West Coast, and almost certainly in Round 1 next year.

The difference betwen being an arse-licker and standing up for yourself and your club, I suppose.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 05 Sep 2007 7:02pm, edited 3 times in total.