Winning the 2008 Flag..........

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Falchoon
Club Player

Winning the 2008 Flag..........

........ whilst hypothetically mortgaging the future

Now I know this is unrealistic, but some lateral thinking

Needs, small forward/ruck/midfield depth/full back.

Assuming the likes of Maguire and Hayes get back to pre injury form, Hayes was almost there in the last 3 games, Maguire a mile off.

Assume Goddard to struggle.

Swap - Goddard for Fevola, absolutely nothing to do with our needs but handy forward line of Kosi/Fev/Riewoldt, they could throw in Lance too :lol:

Red hot tilt at Travis Johnstone or Paul Haselby for midfield depth, our first rotation is solid, our second below average, we need 2 more quality players. Trade bait, Watts and 2nd rounder for 4th rounder.

Ruckman, tricky, pick 9 is too much for most around but pick 9 for 2 players? Say 1st and 3rd round for Charman and Selwood and 4th rounder.

Backmen, too hard basket, hope we keep winning it from the middle.

out Goddard, Watts, 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks

in Fevola, Johnstone, Charman, Selwood and a couple of 4th round picks.

Any chance a flag?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i will be very dissapointed if we were to waste money on players like haselby and johnstone

likewise ever trading bj...he is an absolute gun...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
RooandKosi
Club Player

2008 is our best chance yet.

Many positives and the pressure is OFF.

Brooks must be strongly worked on in pre season!! He could be the key.

Surely we will be fitter with Clarkes, Maguire and Hayes running at 100%.

looking forward to it.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Presuming everything goes well with Goddards knee, it might be mid 2008 before he gets full confidence back. Goose needs a full preseason and a bit of intense coaching to work on his lack of discipline on-field as well as decision making..he has strength and skills, but needs work. Definately need a good fast strong forward/ rover and a quality midfielder and of course a fullback. Otherwise I think RL will have gotten his style across to the players by the start of the 2008 season. After all we were the third best performing team in the last half of the season, so a bit of smart trading,delisting and recruiting should be all we need to have a happening 2008!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I heard Ross on BJ...

He described him as "Our point of difference".......with his height and kicking skills.

Saw him playing wing, hb.......or hf..

I don't think BJ is going anywhere..

I think alo RL's comments indicates that he is looking to develop our strengths....and not just make us a clone as some fear.

Now as to your hypothetical....not a bad one fora one year shot... but two of your 4 players are front runners. we alsready have too many players that are lacking in 4 quarter efforts week in week out.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Is it just me, or are there other posters on here who just can't understand the point of these sort of threads?

What earthly purpose can be served by discussing the merits of trading players who nobody else would want or else are so good our club wouldn't let go in a purple fit for players from other clubs who either wouldn't be available or for whom we would need to put a Kosi or Dal on the trade table?

I might as well start a thread about what might have happened if Archduke Franz Ferdinand hadn't been assassinated at Sarajevo in 1914.

Oh well, I guess it's just a signal that the time has come for me to stop reading Saintsational regularly until something exciting happens at the club (a Board challenge or some such).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

there is only one player i would trade a player or pick for...N.Jones. period.

he is young and tough, and if we could snap him up i would be stoked

Robert Harvey- Simply the best