Draft Choices vs Ready Made Players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Red
Club Player

Draft Choices vs Ready Made Players

Almost everybody on this site believes that a player drafted in the top 10 will be a better player than a 25/26 year old who we know their weaknesses. So I ask you which players drafted top ten in drafts including 2002 are stars?

S.A Saint
Club Player

2002 players dat are good names include:goddard, wells,mcintosh

2003 include: cant find any players but sure there wer good ones

2004 include: deledio, franklin, lewis

2005 included: murphy, thomas, pendlebury, higgins

2006: gibbs, selwood

der are more players dat were not top 10
these are all going to be quality players and few are loooking at all aust this year e.g mcintosh, franklin

out of all thses deledio, goddard, frankiln, murphy wells, mcintosht, homas and prob selwood are all very good players that were in the top 10

i ask you this red, which 25/26 year old do you now is a star that has been drafted or infact will even become one.. not 2 many i believe.

S.A Saint
Club Player

by da way red, i forgot my favourite player Sam Fisher he was taken at no. 55 in 2003 draft
dat is nowhere near 10 and his is a star one of the best players at the club.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

English not your first language SA Saint ??

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
S.A Saint
Club Player

spot on true believer.

Im serbian by da way

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

True Believer wrote:English not your first language SA Saint ??
i was bout to ask dat same question :wink:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

From 1999-2003 (highly rated juniors shouldn't be judged until they have played at least 3 seasons of AFL footy)

1 - Fraser (Good player)
2 - Hasleby (Very good player)
3 - Fiora (GOP)
4 - Pavlich (Star)
5 - L.Brown (GOP)
6 - Cupido (Gone)
7 - Roach (Gone)
8 - Corey (Gun)
9 - Beetham (Gone)
10 - McPharlin (Very good player)

1 - Riewoldt (Star)
2 - Koschitzke (Gun)
3 - Didak (Gun)
4 - Livingston (Gone)
5 - McDougall (Dud)
6 - D.Smith (Gone)
7 - Angwin (Gone)
8 - D.Motlop (Good player)
9 - Pettifer (Good player)
10 - McMahon (Good player)

1 - Hodge (Star)
2 - Ball (Very good player)
3 - Judd (Star)
4 - Polak (Good player)
5 - X.Clarke (Good player)
6 - Sampi (Dud)
7 - Hale (Good player)
8 - Bartel (Star(
9 - Molan (Gone)
10 - Power (GOP)

1 - Goddard (Gun)
2 - Wells (Very good player)
3 - J.Brennan (Good player)
4 - Walsh (Dud)
5 - McVeigh (GOP)
6 - Salopek (Good player)
7 - Mackie (Good player)
8 - L.Brennan GOP)
9 - McIntosh (Gun)
10 - Laycock (Good player)

2003 (These guys should all get better)
1 - Cooney (Good player)
2 - Walker (Good player)
3 - Sylvia (GOP)
4 - Ray (Good player)
5 - McLean (Very good player)
6 - Bradley (Dud)
7 - Tenace (GOP)
8 - R.Clarke (GOP)
9 - Trotter (Dud)
10 - Dunn (NA)

A very good (a chance for AA in a good year) player under 25 is worth a pick from 6-10 IMO.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

salopek has been injury ridden and i think GOP to date but he is growing in stature.

Josh Fraser is star IMO.

x clarke on current form you have overrated also.

Polak has been a gun at richmond after being a gop at freo.

wells on current form is a gun.

bartel may win a brownlow.

Mcintosh played I think 12 or 13 games prior to 07, so Good on North waiting to develop this kid, interesting our own brooks is only 6 months older than McIntosh and missed a year and a half with injury.

like your comments about 03, they are still kids (not how folks are willing to wait for ray, sylvia etc but have written of armitage and mcqualter already, neither are past 21)

anyway its just opinion and Im not correcting you and I concur with the general drive of your comments.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Interesting information MSG. A more mixed result than i had thought.

Really, we have done well to have picked four players who have turned out to be better than your rating of "good" (Kosi, Riewoldt, Ball and Goddard) and two more who are playing in our top team and who could still improve (the Clarkes), plus have taken Fiora and turned him from a dud into at least a GOP (and possibly more in 2008, let's see).

Not only that, but we have drafted two players outside the top 10 who have shown that they probably should have been there (Dal and Chips), plus Maguire who still could become a gun, and regular first team players in Fish and Joey.

Those on this forum who seem to think they could have done it all standing on their heads - and who throw tomatoes at Bevo (under the shadowy influence of GT) for choosing McQualter with pick 17 or Raymond with pick 63, or trading pick 33 for Ackland, pick 39 for Guerra or pick 49 for McGough - should consider the players who were chosen with picks 4-7 of the 2000 draft and then draw breath!!

There's nothing easier than recruiting a team full of guns from your armchair with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

well said

also if you consider how much the saints spend on recruiting compared to other teams......

that is why bevo is considered a guru and justifiable so.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Those on this forum who seem to think they could have done it all standing on their heads - and who throw tomatoes at Bevo (under the shadowy influence of GT) for choosing McQualter with pick 17 or Raymond with pick 63, or trading pick 33 for Ackland, pick 39 for Guerra or pick 49 for McGough - should consider the players who were chosen with picks 4-7 of the 2000 draft and then draw breath!!

There's nothing easier than recruiting a team full of guns from your armchair with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.
guerra was a great trade for talent IMO, unfortunately he had big tickets on himself, a very good gop and with his new found hair and maturity could do with his work rate now. Was an immature and underfit player at st kilda.

i must admit to never warming to mcgough. I think it was you who posted that he didn't really get a fair run at st kilda, but as a 20 year old when he came over it seemed he should have at least been given the chances CJ seemed to get.

hacklands 2005 form was as good as the form of many of the ruckman listed as potential targets for the saints, spider and cox are so far ahead of the other its not funny.

lookinig at the stats his 05 form was 20% above his career average and comparable with any non elite ruckman (including the ones targetted by fans here ><).

mini is 21, I remember the same trash written about mini, being written about montagna, dal santo, reiwoldt, kosi, maguire, lenny etc over the years. (OMG lenny is so soft, lenny is so slow, what do you think we can get for lenny, mebbe we can trade lenny and our round 1 pick for <insert generic hack>)

I also note that the targets of some fans, brogan, clarke keating, etc have shown to have fallen by the wayside.

i think the problem with SOME of our trades and picks have not been on talent but attitude.

hackland, knobel, guerra went chasing $$$$$$$$$
heath black and james begley left for family reasons
Caydn Beetham was an outstanding talent but by all accounts had bigger tickets on himself and didn't put in the work to be elite, frankly if he had the work ethic and discipline of robert harvey, beetham could be a team leader right now)
Penny injury and psychological issues finished him prematurely, was going to be a 200 game FB for us.

as for mini, if he doesn't work out, well its not due to a hell of a lot of coaches from every junior level highly rating him for talent and work ethic and leadership material.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: 7 - Mackie (Good player)
Outstanding footballer, should've been in the reckoning for All-Australian IMO.

Red
Club Player

I think it goes to show that picks 1-5 normally end up with very good

players but after that it can be a lottery. Some of the best players going

around weren't even drafted. So in my opinion maybe you could look at

giving a low draft choice away for a player that we know has the attributes

to play a role in the side.