Glenn Mitchell, you are a wanker

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Glenn Mitchell, you are a wanker

Glenn Mitchell calls football for ABC radio here in Perth. He is the Executive Producer, Sport for ABC Western Australia. On Saturday mornings he hosts a two-hour sports talkback program, Saturday Sportstalk, usually as a lead-in to ABC Grandstand's football coverage.

Of late I have noticed a tone of impatience and indignation in Mitchell when dealing with talkback callers. I suspect that this has been a hallmark of Mitchell's work for quite some time, but it is only in recent months that I have regularly listened to the program.

Mitchell seems so preoccupied with his own self-importance and his handle on the "issues" that he cannot help but treat callers with little respect or tolerance.

This is especially so when the caller has an opinion with which Mitchell disagrees. He has no hesitation in talking over the top of the caller, belittling them and asking questions which go to support his opinion but not allowing them an opportunity to reply.

When he suspects that the opinion is one with which he disagrees, he interjects with "mm-hmm", "yep", "yes" and "OK" while the caller is speaking in an attempt to put them under pressure and to interrupt the flow of their thought/delivery.

He particularly enjoys making unsophisticated jokes at their expense with fellow panel member Ken Judge, and generally behaving like an extremely discourteous, ill-mannered and opinionated oaf.

This is precisely what happened on Saturday morning with respect to talkback on drugs, drug testing and the issue with Channel Seven. In discussing the AFL's drugs policy, and the fact that players had tested positive for illicit drugs but not on match day (hence no name and shame), Mitchell took calls and engaged in the talkback equivalent of a shouting match with several callers. His tone was whiney, his voice was raised and he strung together monologues of more than 300 words to prevent the callers from commenting. I could practically hear his blood pressure rising.

When a caller rang the program specifically to notify Mitchell of this, he proceeded to cut her off, talk over the top of her and undermine her comment, a comment which in my opinion was entirely valid.

In his belligerent, petulant defence, Mitchell said he was behaving that way because he "just got so frustrated" with people calling for harsher penalties for illicit drug users in AFL, and he wondered why "people couldn't understand the issues".

Here's a tip, Glenn: exercise a modicum of self-control and discipline. Notwithstanding that you might have a difference of opinion with a talkback caller, it is your obligation to allow them to voice that opinion and then, if you choose, to state your own. Shouting them down simply gives the impression that you are afraid of opinions that might be contrary to your own, that you don't like to be challenged, that you don't have an open mind and that you are not willing to consider all points of view.

If people are not properly informed on the issues, is it not your duty as a representative of the fourth estate to demonstrate patience in properly informing them?

You are employed by the national broadcaster, yet you carry on like Bill O'Reilly or Tucker Carlson. I have not heard any other ABC radio commentators conduct themselves in this manner. Even talkback involving people with professional opinions who have played and coached the game at the highest level (such as David Parkin, Mark Maclure and Stan Alves) is moderated by professional, dispassionate hosts such as Dan Lonergan or Gerard Whately. You could learn a lot from your contemporaries.

Instead, we in the west get the narcissistic ramblings of a fat, biased, ocker wanker who masquerades as a journalist.

You like to call yourself a "professional". Try behaving like one.

A HEAD FOR RADIO: Glenn Mitchell, right, sucks in his gut for an ABC promo shot.
Last edited by Riewoldting on Tue 04 Sep 2007 9:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Instead, we in the west get the narcissistic ramblings of a fat, biased, ocker wanker who masquerades as a journalist.
And yet he won the heart of the luscious Ms Tighe.

There is clearly no God.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

its not uncommon.

for years tim lane was one of the premier football callers, in between ch9 offering him big bucks, ch10 offering him more, approached for a board position on carlton etc, he has become a self important oaf.

for more than decade prior to ch9 getting the broadcasting contract I reckon Lane would have been in the top 5 or 6 callers.

now he his ego has made him a bit of a joke.

still sitting on piles of ch9, ch10 and ABC cash, i dont think he cares :lol:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

that is a terrible haircut for an extremely unnattractive man

god go bald gracefully you ugly ugly human being...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Just par for the course in the West don't you reckon Riewoldting.
One eyed in the extreme, West Coast and the Dockers are all that matters, with a narrow little view that struggles to see beyond the chip on the shoulder little fishbowl that is WA.
That idiot Wolfe that does the drive program is the same.
What's so difficult to deal with as an 'outsider' from the east is they don't realise how narrow and parochial they are.

Brian Collis
Club Player

What a fat ugly turd. Makes George Groolosich or however he's name is spelt look good.

Is this his missus?

She must be blind

loriswa
Club Player

Actually he isn't an Eagles supporter Reiwoltding...even though his parochical WA bias comes through when dealing with any sportsperson coming from WA, be it footy, cricket, hockey, rowing, cycling or whatever.

He is an unashamed Carlton supporter in footy ( he mentions it many times on air). So I guess there is no hope for the rabbit is there eh?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I must say I am impressed Riewoldting.

That is one hell of a spray you have delivered.

1/ Prior to this thread I however fortunately for me I was not aware of the existence of Glen Mitchell.

2/ I like how your introduction brought me up to speed almost immediately.

3/ I don’t know him and have never had never heard of him but I hate him!

4/ He is one ugly f@t son of a Biatch!

5/ He wears a rug!

Surely you could email him this monologue inclusive of pic and descriptive caption or send it to meet the press.
Last edited by Joffa Burns on Tue 04 Sep 2007 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Yeah Bungi, get cracking :lol:

As I said, I don't really listen to his commentary and have only recently regularly listened to Sportstalk.

I guess it's his inherent WA bias that makes him sound like he is a West Coast fan. :roll:

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:Yeah Bungi, get cracking :lol:
:oops:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
bungiton
SS Life Member

Well, I agree with the OP. On saturday I was driving back from Margaret River and had the displeasure to listen to the same proggy. Mitchell is a bitch slapped flaggelator of the highest order but one good thing came out of it, if I were to ever be curious to what it would be like to fashion ear plugs out of my own feaces and put them in my ears to see what the effect would be, Mitchell and his whiny little monologues have solved whatever future curiosity I might indeed have in this regard.

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
bungiton
SS Life Member

Riewoldting wrote:Yeah Bungi, get cracking :lol:

As I said, I don't really listen to his commentary and have only recently regularly listened to Sportstalk.

I guess it's his inherent WA bias that makes him sound like he is a West Coast fan. :roll:
Bu the way - how did I get into this thread?

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Post this on BigFooty ... you might get some sympathy from the WA people, and you'll probably make the papers.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
my les foote
Club Player

No post it here on the West Australian radio personalities board.

Win it for HIM!
bungiton
SS Life Member

my les foote wrote:No post it here on the West Australian radio personalities board.
Yeah how dare we hey, seems us western folk forgot this place is only here to whine about Victorian media personalities, you have my word from now on I'll do my utmost to ensure I only ever post derogatory remarks regarding C Wilson, Sheehan or Patrick Smith just so I can conform to your lofty standards. Shame on me and thank you for pointing out my ignorance, whilst I grapple with trying to listen to 3AW, triple m Melbourne or buy all your local papers, I promise to punish myself heavily for even attempting to support the Saints from WA, I mean how is that possible if I'm not a Victorian??

Get over yourself!

my les foote
Club Player

Most threads about Sheahan, Wilson, Smith start with a reference to something they have written about the Saints. This thread seemed toally irrelevant to the St.Kilda Football Club

BTW supporting the Saints from West Australia is a pushover. Try it from Europe.

And I promise not to bring up any issues raised by Swiss journalists unless they are directly related to the Saints, although if you are interested you could start with the headline here.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=337901

Win it for HIM!
bungiton
SS Life Member

Switzerland hey?

Hmmm nice, I didn't mean that supporting the Saints was a hard thing from WA, I am a saints supporter, and always will be, just making sure it was alright to do it from anywhere but Victoria.

And there are numerous posts regarding victorian personalities that have jack to do with the saints, but hey who gives a rats, it is also a football forum, the op was regarding a topic that has been widely debated throughout the year, as a matter of fact the topic centred on the channel seven drugs fiasco, and the Mitchells views were basically the only view that were pertinent.

The theadline clearly stated what the topic was about, clearly if it's of no interest to you, you don't have to wade into a topic just to put down the thread or the posters in it because you don't deem it suitable for your reading.

Theres way too many people about who think their opinion or interest is the only important one, which once again brings us back to the original post.

There are numerous posts I read on here that mean nothing or less too me, doesn't mean the poster or the thread should be poq'd

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you only click on one espn link outlining swiss football make it this one!!!

And I'd like to add my discontent to the chorus wondering how Glenn Mitchell snaffled Karen Tighe.