Saints boardroom challenge looms

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

my les foote
Club Player

Saints boardroom challenge looms

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 88,00.html
Damian Barrett

September 04, 2007 12:00am
ST KILDA is headed for a boardroom showdown, with two outside groups now preparing for a challenge amid claims of a messy confrontation.

Following yesterday's revelation in the Herald Sun that Gregorys Transport founder Greg Westaway had been approached by a group of Saints identities to take on president Rod Butterss, it has emerged a former St Kilda director is also being sounded out to head another group.

David Strange, who sat on the board when Butterss ousted Andrew Plympton as president in 2000, has been linked to that group.

While Butterss spent yesterday trying to appease several people seriously considering challenging his board, it has been revealed he has been in an intense stand-off with club vice-president Ross Levin.

It is believed the two have been at odds for several months and their relationship dramatically soured during the opening minutes of the Saints' Round 21 match against West Coast at Telstra Dome.

The Herald Sun has learned Butterss and Levin were involved in a disagreement as they watched that game, which the Saints lost, after which Levin and his wife left their designated seats to finish watching the match elsewhere.

Levin refused to comment last night when asked if Butterss had used a rolled-up AFL Record to hit his face after Butterss asked questions relating to comments made that day on radio by former coach Grant Thomas.

"No comment," Levin said.

Asked if he intended taking the matter further, Levin said: "I strongly believe the focus should be on the club and not the individuals."

On that day on SEN radio, Thomas had questioned why Levin, a lawyer, had not been asked for advice in the bungled Steven Baker tribunal hearing.

Baker copped a seven-week suspension when he effectively admitted initiating head-high contact with Fremantle's Jeff Farmer.

Butterss last night denied the incident with Levin.

"Not true, mate, not true," Butterss said.

"Absolutely didn't happen. I have no idea why a lot of this stuff is going around. There is no truth in it whatsoever."

Those plotting challenges to the Saints board have stepped up their campaigns since last Friday night, when Adelaide's defeat of Collingwood left St Kilda with no hope of making the finals.

Former playing great Nathan Burke has been approached as part of the Westaway ticket, with several other big-name players considering supporting that bid.

Win it for HIM!