Your record and strategies against Sydney....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Your record and strategies against Sydney....

Hi there guys.

Firstly commiserations on your non finals appearance for this year. Needless to say you were by far the best team outside the 8 and certainly I would not have liked to come up against you in the first final. Which leads me to my next point and reason for this post.

U guys, I think for memory have had a pretty good record against Sydney and was wondering how u guys went about dismantling them and where you keys laid for match-ups etc and who normally goes with who and how u guys generally structure up against them.

I will be curious to see whether we employ similar tactics on Saturday night. Obviously we have two wins against them this year already but comes finals time that means zip.

Maybe won't be a popular thread but some very knowledgeable posters on here may be able to give me an insight as such.

Many thanks and thanks again for making me feel welcome in 2007. Hope u all take care in the off season and don't do anything silly.

Cheers.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

We usually try to score more points than them :wink:
Apart from that we usually go hard at the footy and beat them at their own game.
You should go alright though, Goldy can take O'Loughlan out again.
Could be worth considering bringing Lica back in, according to the newspaper he has been in good form, he adds some much needed finals experience and he could take out Bolton or Kirk or another one of their key flankers.
Rusling in for Ried is a huge bonus for you guys so you will field a better side than last week.
I wouldn't be too worried if I were you especially because you guys have a good record against them too.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Yeah bloody Goodes was a tough match up last time. Hey can we borrow Jason Blake for one match..... :D

Wakelin went with Hall and Goldy to Micky O. Soft co*k Davis kicked 4 on the weekend which means he will go missing this week but still has to be watched. Clement would more then likely get O'Keefe.

They are number one at stoppages so if u can win the 50/50's I reckon we are half way there.

woooosaints
Club Player

man you can have jason blake for free please we will even pay his salary

strauchanie
Club Player

woooosaints wrote:man you can have jason blake for free please we will even pay his salary
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

jason blake is the current whipping boy at the club.

now that shwarz has gone ><

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

I hope you win!!! I lived in Collingwood for 5 years and Sydney now for 12 + - I know what I prefer!

Win the ball off them through sheer hard work (Hayes/Ball/Dal) used to win this for us) and kick it inside 50 and you'll win. Cloke, Rocca, Didak, Thomas and Davis will kick a winning score.

To win the ball... I'm a trifle concerned about the ball winners and their use (Shaw, Burns et al. are good but can go missing) but it seems to be about battering them

My opinion as an inveterate Swans hater.

O'Keefe - Clement - top matchup. Their #5 is a terrific player as is your #8 (who now lives 4 doors up from my old place in Colingwood)
O'Loughlin - a worry, has found form of late. My fav Swans player (I hate saying that) and I'm not sure who gets him - Goldsack has been terrific but O'Loughlin's been doing the matchwinning things lately? Harry as a second option?

USE the big guys (Rocca/Fraser/Cloke) - Sydney will struggle to match up.

Make Leon Davis and Didak make the differnce. Dale Thomas could win this for you - he's a matchwinner. Those guys should kick a winning score each week.

ALthough the pies midfield is so-so on paper they give a contest, and that's what you need against the swans. If it takes one extra at selection (Licuria?) take them. If you lose one mid in the game the swans fitness will cut you up.

Good luck! Please make Sydney bearable this weak!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sydney will bend Collingwood over and have their way with them

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:Sydney will bend Collingwood over and have their way with them
Best post this year from u dud. New avatar for next year?

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, but I think the Swans will win this one, based purely on Finals experience and the fact they now have thier tails up after taking the Hawks apart last weekend.

My strategy for playing Sydney would be simple - run hard, kick over the press of bodies and keep posession of the ball at all costs.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Easy one, you need to structure your midfield to have the majority of inside players but make sure they have enough skill to hit targets. The swans will keep themselves in the game through hard work and reliance on capitalising on turn overs.

Cover hall and o'loughlan and you have half the game one. They really rely on leading targets and running backs. Your flankers need to be aon the ball, they will have to work hard into open spaces to hurt the swans on the rebound.

Oh and make some noise, I don't rate this years sydney side, they could come unstuck if you apply pressure on the field and on the scoreboard.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
HarveysDeciple

Play your bigger bodies in the middle, or your more physical midfielders.

Ball and Hayes are in their element against Sydney. Both are brilliant tacklers and hard at the ball midfielders so they are well equipped to handle the swans multiple stoppage game plan.
Burns and co, for you, perhaps bring Licca back.

Plus in the past Gehrig has towelled them up. Having a big bodied key forward always worries Sydney as Leo Barry struggles to contain them.
Their defence is workmanlike at best, with Bolton probably the pick of the crop down there, but the rest of them are workhorses.
If you have a couple of in form key forwards you can really hurt them.
Gehrig and Riewoldt fur us, and last time you played them, Rusling cut loose, and Rocca was solid.
They can stop 1, but rarely 2 or 3.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Having more than one geniuine tall marking target stretches them, especially if you separate their defenders.

they like to have stoppages aplenty, and if you watch them they crowd lots of bodies into the stoppage zone, play it like rugby uniomn, and then have one or two guys sitting 5 to 10 yrds off the stopaage waiting for the receive. Plays lots of inside mids close in to stop the release to the free man off the contest or identify the receivers and tag them.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
yipper
SS Life Member

They (sydney) are the most physical team in the AFL - they really like to work you over. Hence plenty of stoppages where they go body on body and hard. You will need your grunt players in the heat of battle - i.e: Burns, Licca maybe Holland?? Buckley if he can stay together etc. They have 2 big, and tough ruckman that feed a plethora of hard nuts at ground lvl. They can be exposed down back and have a flighty forward line that is brilliant one day and duds the next. Should be a good game - you beat them 2 weeks ?? ago.. at the G' - you're a chance.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

interestingly if spider was playing for st kilda and had that barney with hawthorn he would have got weeks.

being sydney gives you a bit of leeway.

saw a few flying arms as well.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Mr X from the West
Club Player

If Collingwood play half as well as they did against the Swans a couple of weeks back, they'll win in a canter.

JohnPeterPaulMary, whatever you name is, that's the secret....put heaps of pressure on them, make them kick to options, close them down and then hurt them on the turnover. Easier said than done but you did it beautifully last time.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Thanks all, an overwhelming response.

Oh and a touch of irony to boot. Guess who is due back this week after serving a one match suspension incurred against us in Round 21???

Yep Amon Buchanan... :evil: :roll: :evil: :roll: :evil:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

sydney can be exposed.

the trick IMO is to play your own game and make them chase you.

9/10ths of sydney is psych.

also If spider was in hawthorn or st kilda colours, he would have got weeks for his barney on the weekend.

a few elbows and jumper punches there.

phariktard.

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:sydney can be exposed.

the trick IMO is to play your own game and make them chase you.

9/10ths of sydney is psych.

also If spider was in hawthorn or st kilda colours, he would have got weeks for his barney on the weekend.

a few elbows and jumper punches there.

phariktard.
Dan sometimes you should open both eyes. Spider did nothing reportable.

santazzi
Club Player

Gees Guys..........we have been out of it for three days..........and you are already so bored that you have all become strategy coaches to the filth....for free ..........I have heard it all now.....

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

santazzi wrote:Gees Guys..........we have been out of it for three days..........and you are already so bored that you have all become strategy coaches to the filth....for free ..........I have heard it all now.....
I asked for feedback and I got it. I have known these posters on here a lot longer then u have and if they didnt want to reply they sure as hell wouldnt have. That I do know.

Once again thanks all who contributed.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

santazzi wrote:Gees Guys..........we have been out of it for three days..........and you are already so bored that you have all become strategy coaches to the filth....for free ..........I have heard it all now.....
not like the information will be hand delivered to malthouse anyway :roll:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
HarveysDeciple

True Believer is right.

Its not the Bolton's and Kirk's per say that ya tag.

its their outside receivers that do the damage, they only have a few.
Buchanan, Kennelly, Malceski etc.

The grunt players in close can be matched physically, ya just need to stop their quick bursts that they score from by locking down the outside players and putting your harder players in close to work them over.