Trade Bait

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rocket
Club Player

Trade Bait

X.Clarke - Top 10 draft pick who has underperformed
R.Clarke - Top 10 draft pick who has underperformed
A.Fiora - May have some value based on 07. Could pull a reasonable trade
S.Milne - Maybe time to go. Reasonable 30 goal return, however his value could pull together a fair trade for the right player e.g Milne for Seaby? Straight swap for mine.

We do fall right away after our Top 15 players, hence little value outside the untouchabels...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade Bait

Rocket wrote: R.Clarke - Top 10 draft pick who has underperformed

raph is 21 ffs. give him a chance.

fiora may have some value to us based on 07

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

x clarke 22/23 r.clarke 20/21.

both dogged by injuries, both showed good form in glimpses with r clarke playing a good last 4 matches.

currently worth very little = development could be match winners.

fiora, you get what you give, we'll get another fiora type player for fiora...

milne 30 goals and 45 goal assists or something in 07 = 1/5 of all our goals were from milne...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote:S.Milne - Maybe time to go. Reasonable 30 goal return, however his value could pull together a fair trade for the right player e.g Milne for Seaby? Straight swap for mine.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't like that, maybe get them to throw in Judd just to even that trade up

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote: A.Fiora - May have some value based on 07. Could pull a reasonable trade
Well yes we have surplus of really quick pacey players don't we = NOT!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintDippa
Club Player

X - Solid pre-season then a perfect foil along side Milne sniffing around Riewolt (hopefull with G gone our new 70-a-year spearhead
Raph - Too early to make a call - needs a solid pre-season
Milne - Must keep - like him
Fiora - take-or-leave. Too unreliable goalkicker, unreliable at hitting targets 40-50m away, IMO soft.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Rocket wrote: S.Milne - Maybe time to go. Reasonable 30 goal return, however his value could pull together a fair trade for the right player e.g Milne for Seaby? Straight swap for mine.
Then get draft Andrew Krakour :wink:

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
Rocket wrote: S.Milne - Maybe time to go. Reasonable 30 goal return, however his value could pull together a fair trade for the right player e.g Milne for Seaby? Straight swap for mine.
Then get draft Andrew Krakour :wink:
id rather junior rioli

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

There is no point in trading decent fringe players for the sake of it. We won't get more than their market value and they are all players with two things we sorely lack - pace and skill.

These days players are traded because of a few reasons only
*The player wants more opportunities at another club
*Salary cap restrictions
*Home sickness
*Player wants more money
*Club doesn't like the player's attitude

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote:X - Solid pre-season then a perfect foil along side Milne sniffing around Riewolt (hopefull with G gone our new 70-a-year spearhead
Raph - Too early to make a call - needs a solid pre-season
Milne - Must keep - like him
Fiora - take-or-leave. Too unreliable goalkicker, unreliable at hitting targets 40-50m away, IMO soft.
Well... You got 1/4 right :lol:

They walk amongst us...

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:There is no point in trading decent fringe players for the sake of it. We won't get more than their market value and they are all players with two things we sorely lack - pace and skill.

These days players are traded because of a few reasons only
*The player wants more opportunities at another club
*Salary cap restrictions
*Home sickness
*Player wants more money
*Club doesn't like the player's attitude
another reason as to why you dont trade is the loyalty factor...thats why we would never trade a luke ball or xavier clarke...if we expect the dal santos and riewoldts and the koschitzkes etc to all sign up then they should expect that unless there is a serious form or off-field issue then we are to sign up the other players

ofcourse in some cases the players will understand why the club had to delist or trade off one of their mates but if go around trying to offload luke ball or xavier clarke etc then it could become ugly

SaintDippa
Club Player

HSV. Which three are you wrong with?

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote:X.Clarke - Top 10 draft pick who has underperformed
R.Clarke - Top 10 draft pick who has underperformed
S.Milne - Maybe time to go. Reasonable 30 goal return, however his value could pull together a fair trade for the right player e.g Milne for Seaby? Straight swap for mine.
X.Clarke is too valuable to trade...he's a developing player who is a through and through Saint!
A.Fiora has shown too much promise this year to trade
S.Milne is deadly when the game suits and thus shouldn't be traded

Raff Clarke??? I think the "what ifs" may come back to haunt us..I'd sooner keep him...call me selfish :lol:

I'd personally like to see a steady and non-disrupted team on the park next season...these players work well for us IMO..even though I find Raff Clarke the most frustrating player this side of Blake..and even he has shown more promise than ever before this season!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't trade any of these guys. X and Raph if they can stay fit will be good players. Milney - one of the best small forwards in the comp who may benefit from a different forward set-up next year.

Fiora maybe, but he played every game this year and can't see him being moved on. Forget trading, concentrate on developing the players we have, a full-on fitness campaign in the pre-season and drafting well.

battye
Saintsational Legend

I don't really think there is a need to trade anyone, to be honest.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ok I'll get shot for this but...

Maguire IF the offer was right...

IMO hes a straight line runner only, susceptible on a mobile fwd (and most nowadays are as gorillas are few and far between) AND I also reckon we have his replacement in a quick, great foot skilled, tough tackling player in Gilbert (even better with another pre season...) who will gives us plenty of rebounding ability in future.

Just a suggestion and ONLY IF the trade included a genuine opportrunity for good quality in say.......ruck stakes......etc.....as you have to give something of reasonable quality if your going to get something decent in return.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i'm still hoping that goose can recapture the form and confidence that had many of us talking him up as possible all australian chb before his broken leg.

he busted a gut to get back for round 1 then was crippled by stress factors. imo having him missing for the first half of the season was a key factor in us not making the finals.

significantly we were much improved with him back in the side in the second half of the year even though he was clearly not at his best.

we're lucky to have a guy like gilbert coming through. very versatile player who in the past few weeks has been touted as a future on-baller, full-back, winger, full-forward, hff and now chb ... i reckon he can do a good job in virtually any position on the ground.

i hope we can retain them both and keep the young core of this list together.

i'm not going to shoot you for that teflon because you're right in saying that we desperately need a ruckman.

this would allow kosi to play forward and be settled into the ff spot vacated by fraser.

let's hope that we don't have to lose goose to achieve that. he's likely to go elsewhere, recover his best form and come back to haunt us for the next 10 years.

if only brooks would pull his finger out, work harder and improve his attitude. he should be retained, given an extended run in the seniors and told it's now or never

killa_gram
Club Player

Fiora - He's a poor mans Pettifer. At least Pet kicks goals whereas Fiora misses more than he kicks plus he all to regularly makes clangers. He's not young anymore and he's still pretty soft imo. People crap on about how much of a better year he's had. Yes probably true considering he had to only improve on the crap he has dished up for about seven years. Still has never taken a game by the scruff of the neck. He will always be fringe at best.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
StSteven
Club Player

IIIRC noone was interested in Milne last time he was put up. Future very shaky unless he stays.

Brian Collis
Club Player

Pilchards are good, so are fresh prawns

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Bar Riewoldt, all players are up for trade if the offer is above market value.

With certain players, eg: Dal Santo, Maguire, Goddard, etc - it would have to be an extrordinary offer. For example, if Dal Santo was being shipped out, I'd want three top 15 picks, with two in the top six. As if any club is going to pay that - they won't - but it shows anyone is expendable at the right price. Now think about it, it's totally unrealistic that we'll get offered way over the odds for any player (everyone wants to pay well under market value), so it's fair to put such high prices on the player's heads. Scale down the asking price (keep it above market value, though) as you go down our playing list. Who knows who will bite for mid-range players?

Our problem is that we have too many players who realistically won't be traded, and too many who are in project phase - which at trade week means their value is well below their potential.

We don't have a surplus of talent in any area, either. We're short perhaps one key forward; potentially short of a long-term FB, in need of a quality ruckman and in need of both hard-at-it inside and pacy outside midfielders.

Instead, we have all these project players - Gwilt, Brooks, R Clarke, Watts, Ferguson, McQualter, Gardiner and Sweeney - who have little value on the trading table, but everyone at this club knows they're worth something. Perhaps only Clarke would garner a relatively good price; the rest, you'd get very little, or well below what we think they're worth.

Milne's value won't be reflected at the table, nor X Clarke, L Fisher, Fiora, Birss or Gilbert.

Voss would be worth little or nothing nowadays; Rix, Raymond and Birss wouldn't attract much of a price either. Nothing above a fourth or maybe even fifth round, if anything.

Our hands are tied quite badly at trade week. All we have to offer other clubs, realistically, is picks. And we won't want to give up much, given we need fresh blood.

It's going to be a difficult trading period, and if we're to acquire players, we're going to need to be crafty in the way we get them.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

JeffDunne

AFL clubs don't know how to trade. The system doesn't encourage it, football supporters are obsessed with kids, club administrators are too chicken s*** to make a decision that might cost them a job and most are too immature and sensitive to put players on the trade table. The all try and sell crap to get gold.

Face it, the best we can hope for is giving up late picks to get fringe players.

Unless the AFL are prepared to change their rules we may as well scrap Trade Week.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:AFL clubs don't know how to trade. The system doesn't encourage it, football supporters are obsessed with kids, club administrators are too chicken s*** to make a decision that might cost them a job and most are too immature and sensitive to put players on the trade table. The all try and sell crap to get gold.

Face it, the best we can hope for is giving up late picks to get fringe players.

Unless the AFL are prepared to change their rules we may as well scrap Trade Week.
You're correct JD.

Every club goes into Trade Week looking to get better than they are giving up, unless they have a 'disgruntled' player they are trying to offload for something, rather than getting nothing for him.

So unless another club rates the player(s) you are offering as a Trade higher than you do, you will most likely get back no better or worse than you are offering.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:AFL clubs don't know how to trade.
I'd agree with that, but since you have a New Orleans Saints logo as your av I'd also point out that neither do NFL teams. Trading players is a dead art over there, and it's never taken off here. I think the reason it's never taken off here has more to do with the players and coaches than anything else.

Teams with a surplus of midfielders and running players and a shortage of taller players should be trading to fill their immediate needs and drafting to fill their long twerm needs. Instead, we have a system whereby the coaches refuse to part with even fringe players in their best 22 or a half decent prospect.

Teams also undervalue draft picks. 2 first round picks should net you a star player, but in recent years we've seen Nathan Thompson, Brad Ottens and Jon Hay fetch two first rounders. While all of those guys are very good at their best, none of them are worth what the teams picking them up gave up for them. Barry Hall was worthy of two first round picks, those guys were not.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Bar Riewoldt, all players are up for trade if the offer is above market value.

With certain players, eg: Dal Santo, Maguire, Goddard, etc - it would have to be an extrordinary offer. For example, if Dal Santo was being shipped out, I'd want three top 15 picks, with two in the top six. As if any club is going to pay that - they won't - but it shows anyone is expendable at the right price. Now think about it, it's totally unrealistic that we'll get offered way over the odds for any player (everyone wants to pay well under market value), so it's fair to put such high prices on the player's heads. Scale down the asking price (keep it above market value, though) as you go down our playing list. Who knows who will bite for mid-range players?

Our problem is that we have too many players who realistically won't be traded, and too many who are in project phase - which at trade week means their value is well below their potential.

We don't have a surplus of talent in any area, either. We're short perhaps one key forward; potentially short of a long-term FB, in need of a quality ruckman and in need of both hard-at-it inside and pacy outside midfielders.

Instead, we have all these project players - Gwilt, Brooks, R Clarke, Watts, Ferguson, McQualter, Gardiner and Sweeney - who have little value on the trading table, but everyone at this club knows they're worth something. Perhaps only Clarke would garner a relatively good price; the rest, you'd get very little, or well below what we think they're worth.

Milne's value won't be reflected at the table, nor X Clarke, L Fisher, Fiora, Birss or Gilbert.

Voss would be worth little or nothing nowadays; Rix, Raymond and Birss wouldn't attract much of a price either. Nothing above a fourth or maybe even fifth round, if anything.

Our hands are tied quite badly at trade week. All we have to offer other clubs, realistically, is picks. And we won't want to give up much, given we need fresh blood.

It's going to be a difficult trading period, and if we're to acquire players, we're going to need to be crafty in the way we get them.
I know it might be seen as accepting mediocrity..but surely loyalty works both ways. Our elite players have stuck by the Club, shunning million dollar offers from other Clubs. Surely the least we can do is keep them off the trade table.

Dont know how specific you were trying to be by using dal as an example, but hes locked away too God bless him :-)

If the Club even thought about trading an uncontracted star like Kosi or dal..Id be furious. Yes I support the Club above all else, but putting "loyalty" in your motto surely counts for something.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor