Armitage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Armitage

I've read with interest a number of posts that suggest Armitage suffers from an attitude problem. Is this just an observation from those who watch Casey or an accurate description?

It would be very disappointing if we had drafted another Caydn Beetham attitude, especially in the age of pyschological testing, interviewing parents, etc. I'd also be very surprised if he's like that given the examples set by Banger, Lenny and Bally.

I really liked the games that Armo played pre-season, moved & kicked reminiscent of a young Luke Hodge.

Can anyone really in the know cast any light on this?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i must have missed that criticism?

the only thing I read was that he's carrying a bit of weight?

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I just read a few posts that said something about his attitude being ordinary.

Not being able to watch any Casey games this year I base my judgement on his pre-season games (very good) and his 2 senior games (thrown into deep end when most others were struggling).

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:I just read a few posts that said something about his attitude being ordinary.

Yes there have beena number of forumites who have said this.....without actually saying what the poor attitide is.

ie is it unwillingness to train......to follow direction.....too many off-field distractions....

All that I KNOW (as both Saints official and the Casey Coach have stated this) at present is that his fitness is along way short of what it should be.

Getting Armo fit and MOTIVATED is vital to the Saints in improving our midfield depth.

IF we could get boty of Armo and Geary UP....that would go a long way to improving out midfield depth for 2008. At pick 9 we are not likely to geta "selwood",,,and so out No 9 pick will come on lineafter 2008.

ONCE Birss gained his fitness I think he showed enough to suggest that he will be useful and can play our run withtagger role i 2008.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Is Geary a true midfielder? Eddy is, but i'm not sold on Geary yet, he has been playing behind the ball for the Scorpions in a lot of his better games.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I just read a few posts that said something aboutYes there have beena number of forumites who have said this.....without actually saying what the poor attitide is.

All I know was what I was told earlier in the year. That Armo was getting a bit ahead of himself and that the club was holding him back until he understood what it took to be an AFL footballer.

Certainly didn't set the world alight when he did get his chance, but have heard nothing since earlier in the about attitude.

Mabye he might be like Gilbert. Give him a bit of a go in season no.1 and a big go next season.

With two pre-seasons under his belt and a season of VFL, and with the knowledge that he was physically ready to go at seniors level, he might come good next year.

Patience is the key.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Solar
Saintsational Legend

agree otiman, geary is more a back flanker and eddy is a midfield type.

Mumours about his attitude have been circling a little. From what I have observed he has gone backwards since the pre-season. Might be just fitness but he picks and chooses the contests he goes to.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:All I know was what I was told earlier in the year. That Armo was getting a bit ahead of himself and that the club was holding him back until he understood what it took to be an AFL footballer.
That sounds about right to me, as to what was being said earlier in the year. Perhaps he was getting caught up in his own hype, quite possibly even from places like this.

I think Bryce Gibbs got caught up with the same thing, but Carlton decided to play him anyway.

Hopefully Armo can see what he lacks in intensity and fitness from the few AFL games he has played. Now that he has actually been out there on the ground. I would have loved to see him play against West Coast (from a development point of view, not winning games).

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks guys, glad to hear that it sounds like a case of 'a bit of growing up to do', rather than the 'can't be stuffed' Beetham attitude.

It would be a big change coming down from QLD to footy mad Melbourne & having fanatical saints fans blowing smoke up his behind before he's done anything. With some great role models though, he's got no excuse if he doesn't put in the work.

Batnoe

I dont know if i like him yet, obvioulsy form on the footy field determines that, i had him on myspace, he had 500 or so ppl on it and he had accepted me as a friend and then he deleted me, i think his head is too big and thinks he is a big wig so if he performs i understand it

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Someone said he picks and chooses contests ... that's wrong ... he's not a squib at all.

I actually thought he did pretty well in his 3 games ... we got belted in each game, and he found a bit of the footy and didn't play too badly off hardly any gametime.

Clearly needs to get fitter and with that fitness will come better performance and a better attitude.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Someone said he picks and chooses contests ... that's wrong ... he's not a squib at all.

I actually thought he did pretty well in his 3 games ... we got belted in each game, and he found a bit of the footy and didn't play too badly off hardly any gametime.

Clearly needs to get fitter and with that fitness will come better performance and a better attitude.
nah didn't mean he squibs, in fact when he does get to contests he is one of the harder ones out there. He just chooses when to run to contests and does not gut run at all.

Interestly he was in the top ten in the 3 km run at last years draft camp

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
spert
Saintsational Legend

If some of these guys have attitude issues, you get rid of them..tolerating "attitude players" held back this club for years. Go out and recruit young team-orientated players, on-field leaders, as they are the types you can build a flag team from, not the hot and cold dickheads who let us down when we need them.

congorozides
Club Player

You have to be very careful when you talk about young guys attitudes.

Leigh Matthews said his biggest mistakes as a coach was when he judged young guys for having "bad" attitudes or being "soft" when he realised it was actually a lack of confidence. He cited Chrissy Johnson and Nigel Lappin as examples of people he didn't rate when he got there and he realised they actually needed him to instill confidence in them to improve - not be yelled at and told off.

What im interested in are the posts saying Armo was slow ("slow as treacle"). IS this true? I cant believe wed recruit another slow guy after MqQualtar? Is he slow or just gets tired easily because hes unfit?
Does he have any natural pace, leg speed? Anyone know this?

congorozides
Club Player

Of course if ur out boozing every night and hanging out at Crown with tools - you probbaly have an attitude problem and should be ditched before too long.

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Batnoe wrote:i had him on myspace, he had 500 or so ppl on it and he had accepted me as a friend and then he deleted me, i think his head is too big
Oh well we should just delist him because of that.

Seriously though, he's well within his rights to have his 'friends' as actual friends and not just have a fan page.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:Of course if ur out boozing every night and hanging out at Crown with tools - you probbaly have an attitude problem and should be ditched before too long.
I presume that is just a general statement.

FFS, a lot of guys who are 18 booze most nights of the week and hang out at places in the city.

By day they are law students who will grow up to be barristers and the like in society.

That doesn't reflect an attitude problem.

And Armitage is not slow ... I would judge his pace to be about the same as Lenny's prior to the knee ... about average.

But he's tough, can find the ball and uses it with class.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
congorozides
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:
congorozides wrote:Of course if ur out boozing every night and hanging out at Crown with tools - you probbaly have an attitude problem and should be ditched before too long.
I presume that is just a general statement.

FFS, a lot of guys who are 18 booze most nights of the week and hang out at places in the city.

By day they are law students who will grow up to be barristers and the like in society.

That doesn't reflect an attitude problem.

And Armitage is not slow ... I would judge his pace to be about the same as Lenny's prior to the knee ... about average.

But he's tough, can find the ball and uses it with class.
yeah. was just a generla comment. not insinuating anything. I agree with your principle but i dont want hom to be a barrister or a member of society. just a good footy player.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Perhaps his lack of fitness stems from having played in an inferior league where he could get by to a certain extent on his skill level alone & fitness wasn't that much of an issue.

If he hasn't improved his fitness levels by the start of next season we may have reason to worry.

Would love to see him & Jarryd Allen line up rd. 1 next season.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Just a little bit of over-confidence early in the year, I would suspect.

If he's a smart kid, he'll now realise the amount of work that's ahead of him. He'll need a huge pre-season, as will many others, but he did show something in the pre-season practise matches by all reports.

Let's hope he becomes the player so many expected of him, beacause we desperately need more midfielders.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:I dont know if i like him yet, obvioulsy form on the footy field determines that, i had him on myspace, he had 500 or so ppl on it and he had accepted me as a friend and then he deleted me, i think his head is too big and thinks he is a big wig so if he performs i understand it
your a child

just because he plays for the saints means he automatically has to add you on myspace etc etc and chat with you

its his myspace...not his personal fan site where everybody praises him and kisses his ass

ive met him out the week after he was drafted as we have mutal friends...do you see me adding him on myspace and saying 'he mate, remember me?'

he deleted you off myspace???oh no...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
armos#1
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:
Batnoe wrote:I dont know if i like him yet, obvioulsy form on the footy field determines that, i had him on myspace, he had 500 or so ppl on it and he had accepted me as a friend and then he deleted me, i think his head is too big and thinks he is a big wig so if he performs i understand it
your a child

just because he plays for the saints means he automatically has to add you on myspace etc etc and chat with you

its his myspace...not his personal fan site where everybody praises him and kisses his ass

ive met him out the week after he was drafted as we have mutal friends...do you see me adding him on myspace and saying 'he mate, remember me?'

he deleted you off myspace???oh no...
hahahhahaha thats a great response.
seriously guys grow up!
David is so focused on his game, he does not have an attitude problem.
yeah so what he was a little dissapointed he didnt get many games, we all would be like that. But i know for a fact he does not have an attitude problem when it comes to footy.
he will be in the casey rooms before a game and he is so focused on his game he wouldnt know if he had been hit by a darn truck.
you cant get more MOTIVATED than that seriously can you?

He is a little aggressive as a player when it comes to "tiffs" on the field but NO he does not have a attitude problem.

maybe get your facts right before you start posting things on these sites.

and who cares he deleted you on myspace you silly children.
its only myspace...
grow up!!

ARMITAGE rising star 2008