Goddard to CHF?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Goddard to CHF?

he can mark, he is strong enough to bust packs, he is very good over head, he has a booming kick, he had an enourmous engine, and while not pacey for a midfielder, has enough pace for a KPP.

he has height, strength, endurance and courage.

can mark, and can kick for goal.

can goddard + Reiwoldt > lloyd and lucas? loewe + Lockett?

Kosi as the rotating ruck forward a la spider, which worked well with heatly, lower and spider in the late 90s?

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
luckysaint
Club Player

either CHF, CHB, FF or FB for mine

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

At 191cm just a bit too short for CHF.

But I suppose smaller have played there.

No reason why he couldnt play a similar role on a flank, remembering that we have one of the best CHFs going around.

Kosi to play out of the square for mine, with Gardiner/Rix rucking.

Or you never know, Watts or Brooks could come good.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:At 191cm just a bit too short for CHF.

But I suppose smaller have played there.

No reason why he couldnt play a similar role on a flank, remembering that we have one of the best CHFs going around.

Kosi to play out of the square for mine, with Gardiner/Rix rucking.

Or you never know, Watts or Brooks could come good.
didn't reiwoldt kick a bag a few years ago at FF?

I can't imagine with the new rules any FB getting close enough to him to push him in the back with his speed...

SHUT UP KRIME!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Definitely.....could be very similar to a Pavlich.....

I like it.

kaos theory
Club Player

Don't know about CHF...But I think this could work well:

FF: - Milne /Kosi /(resting midfielder)
HF: - x. or r. clarke/Rewieldt/Goddard

Points to note:

Kosi & Roo are the spine. This has been proven to work. It straigtens up our attack. Kosi is a better contested mark than g-train, and better at ground level and good kick for goal.

One of the HFF can be covered by a FIT x clrake or r.clarke (I like the idea of r. Clarke). These guy have a lot of natural talent and read play well. Probably r.clarke.

The other HFF can be covered by Goddard. A good foil for the other flanker. Different style, less pace, but very smart football brain, great mark and long kick for goal.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

BJ's breaking the lines with his unbelievable kicking from the back half is too valuable... that is one of the things we missed most this year.

Whilst we have 2 of the best running half backs in the comp, in Gram and Chips, BJ is the architect, and his surgical kicking will be of greater benefit on the half back line and pushing forward from thee IMO..

As for the forward structure, Roo has kicked a handful of bags playing close to goal, including 1 of 9 (or 8) against melb at the G a few years back. In a losing side it was an unbelievable display. Next year, he should play closer to goal. Now where he is roaming up to centre wing and the half back line; next year he should start deeper and push up to the wing at the deepest.

Brookes and Watts are the big question marks from here. Brookes needs to realise he can be a gun, bust his gut, and release Kosi to play a roaming CHF, or Watts needs to get to more contests and play a Travis Cloke type role.

Our biggest problem under GT and now RL has been the reliance on too few to kick goals. Once again, out of 14 gaols, G, Kos and Roo kicked 12.

I feel you cannot make someone into a goalkicker, it's either there or not, and clearly with Lenny, Dal, Ball and Harv's, it isnt a strength. Joey and to a lesser extent Fiora are exceptions here and need to push up more.

We need 2 new targets next year, possibly 1 tall (Watts/Brookes) and one mid size (dare i say Hamill) to bolster the goal tally...

busso mick
Club Player

The retirement of Gehrig will force a restructure of our forward line for the better IMO. We have looked far too predictable this year up forward and our goal scoring potency has diminished. I will bet that we will score a lot more heavily in 2008 than this year with the retirement of Gehrig. The proviso is that we trade for another ready-made ruckman like Seaby to free up Kosi to spend more time near goals. You can't defend against someone who can take a pack mark, I can't remember Fraser taking too many of them this year. Against WCE in Perth when Kosi was up forward and Gehrig out injured we looked a different team and the Eagles defence had now answer when it was coming in quick and high.

Roo has started to really excel at CHF in the last 5 or so games and we should keep him there and build our attack around him. Goddard can add another dimension to our forward line, more with rotations and to get a mismatch against some teams. He can also play back and develop into a real utility along the lines of Hunter at WCE. BJ's contested marking is the only thing I would question about his ability to play key forward. He is coming back from a reco so we shouldn't expect too much for the first half of the season anyway.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

goddard = scott lucas?

there was some talk that st kilda made a serious play for him about 5 or 6 years ago when we spent big on players.

he like the idea of st kilda but in the end his affection for his team mates held him stead.

(i guess much like when Freo threw a bank full of cash at loewe and carlton gave harvey the blank cheque book)

I wouldn't have minded the enigmatic lucas over at the saints, but if we can turn goddard into a lucas type player, mores the better.

SHUT UP KRIME!
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Would look at putting him in FF until he has full confidence and fitness in his knee. But he is clearly am asset to our midfield and HB lines when he is fully fit who can pinch hit in KP forward roles.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
To the top
SS Life Member

I would quite frankly have Goddard in the centre square.

The reason is that he has a bigger body, has disposal skills and has above average ability in reading the play.

What we have lacked is a bigger body under the ruck contest - and we continually get cut up by that type of player who normally get 30 plus possessions against us.

It is conceded that our ruck deficiency does not assist our cause because, simply, our rucks are just too short to compete in the "premier league" - our best 2 rucking options, including for what they can contribute to around the ground, are Koschitzke and Brooks - and both are just too short to lead the rucks.

In 2008 we will, hopefully, have a fully fit and commited Gardiner, but, again, he is only 199cm - so he will also give away vital height and need to jump.

But, given Gardiner will be more than useful pushing around the ground, that releases Koschitzke to a key forward position (and Roo to an up ground role floating where ever he wants) and means Koschitzke and Brooks are not competing for the one spot - as we have had this year.

So hopefully Gardiner with back up from Brooks and occasionally Koschitzke can create the contests to put the ball to the immediate advantage of Goddard's positioning - and that frees Ball, who, again hopefully, will be fully fit in 2008.

Ball is hammered because he does not have the body to play the game he is playing at St Kilda (also because of his current restrictions) - and that is why he needs to be freed of that role and allowed to run and create.

I would be looking at Goddard as the mid-field director.

congorozides
Club Player

i reckon we have no choice but to play him at CHB.
191 cm is tall enough. only gives away 2-3cm on the tallest CHF's.
dont see any other options. My first 22 looks like this. You notice the forward pocket position. We could put Sampi there? Risky I know.

L Fisher Maguire S Fisher

Gram BJ Gilbert

Montagna Dal X Clarke

Attard Riewoldt Milne

Koszi Watts ?

F: Gardner Hayes Ball

I/C: Armitage, Harvey, R Clarke, ?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I'm going to suggest forward pocket crumber: it seems to be about the only position that hasn't been suggested yet! :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:i reckon we have no choice but to play him at CHB.
191 cm is tall enough. only gives away 2-3cm on the tallest CHF's.
dont see any other options. My first 22 looks like this. You notice the forward pocket position. We could put Sampi there? Risky I know.

L Fisher Maguire S Fisher

Gram BJ Gilbert

Montagna Dal X Clarke

Attard Riewoldt Milne

Koszi Watts ?

F: Gardner Hayes Ball

I/C: Armitage, Harvey, R Clarke, ?

What about Max? Still has a couple of good years in him if he can get his soft tissue injuries under control. Is a gun backman.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I would love it, I doubt we would see it though. Bj would be a great CHF, though not completely conventional. Would be great to have him kicking for goal, he is a VERY smart footballer as well, though with the knee not 100%, ease him into it in 08, no need to rush things, as we saw with lenny in the 2nd half of the year, started playing more like lenny hayes does.

Carpe Diem
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

It's a bit of a misnomer that Max is injury prone. He struggled this year (mainly due to having no pre season) but last year is played most games & was borderline All Australian. It really surprises me that people want to write him off.

If Maxy can get a good pre season under his belt then he will be the rock of gibralter at full back. He still has a 2 good seasons left, time to groom another to take over.

Sam23
SS Life Member

Always has been a forward for mine...

I was happy to see him play down back in '06 to develop him but...

He doesn't have the pace for midfield, but he is quick off the mark, reads the ball well and is v. strong.

Could hold down a KPF position...if we left him their for a season he'd be a 40-50 goal a season player imo.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Sam23 wrote:
He doesn't have the pace for midfield, but he is quick off the mark, reads the ball well and is v. strong.

Yup, he also reads the ball so well he dosen't need to be quick.

Carpe Diem
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

forward line i'd like to see

hf: goddard, riewoldt, gilbert
f: milne, kosi, ball

kosi must play ff imo. as evertonfc said in another post kosi is a handy ruckman but potentially a superstar full-forward.

one of the few blokes in the league who can consistently take big pack marks ... an ability i regard as vital in negating the flooding tactics employed so often these days. he's also a good kick for goal.

i like the above half-forward line. it is tall and mobile and a difficult match-up for any opposition.

biggest problem for st kilda at the moment is finding a ruckman to allow kosi to play forward

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:didn't reiwoldt kick a bag a few years ago at FF? I can't imagine with the new rules any FB getting close enough to him to push him in the back with his speed...
i'm sure riewoldt could play there successfully, but imo he's too valuable doing what he's doing.

also why would we use a bloke with his enormous endurance in the most static position on the ground?

roo's great strength is his mobility and i reckon his best value to the team is at chf or on the wing.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:forward line i'd like to see

hf: goddard, riewoldt, gilbert
f: milne, kosi, ball

kosi must play ff imo. as evertonfc said in another post kosi is a handy ruckman but potentially a superstar full-forward.

one of the few blokes in the league who can consistently take big pack marks ... an ability i regard as vital in negating the flooding tactics employed so often these days. he's also a good kick for goal.

i like the above half-forward line. it is tall and mobile and a difficult match-up for any opposition.

biggest problem for st kilda at the moment is finding a ruckman to allow kosi to play forward
I like that but have ball swap with x into the midfield. Both half forwards need to work bakc and run with the direction of the ball carriers.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't think being a FF is a static position.

you could play or raw brawn, but frankly I reckon Rewoldt would run the pants off any FB.

Also with milne, Goddard etc if he does lead outside the F50, they would run into the space to receive the subsequent pass.

SHUT UP KRIME!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:i'm sure riewoldt could play there successfully, but imo he's too valuable doing what he's doing.
Some might say he's also too valuable to be run into the ground each week as has happened this year. If he plays at FF, I reckon there'd be some possibility that he might keep going past the age of 28.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

reiwoldt could concievebly be the next 100 goal FF.

he has so much talent it burns.

match that to work ethic on par with harvey and james hurd and you ahve a frighteningly talented player.

Im sick of seeing these guys either burn out or leave the club with nothing but memories (burke, loewe, spud frawley etc) throw in harvey if he calls it in the off season.

SHUT UP KRIME!
SaintWodonga
Club Player

One of the best things about BJ is the fact he can play in a number of postions. He can play taller than he is for his height. I think he could play CHF

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM