Goddard to CHF?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Playing Riewoldt at FF is a waste of his biggest talent, his ability to run and create.

I'd like to see Goddard play the first half of the season across Half Forward, with Riewoldt pushing up a little further.

The biggest problem with having Riewoldt on a wing is that he's got no-one to kick to unless gehrig leads outside 50.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard to CHF?

Dan Warna wrote:he can mark,
Aginst other flankers and midfielders? Yes. Against key defenders? No.
he is strong enough to bust packs
Has he ever done that? No.
he is very good over head
He is ok overhead for a flanker.
he has a booming kick
Absolutely.
he had an enourmous engine
No he doesn't. Ever since he was drafted he has been saying that he wants to play in the midfield, but isn't fit enough. With his knee reco I doubt we'll see him near his fitness of early 2007 until very late in 2008.
and while not pacey for a midfielder, has enough pace for a KPP
There is very little difference in burst speed for mids and talls these days. He is not quick for any type of player.
he has height, strength, endurance and courage

Again, he has the height to dominate against other flankers but not against talls. He has the strength to bully flankers, but put him up against the likes of Rutten, Glass, Merret, Scarlett, Clement, Michael etc and he will be pushed around with ease.

Goddard is a flanker. He will either play as the loose man in defence or as a third option going forward. When he gets his fitness to the required level he might move into the middle. He is not a key position player.

carn_sainter
Club Player

How many B&F's doe Riewoldt have to win (coming up to 4, by the way) for people to realise he is a GUN CHF?

Roo is a CHF...he'll find his way down deep every now and then but he is our CHF!

I agree with the school of thought that Goddard's kicking from the defensive half is to valuable to take away...his foot skills are that good that he could turn an otherwise average mark into a very good mark by hitting them perfectly...

But he will be pushed through the midfield every now and then as well

My problem with these such threads is that they ignore the absolute incessantly dynamic nature of a footy field...players will be changing all over the place all the time...goddard from wing, to half back, to rover, etc etc many times over...

roo will start on the edge of the square, then in the goal square, then inbetween etc etc...

roles change ever so frequently, so pigeon-holing is rather moot

With that in mind, here's my 08 line-up without Harvs:

B: Fisher - Max - Fisher
HB: Gram - Maguire - Raph
C: Fiora - Hayes - Goddard
HF: X - Roo - Gilbert
F: Milne - Kosi - Ball

R: Gardiner - Dal Santo - Joey
INT: Baker - Blake - Birss

BUT all this will change over pre-season
Brooks is my FF hope if Kosi has to ruck

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I've posted it before and I'll say it again...

Get Goddard to play Hamill's role - similar body shape and a great kick for goal. Probably lacks Hamill's defensive pressure and desire to win contested footy, but I'm sure this could be plugged into him.

At 191, he's going to take a key defender as well, yet still be agile enough to do plenty of damage at ground level.

We already have a FB (Max). We already have a CHB (Goose). We already have a CHF (Roo). We already have a FF (Kosi). So please, stop talking about him like he is our next KPP hero - we're still well stocked here. We need him for a different role; the floating third-forward who can kick goals, take a grab and provide a presence at ground level.

He may ultimately end up in defence, maybe even as our FB. Who knows. But I do, however, think that in 2008, we need to utilise his deadly kicking in our forward half.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

the hamill/keogh/powell role tends to burn players out VERY quickly.

powell was finished midway through 06, and he gave everything for a couple of seasons, sziller was finished prematurely, as was keogh and Greig as far as their respective careers.

powell used his body as a battering ram, at other clubs, michael voss, dermot brereton are others who were finished 'early' (dermie and voss were probably finished at the top level at 27/28)

we missing having a homicidal/suicidal nutcase in teh clinches, on the other hand why would you waste goddard in that role?

if we can get 25 games (yeppers :D) out of hamill next year, I'd be rapt.

tbh I'd be happy with 15 and the finals at the top level.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Sam23
SS Life Member

Everton.

He was our #1 pick who had the more talent than anyone in any of the other drafts before Murphy and Gibbs.....which is what I read the other day.

As if he couldn't play CHF if Roo wants a rest in the square while Koschitzke goes round in the ruck. Silly accusation to say he is nothing better than a third tall forward? Copeland is a third tall, Bock is a third tall etc. Goddard is >>>>>> them both. Please, he is one of the most talented players on our list to go with the fact he f****** dominated '06 as a defender..and then this year looked good whenever he went forward before doing his knee.

That post is up there with the 1999 post you made this week.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I like him more in the back half...

not only is he a good defensive player but he forces his opponent up the ground to be accountable...

the kind of player who could drift down and bang a goal from 50 out

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:reiwoldt could concievebly be the next 100 goal FF..
true. so could kosi.

you'd reckon that with our talent we'd be taking part in september

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Some might say roo is also too valuable to be run into the ground each week as has happened this year. If he plays at FF, I reckon there'd be some possibility that he might keep going past the age of 28.
i could say the same thing about kosi being used for hack ruck work every week, too, particularly with his injury history. perhaps we could start with kosi at ff and roo at chf and swap them according to the match situation.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Goddard has publicly stated that he wants to make a name for himself, likes playing and thinks his future is, in the backline

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
nicko016
Club Player

I like Goddard in the forward half but not at CHF. He'd be much better on HF flank where he would get the 3rd or 4th tall and would be able to outmark his opponent. His delivery and precise kicking could be a real asset around 50 in kicking goals and setting up other players. Plus, I rather have my best players except for a few and back the midfielders to have the ball in the forward half more than it is in the back half so thus the the majoirty of our good players are around the ball more. I could easily see him filling the O'Keefe role with occasional sprints on the wing and through the midfield.