Seaby - Can he play?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Seaby - Can he play?

Lynch Beast wrote:Don't be surprised to see Seaby at the saints in 08

i won't anything else :wink:
Lynch Beast is a WCE supporter who occasionally posts here and never trolls.

His posts are usually pretty accurate when it comes to WCE players. he posted the above in another thread.

Thought it was worth a seperate thread for discussion.

I haven't seen to much of Seaby play so dont know much about him.

Can the guy play and is what is he worth (please try to be sensible) in a trade?

We have lost Clarke, Brooks looks like he is gone, Gardiner is an iffy proposition and that leaves just Kosi, whom i still reckon is wasted in the ruck. Oh and Rix I suppose :wink:

is Seaby worth the punt or are we just turning into WCE dumping ground for WCE has been ruckmen?

Thoughts?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Wish I had a crystal ball JB...

If I knew for a fact that Gardy can get a solid pre-season under his belt and be ready to line up in Round 1, Id say no to Seaby.

Watched Kosi's first quarter at fairly close range on Saturday. His reading of the ball drop and his body positioning were a thing of beauty. I agree he would be somewhat wasted in the ruck, but I also saw him rove his own tap out and snap a goal in a movement that art the time I called Cox-esque.

Perfect world for me?? Gardiner and Kosi rotating in the ruck and resting up forward, where they can take the stoppages and let the actual ruckman drop back a kick behind (something very much lacking this season IMHO)

With Rix and Blake for support and Van Rheenan bubbling away for the Scorps..this ideal world scenario would let us concentrate on a couple of turbo-charged mids.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
stinger
Saintsational Legend

seaby can play...would be an okay proposition.....personally, i think rix will be delisted ..and now that fraser has called it a day, watts and brooks will be given another year.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

just on the way selections have gone this year..I reckon Rix will stay and Brooks is gone. I dont actaully agree with this, Im just calling it from selections esp during the 2nd half of the year

Watts is as good as assured of another year with Fraser's retirement IMHO . Has to play FF in every practice match and given a chance to settle

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
JeffDunne

Seaby should have been the target earlier. Any ruckman stuck behind such a clear #1 should have been our target last off-season rather than the targets we were forced to go after.

Ross and his team clearly didn't have the time last year to pull off any such trade so let's hope this year with a decent preparation they can address some of our glaring weaknesses.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

don't agree ...rix is gone...not up to standard and we will never improve playing him..........

Sam23
SS Life Member

He's no Cox/White/Jolly/Everitt but he can play.

Better than Gardiner imo...when Cox went down Seaby #1 ruck, Gardy was #2.

Would be will to trade pick 27 for him.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:don't agree ...rix is gone...not up to standard and we will never improve playing him..........
personally 100% agree with ya stinger..but it seems the match committee see it differently...time till tell I guess :_)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Seaby can play. He's a decent mark, a willing big body, and although not as good a mover as Cox or even Kosi is far better than Rix IMO. He rests forward for WC and has kicked a few handy goals for them from strong pack marks. His tapwork is decent as well. Well worth a look at if he's available.

eppo67
Club Player

Have to go for him or Wood from up here.

It will be totally irresponsible for the coaching staff to gamble on Gardiner to be inj. free and have an impact.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't want him. Unless we didn't have to give up much for him.

Is basically Rix who is slightly better around the ground.

If he is 24-25 then we should have a punt, 3rd round pick + a player at best though.

eppo67
Club Player

What is this Watts will be given another year. He is just turning 22 and is a 1st Round draft pick FFS.

He will get plenty more years. Bad injuries a very limited opportunities at this stage. I cant believe this 'yeah Watts will be given another year with Fraz retiring.' Goodness me!!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:...rix is gone...not up to standard and we will never improve playing him..........
For once I agree. Rix simply isn't good enough to beat any AFL-standard opponent and shouldn't be on the list. Blake is a far better option in the ruck. But he was selected to play in 17 games this year, so I doubt he'll get the chop for another year or two.

st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

Not really - just a run of the mill #2 ruckman with avg stats.......

Flies on the coat tails of a magic midfield and one D.Cox.....who can actually play

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

When Cox has missed through injury Seaby has been very good.

Round 1 v Sydney
Seaby - 13 disposals, 4 marks, 2 goals, 2 tackles, 23 hitouts
Jolly - 7 disposals, 3 marks, 24 hitouts

Round 2 v Collingwood
Seaby - 13 disposals, 4 marks, 5 tackles, 24 hitouts
Fraser - 9 disposals, 3 marks, 19 hitouts

Round 7 v Geelong
Seaby - 17 disposals, 7 marks, 4 tackles, 16 hitouts
Blake - 13 disposals, 4 marks, 23 hitouts

West Coast would want pick 9 for him. Seaby is a 23 year old, 200cm, 100kg ruckman who has played 81 games. He was taken with pick 22 in the 2001 draft (considered the third best ruck option behind Hale and Brooks).

I would be very reluctant to give them pick 9 and miss out on a first round draft pick, but if we could do a deal along the lines of Seaby and Pick 16 for Pick 9 and Pick 27/Fergus Watts I would be thrilled.

That would mean we have no need for Rix and we could afford to lose Watts, as Kosi could become a permanent forward with Brooks/Allen as backup.

Our ruck options would be
Seaby
Gardiner
Koschitzke
Blake
Brooks
(Rix)

Our forward options
Riewoldt
Koschitzke
Brooks
Allen
Gilbert
(Watts)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

look at it this way if cox breaks his leg next year ans WC have traded Seaby to us the WC rucks are non existant ... they aint that dumb WC will demand a first round pick and a player .. you dont trade your back up just cause hes not you no.1 back ups are very important its fringe players and players who have baggage you trade

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bungiton
SS Life Member

I posted a week or two ago that we should take a serious attempt to get Seeby.

At the toastie girls he will always be number two behind Cox, at the Saints he gets an opportunity to be number one in his own right. If it costs us a first round draft pick, stiff, how many posts are sitting in the archives of this illustrious site regarding our ruck department??

An 81 game 200 cm ruckman who can take the ruck then rest in the square to give Kosi a ten minute stint on the ball would go a long way to getting a few things sorted at the saints.

Lets face it a bloke who can get his hand to the ball, play around the ground and drift forward and kick a few goals would never be a handy player for us would he??

It is one risk I would definately consider in the positives.

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:I posted a week or two ago that we should take a serious attempt to get Seeby.

At the toastie girls he will always be number two behind Cox, at the Saints he gets an opportunity to be number one in his own right. If it costs us a first round draft pick, stiff, how many posts are sitting in the archives of this illustrious site regarding our ruck department??

An 81 game 200 cm ruckman who can take the ruck then rest in the square to give Kosi a ten minute stint on the ball would go a long way to getting a few things sorted at the saints.

Lets face it a bloke who can get his hand to the ball, play around the ground and drift forward and kick a few goals would never be a handy player for us would he??

It is one risk I would definately consider in the positives.
again WC wouldnt be keen on off loading him will cost us big especially with carlton and richmond also keen on a ruckman we couldnt afford to let him slip to the psd (not that WC would allow that they aint gunna lose a player for nothing)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bungiton
SS Life Member

I know Trav, but I was sure the toasties had another prospective ruck up their sleeves.

Seaby, if he is keen to go will demand a price, lets face it he aint ever gunna remove cox for at least a few years, he is reportedly hungry for a move that gets him a more important role on game day.

As you said the eagles wont want to ose him for nothing, if he goes it will be a trade and we need to have some balls to make it work, what is pick nine, compared to a number one ruck that has a potential to improve and play for at least another 100 to 150 games?

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
Saintgaz
Club Player

Seaby's going to re-sign with West Coast soon.
There was talk that he was looking at moving, but it won't happen.

One day it's all got to be worth it.
Right????
Sam23
SS Life Member

eppo67 wrote:What is this Watts will be given another year. He is just turning 22 and is a 1st Round draft pick FFS.

He will get plenty more years. Bad injuries a very limited opportunities at this stage. I cant believe this 'yeah Watts will be given another year with Fraz retiring.' Goodness me!!
Totally agree, I still think he will be star.

It takes some players 5 years to develop enough...he has only been in the system for 3 years and was out for one with a broken ankle.

Give the kid a go....

SaintDippa
Club Player

Seaby? We don't need another injury prone big man.

Rix. Gone. He and M Clarke had every opportunity to shine. No shine, no shimmer. No glisten or gleem. Give Brooks a solid pre-season and a chance in '08.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote:Seaby? We don't need another injury prone big man.
Since when has Seaby been injury-prone?

22 games so far in 2007
23 games in 2006
19 games in 2005
17 games in 2004

stinger
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:What is this Watts will be given another year. He is just turning 22 and is a 1st Round draft pick FFS.

i was actuallt poo-pooing the posters who keep saying that watts and brooks will be delisted...ffs..it ain't going to happen......especially now fraser has gone..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :evil: